Who hits 50 goals first? Laine or Matthews.

Who hits 50 goals first? Laine or Matthews.

• Laine

Votes: 248 60.3%
  • Matthews

Votes: 129 31.4%
  • Neither do it in their careers.

Votes: 34 8.3%

• Total voters

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
Idk man, depends on a lot of things. Does Matthews keep improving(does Nylander and Hyman as well), can he still improve if his has an extra minute or two per game?

Does Laine get 1st Line PP minutes and 19 minutes a game as well as rely more on playmaking linemates(as Ehlers and Scheifele are more of Snipers/Shooters IMO, while Wheeler is a true Playmkaer).

I think both will because they're that talented but it depends which coach puts more trust in they're Superstar IMO.

Mar 26, 2010
Both have the potential to score 50 in the NHL.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Laine has his ridiculous shot, Matthews has his ridiculous scoring chance generation. I expect both to hit 50 at some point

Paradoc

John Tavares is a Leaf!
Mar 13, 2013
Toronto
I think Matthew will because he of his ability to score from any scenario (in front of net, on rush, etc.)

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
My guess for career high's when it's all said and done in 20yrs:
Matthews: 47 goals
Laine: 54 goals

Crosby, Malkin, Stamkos, and Lecavalier are the most recent 50 goal scoring centers.
Jagr, Cheechoo, Iginla, Kovalchuk, Heatley, Ovechkin, and Perry are the most recent wingers.

Outside of Lecavalier, that's some pretty tough company to join for Matthews. Crosby and Malkin are simply on another level at their best, and Stamkos is just that good as a pure goal scorer. Lecavalier was also in a higher scoring year, so it looks to be tough for a center to crack 50 now a days.

As for wingers... those names aren't all amazing. I think Laine kind of fits right in. It just seems a little easier for wingers to hit 50... especially if they have good playmakers around them.

Last edited:

flamesforcup

Sep 5, 2017
Easily Laine. I think Matthews takes a step back with Goals this year will be very surprised to see him get near 40 let alone 40. Expecting a 60-70 point season sophomore slump with maybe 30 goals. Who knows i can be totally off lol

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Matthews

Finds high scoring chances with ease, and has higher shot generation, a lethal combination that will help him hit 50

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Easily Laine. I think Matthews takes a step back with Goals this year will be very surprised to see him get near 40 let alone 40. Expecting a 60-70 point season sophomore slump with maybe 30 goals. Who knows i can be totally off lol

Won't say you are wrong, but he does not look off this pre-season, in fact he looks so much better. Improved his first step and his skating is noticeably quicker, has been a scoring chance generating machine, and has something like 7 points in his 4 games. I think he can very easily get to 40 goals again.

TDK67

Apr 17, 2016

I know pre-season is pretty meaningless, but Matthews is leading the league in goals right now with 5 goals in 4 games. He's visibly improved his speed and strength and really doesn't look like he's about to take a step back when it comes to goal scoring.

Narow

Nov 11, 2016
Based on past trends about 2-5 games distance from eachother :) both have the skill and ability to hit 50. I think maybe not this season but soon enough.

Iceman

Jun 9, 2014
I think Laine has the best shot to do it. He is THE guy in Winnipeg. He is a good passer too but in Toronto Matthews gets the puck to Nylander as well. I think both are capable of doing it, if it's a high scoring year.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Who the hell knows with these 2 crazy guys, both have the potential, if Matthews tries to become more of a 2way beast it will likely take away a bit from his scoring, so not scoring at full potential like Bergeron.

I think Laine has the best shot to do it. He is THE guy in Winnipeg. He is a good passer too but in Toronto Matthews gets the puck to Nylander as well. I think both are capable of doing it, if it's a high scoring year.

One of Laines "weaknesses" last year was that he liked to pass the puck often to his linemates instead of shooting it, even when he had a better ange, felt like he was trying to be polite, I'd like to see him more aggressive with his shot. He has one of the best shots in the league and should just use it constantly. He gives the team the best chance to score.
+Of course wouldn't hurt Maurice to play him on the #1pp.

Saitama

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 20, 2010
Winnipeg
I hope they both make it and I believe they both can. I think Laine will win the race this year though.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

So you are expecting a big injury then because that's the only way that happens. IF he stays healthy he gets 85 points

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Matthews has a stronger supporting cast which is saying something because Laine has a great cast but he doesn't have as much help

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad