Who do you think Seattle will take from the Flames on July 21? (POLL ADDED)

Who will the Flames lose in the expansion draft?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
I wouldn’t be upset if Seattle takes Lucic

At the end of the day, he is a liability. How many times did his giveaways screwed us up at important moment?

I don’t mind him on a team but don’t make him into some hero that he is not

Reactions: RasmusAndersson

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I look at this team without Looch, and minus Bennett obviously. It is ugly.. Who is going to have Tkachuk's back with the way he plays?

Reactions: Nanuuk

RasmusAndersson

Oct 19, 2013
Bottom sixers who put up points, especially in the playoffs, play with grit, have leadership skills, past cup experience, and play well defensively are valuable.

Nick Foligno just got a 1st. Lucic retained until like 3-3.5 million is not that far behind Foligno. If at all.

Brutal comparison. Foligno>>>Lucic and I even like Lucic on the 4th. Lucic at 3 mil for 2 years is getting maaaaaybe a 3rd. imagine if we traded a 2nd even for a 3 mil bottom-6 aging W with very very little foot speed

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Brutal comparison. Foligno>>>Lucic and I even like Lucic on the 4th. Lucic at 3 mil for 2 years is getting maaaaaybe a 3rd. imagine if we traded a 2nd even for a 3 mil bottom-6 aging W with very very little foot speed

Foligno of past years sure. Foligno of this year when he got the 1st? No.

I give a slight edge to Foligno based off this year. Previous years it's not close I'd agree.

RasmusAndersson

Oct 19, 2013
Foligno of past years sure. Foligno of this year when he got the 1st? No.

I give a slight edge to Foligno based off this year. Previous years it's not close I'd agree.

Oh I totally agree a 1st for Foligno was a big overpayment, especially with how he seems to have regressed. But Lucic at 3 mil is still not getting Seattle or us very much, maybe a mid-pick, whereas Gio at 50% for one year could easily get us a 2nd at the deadline imo.

Even though I'd have to be happy if Seattle took Lucic for cap reasons I would also definitely be sad to see him go and miss his presence. Quality person and seems like the exact type of teammate/player you want on your team. Such a class act. His physical presence would definitely need to be replaced too, but it could be replaced at probably 1/3 of the cost. But I bet they take Gio

Reactions: Flames Fanatic

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Oh I totally agree a 1st for Foligno was a big overpayment, especially with how he seems to have regressed. But Lucic at 3 mil is still not getting Seattle or us very much, maybe a mid-pick, whereas Gio at 50% for one year could easily get us a 2nd at the deadline imo.

Even though I'd have to be happy if Seattle took Lucic for cap reasons I would also definitely be sad to see him go and miss his presence. Quality person and seems like the exact type of teammate/player you want on your team. Such a class act. His physical presence would definitely need to be replaced too, but it could be replaced at probably 1/3 of the cost. But I bet they take Gio

I dunno. I just think we'd be surprised, especially at the deadline, what a team pays for a Lucic type player. But who knows.

If I were them I'd still take Gio.

RasmusAndersson

Oct 19, 2013
The more I think about it the more I am interested in the idea of trading for Vince Dunn prior to the expansion draft. FLA 2022 2nd for Dunn, and Dunn all of a sudden becomes Seattle's most likely target. Assuming Seattle does take Dunn we are left with 1 year of Gio, and even though he regressed this past year he only has 1 year left and our depth without him is abysmal.

This way we get to keep our top-4 intact, get an extra year of Gio and can almost certainly recoup the value (2022 2nd, if not 1st) at next years deadline with some retention by flipping him. This will help insulate Valimaki, and this way we won't have to overpay a meh 3/4 LD with a longer term in FA while Valimaki and some of our other LD prospects (hopefully) develop. Plus if Gio bounces back a bit and with a more sheltered role he could easily net a 1st, in which case we upgrade from a 2nd to a 1st and get one extra year of Gio in the process. It's definitely a risk, because what if Gio falls off a cliff or gets hurt, but imo he could easily net a 1st with some retention and I still think 1 year of Gio is better than spending a lot on a Ryan Murray or Mike Reilly type with lots of term. What do people think?

Or, on the off-chance they take Gio, we have our #3/4 LD replacement in Dunn who is young and has tons of room for growth, and provides the offence we desperately need from the back end at a reasonable price.

Last edited:
Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
The more I think about it the more I am interested in the idea of trading for Vince Dunn prior to the expansion draft. FLA 2022 2nd for Dunn, and Dunn all of a sudden becomes Seattle's most likely target. Assuming Seattle does take Dunn we are left with 1 year of Gio, and even though he regressed this past year he only has 1 year left and our depth without him is abysmal.

This way we get to keep our top-4 intact, get an extra year of Gio and can almost certainly recoup the value (2022 2nd, if not 1st) at next years deadline with some retention by flipping him. This will help insulate Valimaki, and this way we won't have to overpay a meh 3/4 LD with a longer term in FA while Valimaki and some of our other LD prospects (hopefully) develop. Plus if Gio bounces back a bit and with a more sheltered role he could easily net a 1st, in which case we upgrade from a 2nd to a 1st and get one extra year of Gio in the process. It's definitely a risk, because what if Gio falls off a cliff or gets hurt, but imo he could easily net a 1st with some retention and I still think 1 year of Gio is better than spending a lot on a Ryan Murray or Mike Reilly type with lots of term. What do people think?

Or, on the off-chance they take Gio, we have our #3/4 LD replacement in Dunn who is young and has tons of room for growth, and provides the offence we desperately need from the back end at a reasonable price.

I legit thought Dunn was going to turn into a 2/3 D man, and he's just never taken that step. It's not a bad plan to be honest.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I would like to just add Dunn period. He isn’t that great defensively, but he can move the puck and QB the backend, which are both needs.

I always think he's a bigger dude than he is :laugh:
I think he'd be a great option if Gio is gone. We need a Dman who can produce a bit from the backend more regularly. We simply don't have that without Gio.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
Losing Gio sucks for obvious reasons, especially if we suck again and could flip him at 50% retained at the deadline to someone.

Losing Tanev, and then if Gio goes cup chasing next off season, our defense is a mess.

It's a no win scenario.
Expansion draft or not, Flames future D is quetionable anyways. Losing Gio would force-feed some new blood and upgrades. Why wait for the inevitable and be behind more then? Give Valimaki, Andersson, "green" Mackey the minutes with Hanifin ,hopefully back & ready, & Tanev. Then, peruse the FA for help solidifying.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
I keep asking myself though, are better off losing Dube and keeping Gio, knowing we have Pelletier? I think Gio is poised to have a good season under Sutter next year.
If Dube was 32, not 22 I'd be more inclined to agree. I'd rather give up a 1st and a 3rd before Dube - especially in this draft where a 3rd round pick might have the same value as a 6th.

You need a good core group of youth coming up if you want to afford the guys earning the big money.

slappipappi

Jul 22, 2010
I wouldn’t be upset if Seattle takes Lucic

At the end of the day, he is a liability. How many times did his giveaways screwed us up at important moment?

I don’t mind him on a team but don’t make him into some hero that he is not

I wouldn’t be upset if I had a 3-some with Halle Berry and Jennifer Aniston.

And mine is more likely to occur.

it would likely take a few first round picks to make Seattle go down that road.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $1,214.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Sweden vs Germany
    Sweden vs Germany