Speculation: Who gets more money on the open market Marchand or Hoffman?

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
This is assuming both hit the open market next year who signs the bigger deal Marchand or Hoffman?

Hoffman has the advantage of being younger but Marchand has a longer track record

I suspect Marchand gets the most money

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
Marchand is a better player than Hoffman. However Hoffman will be testing the market next year after the Sens nickel him into another one year deal.

Rebuilt

Jun 8, 2014
Tampa
This is assuming both hit the open market next year who signs the bigger deal Marchand or Hoffman?

Hoffman has the advantage of being younger but Marchand has a longer track record

I suspect Marchand gets the most money

Canucks will offer Marchand $8 mil :nod:

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Marchand is a better player than Hoffman. However Hoffman will be testing the market next year after the Sens nickel him into another one year deal.

Is he? Marchand is a more complete player than Hoffman, no doubt, but I think Hoffman is smarter in terms of the long game. Marchand has that elite motor that I think obscures things but also muffles things long-term.

I think their value is comparable next year, but I think Hoff's deal pays huge dividends next year and beyond vis-a-vis Marchand's.

The problem with Marchand is that he now has a reputation for being a goal scorer as well as being a little ****. I think the net result will be that the opposition will be more than happy to give Marchy some extra attention. And I think that ultimately means less effectiveness and more injuries for the little man. I might be aging myself, but I'm thinking Steve Sullivan here.

RyderRocks73

Jul 1, 2015
Moncton, NB
Marchand. He's just a lot more proven at this point. Not saying players like Hoffman can't ever continue to show that they're capable, but you know what you're getting with Marchand.

caymanmew

May 18, 2014
Ottawa
Who ever has a better year would get more. If their years are close then Marchand would get more because he is more proven.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
Hoffman is younger so he should get more but Marchand most likely because of the unique game he plays, some GM would get a stiffy for him and make it rain

heaslipg

Oct 17, 2006
Is he? Marchand is a more complete player than Hoffman, no doubt, but I think Hoffman is smarter in terms of the long game. Marchand has that elite motor that I think obscures things but also muffles things long-term.

Hoffmann's skills with woods and long irons shouldn't impact salary negotiations much.

Last edited:

Brewins

Apr 23, 2015
People see him as a goal scorer and pest first and a decent two way guy second. Reality is he is great at all three and after his suspension last yr he came back with an uncommonly cool head. He has seemed to mature and while still a **** wants to win and lead more than cost his team with dumb antics. Whether this continues or not is something else entirely but his two way game and goal scoring ability without much pp time is amazing and the under the skin factor is a great bonus. I hope he keeps playing on the cleaner side of the line. I think Marchand easily gets more.

webersshot

Jul 6, 2016
Nova Scotia
This is a really dumb thread. Brad Marchand AINEC. And I'm a habs fan saying that. I would take Marchand on my team any day of the week. Could you imagine Brendan Gallagher, Andrew shaw and Brad Marchand on the same team? Same one? My ****. It would be anarchy and so fun to watch. Love to steal him from Boston but it'll never happen. Oh well. Just as fun to hate him too. :laugh:

BreakingGood

Jun 29, 2014
Listen, Hoffman is a fine player, and I think the Senators organization has undervalued him hugely. But Marchand scores, hits, drives possession. He's an elite player. There's no way the answer isn't Marchand here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad