Speculation: Who do you want in Round 1?

Who do you want in Round 1?

• Islanders

Votes: 13 18.8%
  • Florida

Votes: 3 4.3%
  • Pittsburgh

Votes: 21 30.4%
  • Washington

Votes: 6 8.7%
  • Buffalo

Votes: 7 10.1%
  • Detroit

Votes: 19 27.5%

• Total voters

SPLBRUIN

Mar 21, 2010
Out of the realistic teams that we could face I would favor Pittsburgh, they are an older beaten up team that is not overly responsible defensively, furthermore they are not a physical team. They have been 1st round fodder the last 5 years, they scare no one.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
First Caveat: I just want a cup and don't care who we go through to get it

That said, the playoff runs are a little more magical when you go through rivals or other powerful teams. Like 2011 would've been fun regardless of the path but that we knocked out the Habs, Flyers, and Canucks on the way made it a true legendary event. So it just came to me what the ultimate path for the best storyline this year would be:

Round 1 - NYI - Revenge for 2021
Round 2 - Tampa - Revenge for 2020, 2018
ECF - Carolina - Revenge for last year

For the SCF I could go three ways, ranked by my preference

1. Vegas - Beating Bruce would be the ultimate end to a hell of a year
2. Colorado - Knocking off the defending champs is always nice
3. Edmonton - Best team beating the best individual player in the game, also could be revenge for 1988 and 1990
REVENGE being the operative word. Works for me!

Reactions: ShiftyNifty16

GabeTravels

ME > MN > GA
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2011
Marietta, GA
Selfishly with who's realistic at this point?

Islanders or Pittsburgh. I'm going to a road game in Round 1 and I've already been to Florida. Need to cross one of the other two off my list.

bruinsfan1968

May 6, 2019
I just want Boston, to play each and every playoff game, like they want it more than any team they face!
It's a lot of games, but play with a purpose and leave it all on the ice!
And yes, more hugs please! 😀

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: ShiftyNifty16

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

Whenever someone asks me which team will give the Bruins the greatest difficulty in the postseason, I say Carolina by default.

How could it not be the Hurricanes? Sure, they wouldn’t have home-ice advantage in a playoff meeting, but the Hurricanes can puff their chests more than any other opponent when the Bruins hit town.

When the Bruins lost, 4-1, at PNC Arena on Jan. 29, they were playing their fourth road game in six nights. They were on a 1-3-1 skid, the only time this season they have lost four of five. But the score just added to the lopsidedness of the recent series.

The Hurricanes, who host the Maple Leafs Saturday night, are 46-16-8 and the second team to 100 points this year. They are 3-4-0 in their last seven, with losses to Toronto and New Jersey and a split with the Rangers.

Given how smoothly the Bruins break out when they’re on, they should be able to handle Rod Brind’Amour’s NASCAR-pace forecheck, which is highly successful in limiting chances. Carolina is No. 1 by a wide margin in shot attempts against (24.4 per 60 minutes) and scoring chances against (21.7) at five on five. Only the Bruins (96) have allowed fewer five-on-five goals than the Hurricanes (117).

I still get a few emails per week worrying about the Bruins’ potential weaknesses. If they grab a win in Raleigh, it would check one of the few remaining boxes.

▪ That said, Sunday’s game at PNC Arena (5 p.m.) could be a chance for Jim Montgomery to rest a few veterans.

If they play Saturday against the Lightning, Patrice Bergeron, David Pastrnak, Charlie Coyle, and Pavel Zacha will have played in every game this season. Hampus Lindholm has missed one.

Since returning from offseason shoulder surgery Nov. 10, Charlie McAvoy has played in every game. Brad Marchand, who missed seven of the first eight games after double hip surgery, has suited up every night since. And David Krejci, whom Montgomery described as “banged up” last week, has played in all but five games this year.

▪ Now is the time when traveling hockey writers ruminate on which playoff cities they might visit. The Bruins’ path through the East looks nearly set: a first-round matchup against the Islanders, Penguins, or Panthers; a potential second-round date with the Maple Leafs or Lightning; and a would-be conference final against the Rangers, Devils, or Hurricanes.

It sure does look like Buffalo, Ottawa, and Washington are out of the wild-card race. Am I canceling my hotel reservations in those cities? Oh no, friend. Doing that would be akin to putting away the shovel and breaking out the air conditioning units.

ShiftyNifty16

Blow it up, burn it down, hit reset and start over
Apr 11, 2014
Earth
I just want Boston, to play each and every playoff game, like they want it more than any team they face!
It's a lot of games, but play with a purpose and leave it all on the ice!
And yes, more hugs please! 😀
Yes, and play every series like it's imperative to end them as quick as possible. Playing extra games will have a price if they go deep.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad