Speculation: Who gets more money on the open market Marchand or Hoffman?

Smokey Thompson

May 8, 2013
Marchand is significantly better at every aspect of the game than Hoffman is. He's also much more of a proven player with a ton of playoff experience, including a Cup. In theory, he'd get more on the open market.

Cynick

Know-Nothing
Dec 24, 2008
Toronto
Listen, Hoffman is a fine player, and I think the Senators organization has undervalued him hugely. But Marchand scores, hits, drives possession. He's an elite player. There's no way the answer isn't Marchand here.

Pretty much this. There are more Hoffmans than Marchands in the league and that's by no means a knock on Hoffman or the other snipers of a similar skill set.

FROMSHORETOCHARA

Jul 2, 2009
This is assuming both hit the open market next year who signs the bigger deal Marchand or Hoffman?

Hoffman has the advantage of being younger but Marchand has a longer track record

I suspect Marchand gets the most money

Marchand because he is a much better player. Maybe something changes this year but today Marchand >> Hoffman

garyturner3

Jun 16, 2015
Marchand by a mile. For obvious reasons to anyone that has ever watched them both play.

BrockBoeser6

Dec 28, 2013
Vancouver
It seems you are in desperate need of reminders, though. So here are some more... Total goals: 23-8. The 4 Bruins victories: 8-1 (2nd most lopsided victory in a Stanley Cup finals ever), 5-2, 4-0, 4-0.
You should be ecstatic that you hung on for dear life all the way to 7 games: it really should have been a sweep. Are you saying that in those 4 losses, the games were so close they could have gone either way? Tell me more...

Thomas had a dominating performance (and the rest of the Bruins followed along those lines. They all went above and beyond their duty), but I don't remember him scoring any of our 23 (TWENTY-THREE) goals. Do you? :)

All your numbers do is prove my point even more. The Canucks had more shots against than you guys throughout the series. Only allowing 8 goals in 7 games while being outshot in a cup final is carrying your team to victory. Whether you guys scored 3 goals or 8 goals in your victories does not change the fact that Thomas was controlling each game by keeping the puck out of the net. There's a reason he was awarded the Conn Smythe.... He was your MVP.

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact: finally here!!!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
All your numbers do is prove my point even more. The Canucks had more shots against than you guys throughout the series. Only allowing 8 goals in 7 games while being outshot in a cup final is carrying your team to victory. Whether you guys scored 3 goals or 8 goals in your victories does not change the fact that Thomas was controlling each game by keeping the puck out of the net. There's a reason he was awarded the Conn Smythe.... He was your MVP.

Yeah, no. It is no secret to a knowledgeable hockey fan that the system employed so successfully by Julien for 8 years (1 Cup, another final, a President's Trophy, 8 straight years of playoffs) was designed to allow perimeter shots but eliminate second & third chances. He stated this many, many times in pretty much all interviews during games for YEARS.

The fact that you use number of shots as the sole indicator of how that series went, shows that you need a bit more general hockey knowledge than you currently have.
Bottom line, the Canucks had no business winning that series and it is a great achievement that they dragged it to 7 games. Won all very tight games (an achievement in of itself), got brutally outclassed in all others.

Thomas was MVP, right. Had a commanding performance. So had many others. The Conn Smythe could have gone to others like Chara, Bergeron, Horton, Seidenberg, etc etc and it wouldn't have been an outrage. But if a "oh it's only Thomas, otherwise we would have won" makes you sleep better at night, hey sure, whatever.

It's been over 5 years now. The better team (as in the one that played better over the course of the series) won. End of story, the world already moved on. So should you. I am done with you about this, I am going to go watch the dvd of the finals. :)

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
Marchand hands down will get more, that I don't think is even a question.

I'd say it was a really dumb question, but OP already said he knew the answer before he asked the question, so you have to wonder about the intentions...

StuckOutHere

Feb 10, 2010
I'd say it was a really dumb question, but OP already said he knew the answer before he asked the question, so you have to wonder about the intentions...

My gut says it was to engage in a discussion on a website dedicated to the discussion of hockey and hockey related matters.

Just a guess though.

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
I would take Marchand over Hoffman, don't get me wrong, but this year is going to be an interesting one for sure.

Marchand rose his game in a contract year which is pretty usual for players in that situation. I dont think 35+ goals is something he's going to do consistently from now on.

Hoffman will do really well under Boucher. I could see a 37 goal season and possibly even a 70 point season.

Would I take Marchand's intangibles with a 60 point season over Hoffman's hypothetical 70 point season? Probably...but I think Brad falls more back to his usual ~55 point 25 goal self.

Hoffman isnt one as one dimensional as people seem to think. Hes not a plus defensive player, but he's not a liability, especially with Stone and Turris who are great defensive players.

He, like Karlsson (in a very minor equivalent) can skate the puck out of the zone and enter the attacking zone at ease. That is very important, especially in the puck possession system Boucher is going to employ.

josra33

Aug 11, 2008
I would take Marchand over Hoffman, don't get me wrong, but this year is going to be an interesting one for sure.

Marchand rose his game in a contract year which is pretty usual for players in that situation. I dont think 35+ goals is something he's going to do consistently from now on.

Hoffman will do really well under Boucher. I could see a 37 goal season and possibly even a 70 point season.

Would I take Marchand's intangibles with a 60 point season over Hoffman's hypothetical 70 point season? Probably...but I think Brad falls more back to his usual ~55 point 25 goal self.

Hoffman isnt one as one dimensional as people seem to think. Hes not a plus defensive player, but he's not a liability, especially with Stone and Turris who are great defensive players.

He, like Karlsson (in a very minor equivalent) can skate the puck out of the zone and enter the attacking zone at ease. That is very important, especially in the puck possession system Boucher is going to employ.

Surprised no one has said Marchand yet!!!

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact: finally here!!!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland

Guy is in his absolute prime now, gets no PP, goes from averaging mid 20s goals to almost 40 when the coach changes to a more offensive system. Think of all this still being in place + maybe him even getting a taste of PP (after all, the best goal scorer of the team should see some PP time, logically speaking). What of this says to you that Marchand should be going from 37 goals to 25?

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Another leaf fan that is announcing that the sens wont sign Hoffman. :handclap: Is this the rederict you are getting in Toronto? Why are there so many Toronto Maple leaf fans that are experts on the sens?

This is easily Marchand btw. Plenty of great explanations outlined in this thread.

I expected Marchand to win but not for it to be unanimous come on sens fans support your boy here

I think thats the leaf fan way. Look no further than the centerman vs proven winger double standard when comparing Laine to Matthews and Strome to Marner. We arent dilusional about our players in Ottawa, Marchand is clearly better.

Burt Reynolds

Feb 21, 2010
Mansfield, MA

Just for the record, Marchands contract year is this upcoming season, not last year.

If you take out the lockout shortened season, his average is 27 goals a year. Keep in mind, that's with little to no PP time. Give him around 2 minutes a game on the PP and he's easily up at 35 every year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad