Who hits 50 goals first? Laine or Matthews.

Who hits 50 goals first? Laine or Matthews.

• Laine

Votes: 248 60.3%
  • Matthews

Votes: 129 31.4%
  • Neither do it in their careers.

Votes: 34 8.3%

• Total voters

Narow

Nov 11, 2016
It wasn't a large vocal group as claimed. But the 70-80 goals and 160 points was indeed stated several times.

Even 100+ goals was said at some point.... this is why i think , partly atleast, it was said... we are still going on about it months after..

If i was a person enjoying it i would be making crazy predictions and statements all day just to see us going on and on.

It is just too easy after that insane post draft clash between fans over these two players...

Im not the only one seeing this right???

Last edited:

Narow

Nov 11, 2016
For the sake of you - sure, I'll put the banter aside.

The league has really picked up on Laine's tendencies this year and he needs to adjust. Take away his open looks and play him rough and he's a non-factor, Columbus demonstrated this to a tee last night. I think the Finnish crew needs to stop blaming Little and Maurice for Laine under performing.

There were some tell-tale signs from last year that Laine had a bit of lady luck on his side: He scored a ton of points against 3 teams (not sure about the exact numbers), Dallas, Toronto and St. Louis. He had 11 goals in his first 15 games and the league was clearly caught off-guard as they had no idea how good he was at shooting the puck. His OISH% (Scheif's too) was insane, you cannot expect them to sustain that (again, the Finnish crew thought he could). And he did capitalize off some empty net opportunities (this pertains more to the Matthews comparison though).

These things got taken for granted for the most part. I do think Laine can overcome this and be one of the best offensive players in the league - but I sincerely believe his lack of explosive skating will hold him back to a degree unless he improves upon it. The best goal-scorers of the last decade (Ovechkin, Kovalchuk, etc..) all had this trait. Laine honestly skates more like Dany Heatley (before he became terrible) than those guys. Heatley relied on Spezza to set him up to do his thing, and as it stands so far, Laine will need to rely on other players for him to do his thing.

Thanks, i appreciate it.

Some interesting points here. I would also like to add most of his goals were actually against backup goallies too! Or atleast a large part if im not entirely miss remembering here.

Also the heatley comparison do make sense at this point. They look kinda similar on the ice too from what i habe seen (very limited just some quick highlight videos).

I also think Laine can adapt and overcome these obstacles and i also agree that he needs to improve his skating (mainly acceleration) if he is to be among the best. He is allways a threat with that shot still but it would allow him to unlock more parts to his game and go to the next level.

Also when it comes to his production this season his underlying numbers (thinking of mainly corsi and such compared to his teammates)) look very promising so it should turn eventually if he keeps it up. But what bothers me about that is that from the few games i caught this season none of the shots were taken from the damger zones. This goes for every jet aswell. Their offense just seems toothless compared to last season. What is your opinion on this? Is the corsi saying he will have more succes or is it neccesary to get into better areas of the ice on those shots?

Also i want to bring up something that is killing me a bit lately. Why is laine looking so damn slow? Not just skating but movement overall. Especially noticable in his own zone (an area that makes me mad from what i saw in those few games).

Carson22

Oct 9, 2017
It wasn't a large vocal group as claimed. But the 70-80 goals and 160 points was indeed stated several times.
I suggest you go back to this gem of a thread from last year. Claims of Matthews being better than Gretzky, and McDavid ainec. Will easily get 60+. Not to mention the comments thrown to the Sens fans. Karmas a bitch, when they spanked the leafs this year.

Neutral Hockey Fan

Sep 24, 2010
I suggest you go back to this gem of a thread from last year. Claims of Matthews being better than Gretzky, and McDavid ainec. Will easily get 60+. Not to mention the comments thrown to the Sens fans. Karmas a *****, when they spanked the leafs this year.
I want a link to the multiple posts about Matthews being better than Gretzky, made by true leaf fans. And the 60+ posts as well. Links to my claims were provided. Your turn

I'll bet any one on here I'm left hanging...

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
I suggest you go back to this gem of a thread from last year. Claims of Matthews being better than Gretzky, and McDavid ainec. Will easily get 60+. Not to mention the comments thrown to the Sens fans. Karmas a *****, when they spanked the leafs this year.

Link to posters claiming Matthews to be better than Gretzky and McDavid, followed by AINEC. Thanks.

Nobody cares about the Sens or Sens fans so a link to the 2nd claim is not needed.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
I think Matthews's a very interesting scorer. He's really opportunistic. In that, he might get a chance out of the blue that no one's expecting him to get and he immediately knows how to take advantage of that. At least that's the feeling I get - He's really good in scrappy situations, broken plays and other things where others might take a while to regain their train of thought he's already scored the goal as the puck just happened to hop to him.

Anyone else note this tendency?

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
I think Matthews's a very interesting scorer. He's really opportunistic. In that, he might get a chance out of the blue that no one's expecting him to get and he immediately knows how to take advantage of that. At least that's the feeling I get - He's really good in scrappy situations, broken plays and other things where others might take a while to regain their train of thought he's already scored the goal as the puck just happened to hop to him.

Anyone else note this tendency?
Absolutely. He tricks goalies in close by getting shots off in situations they normally aren't expecting a shot to come or a weird angle most players don't or can't get it off from. He also has that unique ability to snap it off mid stride as well. It's why you see a lot of his goals go through the goalie.

Reactions: Plural and TDK88

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I think folks are getting to be a bit tough of Laine in here, he's a fantastic talent.

I think Matthews is the better player and even potentially better goal scorer, but that doesn't stop Laine from likely becoming one of the top players in the league.

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth
As a Jet fan I voted for Mathews. I made it a point to watch a lot of the Leafs games and Mathews is just a incredible all around player and maybe a better scorer. Laine is not a complete hockey player yet. While his natural talent to score is undeniable he still has so much to learn about being a complete NHL player. Now if he ever puts it all together I believe that he can score more then Mathews sometime in the future but right now I would bet on Mathews to score 50 before Laine.

Reactions: Kelly and TDK88

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
We have the answer: Matthews now has 50 goals to Laines' 42.

Both excellent young players.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
Mark my words, Matthews will sign for 11 million, play 2 mediocre seasons and will then mysteriously be placed on LTIR

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Mark my words, Matthews will sign for 11 million, play 2 mediocre seasons and will then mysteriously be placed on LTIR
Matthews did have reported back injuries. I sure hope it doesn't cause him to retire prematurely as bad backs are tricky things. Matthews is too good to watch play as a neutral fan to have something unforeseen happen to him.

Willy Styles

Nov 5, 2014
York Region
Matthews did have reported back injuries. I sure hope it doesn't cause him to retire prematurely as bad backs are tricky things. Matthews is too good to watch play as a neutral fan to have something unforeseen happen to him.

Oh look who quietly made their way back into Laine vs Matthews threads with his passive aggressive insufferable bull crap. Quite convenient when Matthews is injured.

“Neutral fan” LMAOOOOOOO

Reactions: Garthinater

lawrence

May 19, 2012
went with Laine.

If Matthews get converted to wing I think he can beat him to it, but he's a centre and I think Laine overall has a deadlier shot.

Reactions: The Winter Soldier

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton
Last year Laine injured - that's not an excuse!

This year Matthews injured - thats my excuse!

Lol no kidding... Do you guys remember everyone screaming that he is injury prone, it’s his fault he got injured, he won’t last in the NHL and etc.... Funny looking back at it now.

Literally no Leafs fans are using Matthews' injuries as an 'excuse'... not really sure where you're getting that from..

CujosMask

Nov 24, 2017

Interactif being coy in a Matthews/Laine thread, go figure.

Still going with this neutral fan shtick too? [mod]

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Garthinater

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Laine needs 33 in 47 games to hit 50 this year. A bit of a tall order, however I would never discount Laine when it comes to goal scoring. He has been a lot more consistent this season with less goal less games, but he still hasn't had a hattrick this season to the 3 he had last year. One against Toronto in dramatic fashion, and 2 against Dallas. I would have to think he has one or 2 of these games in him this season. Still to score 53 goals as a teenager is quite the accomplishment thus far in his young career. Best pure young goal scorer in the game.

Reactions: HailMcJesus

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad