Who hits 50 goals first? Laine or Matthews.

Who hits 50 goals first? Laine or Matthews.

• Laine

Votes: 248 60.3%
  • Matthews

Votes: 129 31.4%
  • Neither do it in their careers.

Votes: 34 8.3%

• Total voters

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Never quite understand why so many people enjoy kicking someone when they’re down?

Classy, I must say.

3/4 of a year hearing comments like "leafs picked the wrong guy" and "laine is better and LAINEC" will do that to a fan base

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
3/4 of a year hearing comments like "leafs picked the wrong guy" and "laine is better and LAINEC" will do that to a fan base
I’d consider the source. It was a handful of unreasonable Finnish posters who’ve disappeared along with any reasonable debate.

As someone mentioned, don’t hold others accountable for their nonsense.

leafsfan1234

Jun 18, 2016
I’d consider the source. It was a handful of unreasonable Finnish posters who’ve disappeared along with any reasonable debate.

As someone mentioned, don’t hold others accountable for their nonsense.
:laugh: more like 90% of non-Leafs fans. There would have been parades in the streets all across Canada if Matthews had busted.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
:laugh: more like 90% of non-Leafs fans. There would have been parades in the streets all across Canada if Matthews had busted.
Fair enough. I won’t put a number on it, but you’re probably right. A lot of unnecessary hate was certainly following the discussion.

I just think it reflects poorly on a group I’m apart of. Sore winners are just as bad as sore losers.

Matthews has always been the far superior player and anyone with a qualified hockey opinion knew this... Taking shots at the guy who lost the race reflects poorly on those who do it.

Reactions: Johnny Steps

DatSnipeMatthews

Oct 5, 2017
Canada
This poll was started September 30th, 2017 and look at the results so far. People either don't watch hockey or hate the Leafs. It's clear as day that Laine doesn't come remotely close to Matthews in anything other than his shot.
Laine is on the same tier as guys like Nylander, Pasternak, Ehlers etc... but not even close to Matthews.

tomi2

Mar 1, 2007
This poll was started September 30th, 2017 and look at the results so far. People either don't watch hockey or hate the Leafs. It's clear as day that Laine doesn't come remotely close to Matthews in anything other than his shot.
Laine is on the same tier as guys like Nylander, Pasternak, Ehlers etc... but not even close to Matthews.

For these younglings I'd suggest calm down a little. The season has barely started. Laine has started slow (And Auston has had a fantastic start) but there's lots of hockey to be played.

Reactions: 1OApick

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
For these younglings I'd suggest calm down a little. The season has barely started. Laine has started slow (And Auston has had a fantastic start) but there's lots of hockey to be played.

Although you are 100 percent correct, I still think we are seeing a clear separation between these two.

Regardless though, I love them both lol

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
The thing is last year at this time Laine is the one who started hot and Matthews was going through his 13 game goal less streak. I remember a lot of Laine fans declared the Calder race over and he would win it. Even though this season is different and neither one of them can win it ever again, now that things have changed with Matthews starting hot and Laine not having the same start why should we hear the season has barely started.

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
The thing is last year at this time Laine is the one who started hot and Matthews was going through his 13 game goal less streak. I remember a lot of Laine fans declared the Calder race over and he would win it. Even though this season is different and neither one of them can win it ever again, now that things have changed with Matthews starting hot and Laine not having the same start why should we hear the season has barely started.

Because we would be sinking to their level. It was honestly a small minority of Jet fans that were really obnoxious. I think most understood it was far from over last year, and that this year is early. I just don't want to kick the young player when he is down.

Reactions: Narow

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Because we would be sinking to their level. It was honestly a small minority of Jet fans that were really obnoxious. I think most understood it was far from over last year, and that this year is early. I just don't want to kick the young player when he is down.
I agree we don't need to sink to their level and it was some of Laine's fans that made it hard to hate him, because it was not fair to Laine himself. My personal opinion is why should there be a different set of rules for Matthews when talking about his start this season when comparing to Laine's start.

Reactions: DanM

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
I agree we don't need to sink to their level and it was some of Laine's fans that made it hard to hate him, because it was not fair to Laine himself. My personal opinion is why should there be a different set of rules for Matthews when talking about his start this season when comparing to Laine's start.

Agreed! What they said last year has bitten them in the ass a bit, and the rules should be the same for every player. There is a clear level of separation between Matty and Laine for now,but that could change. I just felt bad for the amount of pressure certain posters put on Laine to be this generational winger, it was absurd.

In the end who knows how both turn out, Laine is an exceptional talent as well, just need to let both players round out their games and see where they stack up down the road. However, last year those posters made it very hard to like the kid at times lol which is sad because I love watching him play!

Narow

Nov 11, 2016

And even so Laines "down" is still pretty good. Its just that matthews start has been other wordly.

People should learn from those celebrating too early last season...especially when it comes tp a guy that can have an off game and still put up multiple points. That said Matthews is not the type of player that is easy to catch ones he has the lead ^^

Jesus 8 goals already

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
And even so Laines "down" is still pretty good. Its just that matthews start has been other wordly.

People should learn from those celebrating too early last season...especially when it comes tp a guy that can have an off game and still put up multiple points. That said Matthews is not the type of player that is easy to catch ones he has the lead ^^

Jesus 8 goals already

Oh Laine is an exceptional talent, very elite. His "down" is better than many players "best" lol He will grow and become a better player as he matures. It is way to early overall to judge any player, even the Mcdavids of the world.

Matty has been unreal, and his numbers are very sustainable, I feel like he will be at minimum a PPG two way possession dominant force when the year is over.

I could also see Laine getting hot with the right line mates and sniping 50, he has the talent, just need to make the adjustments.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario

Jesus 8 goals already
If both of them had these exact same starts last season I wonder if the media would be talking about it? Last year the Calder was on the line and this year I don't think much or anything has been said about Laine's "slow start" this season if you want to call it that.

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
If both of them had these exact same starts last season I wonder if the media would be talking about it? Last year the Calder was on the line and this year I don't think much or anything has been said about Laine's "slow start" this season if you want to call it that.

Agreed

Last year the Calder race added another level to it. I think this year it's flying under the radar, which is good for the kid in the media at least. Even on the boards here it has been a lot less prevalent.

I fully believe if the kid can make adjustments, and get the proper line mates, he could score 50. I think what holds him back are board play, speed, vision and want to go into the dirty areas, find the holes and read the play better as a scorer, but he is still young and growing.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

DanM

Oct 2, 2017

Tell you this, I salivate at the thought of Matthews dishing off to Laine on the same line..... It would not be remotely fair to the rest of the league :popcorn::popcorn::nod:

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Agreed

Last year the Calder race added another level to it. I think this year it's flying under the radar, which is good for the kid in the media at least. Even on the boards here it has been a lot less prevalent.

I fully believe if the kid can make adjustments, and get the proper line mates, he could score 50. I think what holds him back are board play, speed, vision and want to go into the dirty areas, find the holes and read the play better as a scorer, but he is still young and growing.
Who knows what their goals and points totals will look like the next time the Leafs and Jets play, however based on what we have seen so far I hope the media ignores their "rivalry" since their next game is not until March 31, 2018.

Reactions: DanM

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
Who knows what their goals and points totals will look like the next time the Leafs and Jets play, however based on what we have seen so far I hope the media ignores their "rivalry" since their next game is not until March 31, 2018.

Completely off topic, but I had a poll idea one day, can you imagine of both Eichel and Matthews were Canadian, could you imagine olympic centre depth of Mcdavid, Sid, Matty, and Eichel. I don't even know how you could match that lol

And yeah, the media needs to stop this rivalry. They don't even face each enough, and the don't dislike each other either lol

Reactions: LeafsNation75

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
And yeah, the media needs to stop this rivalry. They don't even face each enough, and the don't dislike each other either lol
If the reverse happened where Columbus got the 2nd pick in 2016 and selected Laine, which meant Winnipeg would have won the 3rd pick I still don't think there would be a rivalry between them that the media says there is. Yes Matthews would have played against Laine a lot more with both being in the Eastern Conference. However is that something the media in Columbus would have cared about and would TSN and Sportsnet also cared? So it's easier for them since Laine plays in Winnipeg despite playing Mattews 2x each season.

Lovedemfanboys

Oct 25, 2017
Tell you this, I salivate at the thought of Matthews dishing off to Laine on the same line..... It would not be remotely fair to the rest of the league :popcorn::popcorn::nod:

Man, that would be a dream. I completely understand the reasons for this whole "kicking other side when there´s a even slight chance". But for the relatively neutral fan this is a nightmare. For me, both Laine and Matthews are the most interesting players in the league at the moment, and this "mine is better because he´s younger/C/advanced stats/I know him/I follow him on twitter/My sister went to school with his cousin" "your made mistake hahaa" is way too much. L-M-N/E line would be one of the most entertaining lines in the history of hockey. (Although, I´m pretty sure that the rest of this forum would bail :D)

TheRexman

Just have fun
Jul 5, 2015
Quebec City
Fair enough. I won’t put a number on it, but you’re probably right. A lot of unnecessary hate was certainly following the discussion.

I just think it reflects poorly on a group I’m apart of. Sore winners are just as bad as sore losers.

Matthews has always been the far superior player and anyone with a qualified hockey opinion knew this... Taking shots at the guy who lost the race reflects poorly on those who do it.

I understand where you're coming from. I also understand why some Leaf fans are not going to ever let this go. When we were bad......really really bad, and it looked like we were never going to do a proper rebuild, every fanbase out there took the opportunity to kick, stomp, spit, drag through the mud, whatever you want to call it, they did it to Leafs fans and they enjoyed every minute of it. They've sure proven they can't take the return feed.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I understand where you're coming from. I also understand why some Leaf fans are not going to ever let this go. When we were bad......really really bad, and it looked like we were never going to do a proper rebuild, every fanbase out there took the opportunity to kick, stomp, spit, drag through the mud, whatever you want to call it, they did it to Leafs fans and they enjoyed every minute of it. They've sure proven they can't take the return feed.
While I believe the Leafs fans should be more mature and not like other fan bases did when we were a bad team, I can also see why other Leafs fans like to give those fan bases the same treatment with how we were talked about.

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
With those kind of facts you must be the most popular kid in school.
Fact Laine scored at a higher rate than Matthews
Fact Laine is a beast and has won more championships than Matthews ever has
Fact Laine scored more goals in the nhl at age 18 than Matthews did
Fact Matthews would have even been in the top 2 players drafted, if we was born 2days later
Fact Laine is killing Matthews in this poll. Obviously Laine is the beast, and Matthews is a kitten, and will never be the player Laine is.

Am I doing this right? Now those are facts.

Ps. I threw the kitten one in there to show an opinion...the rest are facts.

:huh:

You realize this isn't a fact right? It's a hypothetical scenario where you have assumed an outcome.

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
Let's do some math here.

8 goals in 10 games = 65.6 (rounded up to 66) goals over an 82 game pace. That's an 0.8 GPG pace. Matthews finished with 40 last year in 82 games which is a 0.487 gpg pace. If you assume that Matthews scores at his rookie season pace for goals purely for the last 72 games then -> that's 35 goals plus his current 8 which would give him 43. He's playing better now and is a clearly better player. It's now down to him to up his last year's pace through a good stretch to make it easier.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad