OT: Who is An Argos Fan?

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
If this story has legs, could the Chad Kelly era be over?

From Rick Westhead last week

Reactions: hockeywiz542

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

There were a couple of reasons Hajrullahu opted to return to Toronto. One was his relationship with Argos special teams coordinator Mickey Donovan, who was a coach at Western University when Hajrullahu was on his way to setting the all-time Canadian university scoring record.

“Toronto, Hamilton, and multiple other teams always stayed connected while I was down in the NFL. Mickey has always been in contact, even when he was in Montreal before he went to Toronto. He said, ‘Once you’re ready, you let me know if you’re thinking of coming back.’”

One of his other former teams was doing the same thing.

Hajrullahu was also hearing from the Hamilton Tiger-Cats, the team with which he played for two seasons, reaching the Grey Cup final in 2019. He asked for his release after that season to pursue his NFL dream and in return he said he’d talk to the Ticats first if he returned to the CFL, which he did before signing in Toronto.

“Things have changed a little bit. I’m working in downtown Toronto, so I tried to make both situations work for me, my football and post-football careers. From the get-go the Argos said, ‘Let us know what we can do for you to be successful, and we’ll make it happen.’ For me, it made a lot more sense to play for the Argos because they were being so understanding of my post-football career. It made the decision a lot easier.”

With John Haggerty coming back to punt for the Argos, the reduced responsibilities for Hajrullahu also came into play. The Boatmen were able to give him more flexibility in terms of practicing, while the Ticats were not as willing to be adhere to his requests to allow him to pursue his other career.

The 33-year-old with the Hon. BA, MA, and MBA is working in the wealth management field with Richter, an operation that’s on the verge of celebrating its 100th anniversary. He spent four years prior to that working with KPMG while he was chasing his NFL dream and is now fully entrenched in the GTA commuter grind, able to drive to work with his wife, Deniza Januzi, from their home in Oakville.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad