Who do you think Seattle will take from the Flames on July 21? (POLL ADDED)

Who will the Flames lose in the expansion draft?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Well my thinking is you trade Dube for assets and get them to take Kylington. Depends on how management views Dube.
The Flames are high on Dube, I think you are reading far too much into Sutter's comments on Dube, when he calls guys out, it's not because he isn't high on them, it's because he's trying to get more out of them. Sutter used to call out Iggy too

Reactions: TheHudlinator

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
I think we will trade this year's first round pick to protect Giordano, we are due for something stupid like this.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
I think we will trade this year's first round pick to protect Giordano, we are due for something stupid like this.
As long as Lucic's contract goes with the pick, I have no problem with it. We'll probably get a similar caliber player with the return for Gio, retained, at the deadline.

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
NHL releases the protected list. No real surprises for the Flames, although I sort of expected Backlund would have been exposed.

Available
Byron Froese (F)
Glenn Gawdin (F)
Justin Kirkland (F)
Josh Leivo (F)
Milan Lucic (F)
Joakim Nordstrom (F)
Matthew Phillips (F)
Zac Rinaldo (F)
Brett Ritchie (F)
Buddy Robinson (F)
Derek Ryan (F)
Dominik Simon (F)
Mark Giordano (D)
Oliver Kylington (D)
Nikita Nesterov (D)
Alexander Petrovic (D)
Michael Stone (D)
Louis Domingue (G)
Tyler Parsons (G)

Protected
Mikael Backlund (F)
Dillon Dube (F)
Johnny Gaudreau (F)
Elias Lindholm (F)
Andrew Mangiapane (F)
Sean Monahan (F)
Matthew Tkachuk (F)
Rasmus Andersson (D)
Noah Hanifin (D)
Christopher Tanev (D)
Jacob Markstrom (G)

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
I think the logic is exposing Backlund could make them not take Giordano, while still saving us considerable cap. It's not about protecting another forward over Backlund

To be honest that doesn't make the team better. Gio is closing in on 40 and has 1 year as far as team building this was the way.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Honestly, I don't know who **I'd** protect over Backlund, I'm just saying I figured the organization would have left him exposed maybe in favour of Gio or Kylington. I preferred they went with Backlund anyways.
You have to protect 7-3-1 or 4-4-1 so if you want protect gio you need to expose 3 forwards or another defenseman. It sucks we have to much depth but Giordano was the "easiest" to lose.

Reactions: InfinityIggy

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
To be honest that doesn't make the team better. Gio is closing in on 40 and has 1 year as far as team building this was the way.
I disagree, you're too focused on age. Backlund is our 3C, Gio is our 1D. Losing Giordano hurts this team significantly more than Backlund. We have literally no one ready to take over for Gio, but one of Dube or Zary might be ready to be a 3C and adding a 3C via trade is significantly easier than adding a 1D

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
I disagree, you're too focused on age. Backlund is our 3C, Gio is our 1D. Losing Giordano hurts this team significantly more than Backlund. We have literally no one ready to take over for Gio, but one of Dube or Zary might be ready to be a 3C and adding a 3C via trade is significantly easier than adding a 1D

Gio might have been our best defenseman but he already showing signs of age catching up, he shouldn't be our #1 D going forward. If the coaching staff wasn't so daft they would have actually tried to use Hanifin on the pk but now we don't know what he can do. Without knowing how Monahan will heal and how well he will play we can't afford to lose Backlund as the security blanket. If we didn't want to lose Gio for nothing we should have moved him or another D at the deadline when we weren't in a playoff spot and had a severely limited Monahan.

We aren't currently a cup contender age matters a ton.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
We don’t have anyone on the team ready to take over Backlund’s role. Signing a replacement in Free Agency would cost as much if not more, likely with more term.

Not sure why anyone would expect us to expose Backlund. Especially given the 7-3-1 format.

Reactions: BobColesNasalCavity

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Francis would be a fool not taking Gio unless he manages to get the other fool to pay a big ransom.

let’s see who is the bigger fool

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary

You are correct for next season, but it’s not black and white. There are times that Backlund faces our opponents best players, he’s also younger than Gio so he holds more value to the franchise. But as you said, next season Gio is the bigger loss and we don’t have a replacement. It’s a massive blow.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
You are correct for next season, but it’s not black and white. There are times that Backlund faces our opponents best players, he’s also younger than Gio so he holds more value to the franchise. But as you said, next season Gio is the bigger loss and we don’t have a replacement. It’s a massive blow.
I think saving 3 years at 5m+ would be a huge benefit. a Lindholm/Tkachuk line could face top lines pretty easily.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I think saving 3 years at 5m+ would be a huge benefit. a Lindholm/Tkachuk line could face top lines pretty easily.

I think your point is valid for sure. The Flames did protect Backlund though, we also don’t know what they have planned to do with our roster. In your scenario we likely we keep Monahan and add someone like a Lebanc on his wing.

Because Backs is being kept, I don’t think that at all means Monahan is gone, but there has been many rumours of it. If that were the case, keeping Backlund would be important.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I think your point is valid for sure. The Flames did protect Backlund though, we also don’t know what they have planned to do with our roster. In your scenario we likely we keep Monahan and add someone like a Lebanc on his wing.

Because Backs is being kept, I don’t think that at all means Monahan is gone, but there has been many rumours of it. If that were the case, keeping Backlund would be important.
There haven't been many rumors, there have been two and then blogs piggybacking off those. There was 1 saying we were listening on Monahan, which is not saying anything since we listen on everyone always and another from Dreger who said he "thinks" Monahan could be available but at the same time he pointed out the Flames wouldn't entertain Monahan for PLD last off-season.

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
When did Dreger say the Flames wouldn't move Monahan for PLD? Friedman said it was Tkachuk they wouldn't move for PLD. Dreger said it was Monahan they wouldn't move for Anderson.

You'd have to be on something to think they wouldn't have jumped at the chance to move Monahan for PLD.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
I still think it’s gonna be Kylington.

It’s worth keeping in mind, Seattle has 30 picks but only 23 roster spots. They can’t take the ‘best’ high-salary player from each club. About 10 of their picks are going to need to be pieces that aren’t on the roster full time this coming season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $1,214.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Sweden vs Germany
    Sweden vs Germany