Speculation: Who do YOU want with our 1st round picks!

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON
Don't you think Gaucher is a bit slow, with a low ceiling and poor puck handling abilities? ( kind of like MCCARON?
So long as Habs STOP drafting sub 6'0" players.

My 2 Rule Criteria:
- Must be above 6'0"
- Must be Fast (above NHL average)

If we are next on the clock and there are two prospects to choose from, follow the two basic rules. Doesn't matter if player is W, C, or D

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
I'm genuinely not exactly sure what the point you're making is. Yes, remove a team's elite players and they don't win the cup. ...And? That doesn't mean they didn't have star goaltenders backstopping them (Quick's is pretty much the greatest playoff run by a goalie along with Thomas) as you seemed to suggest. Quick, Holtby, Khabibulin were elite goaltenders in their prime. That doesn't mean they win without other good players. Who suggested that?
What I suggest is if you have to choose to built a SC winning team, you start with what?
In Detroit you build around Yserman or Osgood?
In Washington you build around Ovechkin or Holtby?
In Pittsburg you build around Crosby of Fleury?
In Tampa Bay you build around Lecavalier or Khabibulin?
In Chicago you build around Toews or Niemi?
In Boston you build around Bergeron or Thomas?

Another point : the goalie is a player in his bulb, he is part of the team and in some way he's apart. The center is all about chemistry and 200 feet game. The center include his two wingers in the system and it's something that need to be built in several years. So for a team who wants a clear shot at the SC run, it's easyer to fill in a goalie than a center. And about the goalie and the leadership in the locker room, I beleive more in the the impact of the leadership the center could have, or the winger if we talk of Ovechkin, the winger who is the exception, the generational talent. Leadership impact of a goalie in the lockeroom, not so sure. A good goalie secure players once they are on the ice I would say for sure. The only exception I could say about a goalies with strong leadership are Roy, Brodeur, Dryden and Billy Smith.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
I want Emil's teammate. Lian Bichsel. Huge, good skating defenseman.

Although I would rather spend a lower 1st or early 2nd for him, so hopefully we can acquire extra picks.

It's rare you find a player that large with good skating.

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
I think we have a legit chance at Bedard next year. As much as any other bottom team - fun to think we could actually "win" a franchise player. First one since Guy Lafleur (not incl G)

But you won't take Bedard because of your hard and fast rule. Bedard is 5'9, completely undraftable. Done.

I'd stay away from rules. The habs have failed drafting small guys but they've failed on a whole bunch of big defensemen, too. The team has too many small players who need other people to open space for them. Bedard may or may not have such limitations. Either way the habs have to have a better balance of people who can get, carry, and receive the puck. They absolutely need a few big guys who can occupy and intimidate opposing D, as Anderson can't do it alone and doesn't really use his teammates well. KK had his flaws but he did a pretty good job of making space for his teammates.

You take the best player who can help the team. If you have redundancies, as the habs do, you consider it because while you can trade you are trading from a position of weakness, especially if you are trying to trade someone with less valued attributes. Bedard is good enough you take him regardless of how he fits with the team. You get players who work with him or you trade him if you can get a crazy enough package.

Reactions: themilosh

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON
Incidentally, for all those knocking Shane Wright - keep in mind he is the ONLY rookie in the top 100 scorers this season. This also includes a lost year of development - it's entirely possible his stats would be through the roof if there was a season last year and he'd be considered a generational player.

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON
But you won't take Bedard because of your hard and fast rule. Bedard is 5'9, completely undraftable. Done.

I'd stay away from rules. The habs have failed drafting small guys but they've failed on a whole bunch of big defensemen, too. The team has too many small players who need other people to open space for them. Bedard may or may not have such limitations. Either way the habs have to have a better balance of people who can get, carry, and receive the puck. They absolutely need a few big guys who can occupy and intimidate opposing D, as Anderson can't do it alone and doesn't really use his teammates well. KK had his flaws but he did a pretty good job of making space for his teammates.

You take the best player who can help the team. If you have redundancies, as the habs do, you consider it because while you can trade you are trading from a position of weakness, especially if you are trying to trade someone with less valued attributes. Bedard is good enough you take him regardless of how he fits with the team. You get players who work with him or you trade him if you can get a crazy enough package.
wow, didn't realize he was so small. Well, you draft him anyways, but that could be an excellent trade chip as Habs can't build around a 5'9" C.

My rules should be after the top 15 tbf

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
No and no. If Kopitar was with the Habs, Gainey wouldn't trade McDonagh to get Gomez because Kopitar was already an excellent center at the time. So when Habs had that PO run with Halak, Habs would have Kopitar instead of Gomez and also McDonagh, who was listed as one of the best nhl D many years. LA King won two Stanley Cups and Habs none. Kopitar was a key player in those SC and today he is still a dominant C.

But being that said, Price was a good goalie over the years I agree. Habs were bad or not serious at the job of getting or draft a good center. They missed so many chances. I don't beleive and I don't buy the concept of a team winning a Stanley Cup mostly because they have a superstar goalie. It did worked in the years of Roy, Brodeur and Hasek but since the last 15 years, it's obsolete because the centers and the wingers are snypers, we have monsters offensive forwards now and any goalie will get scored. If you want to avoid your goalie to get busted, build a solid offensive and defensive system of play and make sure all the players buy the system. Having a good goalie is important but don't put all your eggs in that basket. Stanley Cups are won with two solid centers and the rest follows.
That's your 2 cents............definitely not mine.
Pretending to know what would have happened IF we had drafted Kopitar, makes for an interesting take....

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
If you ask me, I would say Carter, Kopitar and Doughty were the reason why LA Kings won their cups.
Sometimes the goalie is very hot at THAT moment and so and so after. Halak was hot in the 2010 run. Habs would have Kopitar, McDonagh and Koivu instead of Gomez and two other dudes I think they would have a serious chance of winning the Cup.
Khabibulin was hot in that 2004 Cupo but I remember Lecavalier and Brad Richards the reason they won the Cup.
Holtby, seriously? What about Ovechkin, Kuznetsov, Backstrom and Oshie ?
But okay, say it's was all about Holtby if you want ... ;)
You have made a great point here............those GM's supported their goalies with a good team out in front of him.....Bergevin did NOT.
That's not on anyone, but Bergevin, and certainly not the star goalie.

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
wow, didn't realize he was so small. Well, you draft him anyways, but that could be an excellent trade chip as Habs can't build around a 5'9" C.

My rules should be after the top 15 tbf

I'd just avoid hard and fast rules. Take Point in the 3rd round. If you can't balance the team trade guys even if you lose value. You are better off drafting an NHL player that you trade for a less effective player who fits better than drafting someone who would fit but doesn't make it.

Bergevin didn't plan and didn't consider how players would work together. It's not that the habs players are all too small, though they somewhat are, it's that too many want to receive the puck rather than retrieve or carry it.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
You have made a great point here............those GM's supported their goalies with a good team out in front of him.....Bergevin did NOT.
That's not on anyone, but Bergevin, and certainly not the star goalie.
In the Gainy years, he missed Getzlaf or Carter one year. That's two very good centers. He missed Bergeron also. He missed Zajac, ok, not a superstar center but he would have been an okay second center. He missed Giroux, a very good center and he missed Henrique, not a superstar but he's okay, better anyday than Dvorak.
In the Bergevin years he missed Point, Aho, Kreider and Tkachuk. Gainey and Bergevin share their part of missing good centers or good wingers. One actor is common with the two gms : Timmins. Born to miss good centers. And even if we say Timmins was good at drafting defensemen, he missed in that department too. McDonagh, Subban, Sergachev and Romanov are a thin result in 18 years of work.

JustAHabFan

Apr 8, 2008
How about this:

to ANA :

- jeff petry

to Mtl:

Maxime comtois
2022 1st round pick
Want nothing to do with Maxime Comtois. I saw a few ANA games and I was not impressed with Maxime Comtois at all. Zegras on the other hand.:thumbu:

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
That's your 2 cents............definitely not mine.
Pretending to know what would have happened IF we had drafted Kopitar, makes for an interesting take....
You don't like Kopitar? His kind of play is boring to watch and not that efficient?
Only Sydney Crosby is a good center and if it's not Crosby, you'd rather not have Kopitar and you end up having your #1 C between Galchenyuk, Eller and Desharnais.

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
Shane Wright or Simon Nemec or Logan Cooley with our top 3 pick.

Mintyukov, Mateychuk, i would like to advance and maybe grab one of Lambert, Miroshnichenko, Jiricek, Lekkerimaki if one of these was falling on draft day

AlexGretzchenvid

Jan 19, 2013
Shane Wright or Simon Nemec or Logan Cooley with our top 3 pick.

Mintyukov, Mateychuk, i would like to advance and maybe grab one of Lambert, Miroshnichenko, Jiricek, Lekkerimaki if one of these was falling on draft day
Which one of these players plays similar to Boldy/Sieder?

Habricot

Oct 22, 2017
For me its one of Wrigth, Cooley or Nemec for the 1st pick and for the second its hard to predict I say if you draft a forward with the 1st then go for a RD with the other pick (e.g Wrigth and Luneau) or perhapts depending on picks move up to draft Jiricek at arround 10.

Reactions: Marc BergeFan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad