Who gets 3rd in the Atlantic?

3rd Atlantic spot

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Sounds like homerism to me, lose 5 or 6 in a row drops you outside of top 3 and playoffs easily.
Win 5 or 6 in a row your back in, look at Montreal or Boston.

Thing is you have to lose 5 or 6 in a row Toronto's longest losing streak so far is 3 and they have only done that once while they have had 3 3+ game win streaks.

in Tampa's case I am not sure they have lost 3 straight yet

It's going to be hard for anybody behind Tampa and Toronto to over take them.

Montreal has a slight chance to pass Toronto but even they only have a game in hand and that actually switches to Toronto having the game in hand shortly, If Montreal doesn't beat St Louis tomorrow the gap could open right back up

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Thing is you have to lose 5 or 6 in a row Toronto's longest losing streak so far is 3 and they have only done that once while they have had 3 3+ game win streaks.

Montreal has a slight chance to pass Toronto but even they only have a game in hand and that actually switches to Toronto having the game in hand shortly, If Montreal doesn't beat St Louis tomorrow the gap could open right back up
The point is Montreal is 6 points back with approx 60 games to go.

If Montreal wins the next 2 games and Toronto loses the next two - that's a 2 point difference in 55+ games.

You have every right to argue Toronto will beat Montreal. It's very plausible and even likely. But it's by no means a certainty - not even close.

There' also Boston.

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017
I'd say Boston. They hung in there with a few key injuries and are now getting healthy and playing solid hockey.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
I find some Leaf fans funny. You'd think after a lifetime of this - that they'd be humble. They're holding onto 2nd place not even a third of the way through the season, especially considering the injuries the Bruins have had so far.

For reference:
Since expansion Toronto has posted more than 100 points once and made the Conference Final five times.
Since expansion Boston has posted more than 100 points 18 times and made the Conference Finals 12 times.

I'll be highly surprised if Toronto finishes second in the division.

Last edited:

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
I find some Leaf fans funny. You'd think after a lifetime of this - that they'd be humble. They're holding onto 2nd place not even a third of the way through the season, especially considering the injuries the Bruins have had so far.

For reference:
Since expansion Toronto has posted more than 100 points once and made the Conference Final once.
Since expansion Boston has posted more than 100 points 18 times and made the Conference Finals 12 times.

I'm actually willing to label Toronto as the heavy favorite + front runner to finish 2nd. So i won't even be surprised if they do.
The problem is - it still doesn't make them a shoe-in, which is why this thread sucks.

Leaf fans don't know how to make polls lol.

For the record - I still say it's too soon to award Tampa the division too.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA

For reference:
Since expansion Toronto has posted more than 100 points once and made the Conference Final once.

The Leafs have been to 5 CFs since expansion. I can list them if you want?
They've also had 100 points or more 3x
Why concentrate on the past? What either has done (since expansion) means very little.
If you like the past so much, in the past 3 seasons, their margin of making or missing the
playoffs has been 1,0,1 pts. They're on a razors edge.

About being humble: Where's yours now? You haven't won anything EVER.
Where is your humility? I don't why the Leafs fans have to show something that NO fan base has ever done!

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015

For reference:

a lifetime of what? you know every season is different right? A Leafs team led by Matthews, Nylander, Marner, and Kadri is pretty different from teams that had unsuccessful seasons. It shouldn't need to be explained to you that the actual roster matters and not the logo when determining on ice success

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
The Leafs have been to 5 CFs since expansion. I can list them if you want?
They've also had 100 points or more 3x
Why concentrate on the past? What either has done (since expansion) means very little.
If you like the past so much, in the past 3 seasons, their margin of making or missing the
playoffs has been 1,0,1 pts. They're on a razors edge.

About being humble: Where's yours now? You haven't won anything EVER.
Where is your humility? I don't why the Leafs fans have to show something that NO fan base has ever done!

If you could - that'd be helpful.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
a lifetime of what? you know every season is different right? A Leafs team led by Matthews, Nylander, Marner, and Kadri is pretty different from teams that had unsuccessful seasons. It shouldn't need to be explained to you that the actual roster matters and not the logo when determining on ice success

You guys should be excited -
But - Between the O.P. assuming Toronto gets 1st or 2nd - and you referring to the other teams as 'straight up garbage' - I'd think a lifetime of watching your team be bad should give you guys some pause and perspective

Boston's getting healthy after missing 4-6 regulars all season (and I think their line-up top to bottom is better than The Leafs). Price seems to have found his game. Way too early for any of these teams to be pencilling themselves into the playoffs never mind top 2 in the division.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
My mistake. - I was actually an honest mistake. Not sure what I was thinking with that. Edited my post.
- also Toronto has hit exactly 100 points twice. I would've thought they got over that more times

Ya the Leaf teams of the 90s and early 2000s were actually very good. It was the Leafs best opportunity to win a cup after 67. The biggest reason for our gloom history was Ballard in the 70s and 80s that completely dismantled a championship team and was too cheap and held too many personal grudges to actually ice anything competitive.

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact coming my way!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland

"Current longest streak" =/= impossibile for a longer streak to happen, in any case. Ask Philadelphia: they didn't have a 10 game losing streak before (they had a 10 game WINNING streak though...), then they did.

However, that statement is not true, the Leafs do have a 6 games losing streak: 10/26 CAR 6 TOR 3, 10/28 PHI 4 TOR 2, 10/30 SJS 3 TOR 2, 11/1 ANA 3 TOR 1, 11/2 LAK 5 TOR 3, 11/4 STL 6 TOR 4.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
"Current longest streak" =/= impossibile for a longer streak to happen, in any case. Ask Philadelphia: they didn't have a 10 game losing streak before (they had a 10 game WINNING streak though...), then they did.

However, that statement is not true, the Leafs do have a 6 games losing streak: 10/26 CAR 6 TOR 3, 10/28 PHI 4 TOR 2, 10/30 SJS 3 TOR 2, 11/1 ANA 3 TOR 1, 11/2 LAK 5 TOR 3, 11/4 STL 6 TOR 4.
Toronto beat Anaheim 3-1, you have your score mixed up.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

nope I went back and looked they beat the ducks, which means you are making things up

why do you need to lie?

Reactions: Nizdizzle

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com

For reference:
Since expansion Toronto has posted more than 100 points once and made the Conference Final five times.

I find some Bruins fans funny. What relevance do things that happened years and years ago have on what happens now and going forward? The Leafs finished the season with the same amount of points as the Bruins last year, and have currently been more successful this year.

I find it truly odd that no fan base is expected to be humble, besides the Leafs. What an odd double standard some folks take while riding their very high horse.

Reactions: 1specter

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact coming my way!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
nope I went back and looked they beat the ducks, which means you are making things up

why do you need to lie?

If I wanted to lie - which is not my style -, do you think that I would choose such an easily verifiable thing as a game score? Don't say stupid things, think first. It's a simple mistake.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad