Speculation: Who gets traded?

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
No thanks. I'd do Cehlarik or a prospect at that level plus a second rounder for Bennett. I think Heinen is already the better player.

Just not understanding it. How can you overpay so much? I get it...Sam Bennet comes with the 4th overall pick tag. He's picked in any round besides the first, and no one is trading for him. This is why you need to look at the player and not the draft position, once a player is taken.

Reactions: Glove Malfunction

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
I think they are both righties though. I know that shouldn't really matter but I think CMac and Carlo are penciled in the top 4, rightside for a decade plus.

I don't think either one would slot into the top six next year. But guys much smarter than I would be a better judge of that. But in this scenario if the day comes that one of Bouchard/Dobson are forcing themselves into the lineup, I'm sure more than a few teams would be interested in Brandon Carlo. A team heavy on young forward talent and light on Dmen.

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
If we are looking for someone to be groomed as that, we probably have the potential in our own org- Zboril, UV are at least two guys who have been talked about that way. Or are you looking at an established player who has yet to hit their prime? Hanifin or someone like that? Then I think we have to include a roster player along with a pick and prospect.
Don’t they have to be thinking of an established guy? Looking at player windows here you have Bergeron, Krejci, Backes, Chara and Marchand north of 30. Aside from Backes, that’s the core the Bruins have built around for a decade.

Their time to win is now. Or you’re looking at slowly being phased out like San Jose has done.

Not saying they can’t win doing that. But I would think established NHLers would be more beneficial at this time. Especially with how many 1st and 2nd year players have already been added/will be added this year

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Just not understanding it. How can you overpay so much? I get it...Sam Bennet comes with the 4th overall pick tag. He's picked in any round besides the first, and no one is trading for him. This is why you need to look at the player and not the draft position, once a player is taken.

I think Bennett is a decent player who still has a lot of potential to be good, and has NHL experience. I wouldn't mind having him on our team to see what he could do as a 3C aiming at 2C, but no way do I trade Heinen AND a pick for the guy. I wouldn't even trade Heinen straight up for him. Admittedly I haven't seen nearly as much of Bennett as I have Heinen, but what I have seen, Danton has the better all around game already. I am willing to be wrong about the comparison, though. Still not keen on trading Heinen for Bennett.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be

Those guys always get more though. Not saying we should do it, but someone probably might. he is only 21, so it's early to call him a complete bust, there is still a lot of upside. I would however let some other team take a chance. While I'm no Bennett expert he looks a lot like Ryan Spooner from what I have seen, but he is a lot more aggressive. Change of scenery could be the magic ticket.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
I don't think either one would slot into the top six next year. But guys much smarter than I would be a better judge of that. But in this scenario if the day comes that one of Bouchard/Dobson are forcing themselves into the lineup, I'm sure more than a few teams would be interested in Brandon Carlo. A team heavy on young forward talent and light on Dmen.

Plus I wouldn't be opposed to Carlo as 3rd pair and top PK.... I mean that would be a huge strength. I love the two defensemen you mentioned.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Don’t they have to be thinking of an established guy? Looking at player windows here you have Bergeron, Krejci, Backes, Chara and Marchand north of 30. Aside from Backes, that’s the core the Bruins have built around for a decade.

Their time to win is now. Or you’re looking at slowly being phased out like San Jose has done.

Not saying they can’t win doing that. But I would think established NHLers would be more beneficial at this time. Especially with how many 1st and 2nd year players have already been added/will be added this year

I'm actually happy with d-corps we have at the moment with the prospects included, unless we could bring in someone young with experience and good upside like Hanifin. Outside of a player like that, I don't think we really gain much. I guess if we could somehow land Erik Karlsson that would be nice, but it isn't happening.

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
Yeah this is the the only guy I see moving via trade on the current roster.

And even then I don’t think he does. While he makes too much for a #7... he’s probably the best #7 out there and they don’t really NEED to make salary space this year. Unless they make a splash
Yes, he's a #7...for us. But that doesn't mean he's not an upgrade for half the leagues bottom pairing. Though he does make a lot for a bottom pairing guy.

TeachMeHowtoDougie

Jul 24, 2011
Arlington, MA
Guy I would love to see them go after is OEL. Trade Krug and one or two of the wing prospects for him maybe? A defense like this would look really nice:

OEL-McAvoy
Chara-Carlo
Grizz-Miller

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
Very much doubt any one of those center the third line, simply not ready, not good enough at this time. Both Heinen and Donato are viewed as wingers by the Bruins IMO. Kuraly will likely get the job unless he proves he can’t handle it.
I'm. Not so sure that Bruce is committed to Donato exclusively as a winger. He played him at center late in the season with ok results.

Sweeney mentioned at the start of the season that he views Ryan as a winger.
But he also expressed his approval when Teddy told him at the start of the season that he was going to play him at center.

I hope they have open minds because we have a glaring vacancy at 3rd line C.

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
Plus I wouldn't be opposed to Carlo as 3rd pair and top PK.... I mean that would be a huge strength. I love the two defensemen you mentioned.

So do I. And probably quite a few GM's drafting in the top 10 too. And Carlo would be insane depth to have on the 3rd pair. Would make our defense a pain to play against in the playoffs.

Nashville has done quite well just churning out stud dmen, then moving them for improvements or areas of need. Jones for RyJo (Don't like the contract though). Weber for Subban. Probably could've got something nice for Suter if they knew he was leaving. I feel like defense is like pitching in baseball, you can never have enough.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
The entire league is literally moving away from what you're suggesting. Grit and size only matter to old school Bruins fans who still think this is the Big Bad Boston Bruins of days gone by. It's not. It's speed and skill that gets you where you need to go. They've got enough grit with whatever pluggers they want to throw in on the 4th line, and Chara/McQuaid/Miller.

It's time to evolve instead of standing still.

Lets be clear, though. A team like the Jets still has a lot of nasty to go along with their skill. Heck, Tampa and Washington are probably more physical up and down the lineup than Boston, too. But its nasty that can play.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Guy I would love to see them go after is OEL. Trade Krug and one or two of the wing prospects for him maybe? A defense like this would look really nice:

OEL-McAvoy
Chara-Carlo
Grizz-Miller

I'd be all over it if OEL decided to leave. But, I feel like there are other teams out there that could offer a more compelling primary piece than Boston.

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
No thanks. I'd do Cehlarik or a prospect at that level plus a second rounder for Bennett. I think Heinen is already the better player.

If he's going to steal my idea, at least give me credit, and at least not turn it into an abortion.

To Boston
Sam Bennett

To Calgary
2019 2nd
Anders bjork/Danton heinen (plays either wing)

It looks like Calgary needs help on the right wing, I think Sam Bennett is a center? He’d be a fit as Boston’s 3c if so. Boston traded 2 2nds for a similar type in Brett Connolly. I think bjork or heinen might possess the value necessary to land Bennett. Heinen might be more valuable based on his season, but i think assuming Bennett plays with some physicality he’d be a better fit for Boston then either bjork or heinen

His post @ 4:40 on Tuesday.

Mine @ 4:06 same day

I'd kick the tires on Sam Bennett in Calgary. Former #4 overall pick. Not exactly lighting it up in terms of points. From my limited viewing, seems to play a decent 2 way game. Takes some bad penalties though. 6'1 200lbs. And he's only 21 years old. Plenty of time still to mold him.

Strong candidate for someone who we might be able to buy low on, and with the mentoring of Bergeron, turn into a solid contributor.

Obviously all comes down to cost.

Reactions: Dr Hook

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Lets be clear, though. A team like the Jets still has a lot of nasty to go along with their skill. Heck, Tampa and Washington are probably more physical up and down the lineup than Boston, too. But its nasty that can play.

Sure, but again, the reason the players are good is because of the skill, not the mean streak in their game. Yes it helps, but the skill has to be there to start with. I mean, look at the Bruins. Who are the most physical players? McQuaid, Chara, Miller, Backes? Does anyone on that list really scare any other team right now/change the game in any way? You know why Ove's hits are good? Because he also scores 50 goals a year. You know what he'd be if he was physical but didn't score like he does? A complete nobody.

So getting more of that would be literally useless without the skill. It has to be both, not just physicality.

Tmac37

Apr 1, 2018
Formerly Tmac21

Great point and something I hope Sweeney saw against Tampa and plans to improve on.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
If he's going to steal my idea, at least give me credit, and at least not turn it into an abortion.

His post @ 4:40 on Tuesday.

Mine @ 4:06 same day

Yeah, that was what started the whole Bennett conversation- I think maybe a Bjork for Bennett would be okay one for one, or maybe if we did Bjork + a low round pick, but good lord, Heinen and 2nd rounder??

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Those guys always get more though. Not saying we should do it, but someone probably might. he is only 21, so it's early to call him a complete bust, there is still a lot of upside. I would however let some other team take a chance. While I'm no Bennett expert he looks a lot like Ryan Spooner from what I have seen, but he is a lot more aggressive. Change of scenery could be the magic ticket.

Definitely could be but I'm going with a lower end prospect + 2nd over Heinen.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

He's also a lot like Spooner in the sense that he was drafted as a Center, but at the NHL level, he's primarily been used as a winger. Took just 200 face-offs last year in Calgary, 5th on the team (I didn't include Nick Shore as he was acquired at the deadline), and the 4th most, Stajan, took over double the amount of face-offs Bennett did, indicating he's most played wing.

One thing the Bruins don't really need is another left shot winger. You could almost say they have too many now signed for next year (Marchand, Debrusk, Heinen, Donato, Bjork, Cehlarik) with still a full off-season to play out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad