Who do you think Seattle will take from the Flames on July 21? (POLL ADDED)

Who will the Flames lose in the expansion draft?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
I see us giving up two draft picks including a 2nd rounder to keep Gio. I don't agree with that if that happens but is what I'm expecting.
The cap is tight. Save the pick, gain 6.5M to obtain guy like Avirdsson to help the offense. Win win.

Gio is a depth dman soon not worth the money and it’s proven his leadership sucks

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Gio, if he isn’t traded. He still holds lots of value after the way he played under Sutter.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Personally, I think Gio plays out his contract. Its just bad PR to shuffle off a career long Flame and captain like that, in the last year of his deal. It could literally be anything. We have 4 NHL ready LD this year. Would 12th OA for 2nd OA, in exchange for leaving Hanifin/Monahan exposed be out of the question? I don't think its to far off, but extremely risky for the Flames. That might even be too much from the Flames. This is not a star studded draft. Outside of Powers its unlikely any of these guys jump directly to the NHL and even his numbers are only comparable to Hanifin's at the same age. I think a lot of lessons were learned in the last expansion and its unlikely Seattle enjoys the same success as Vegas. There's also marketing to be considered. Its hard to pump a guy thats a couple years away. Maybe Hanifin/Monahan + 12th OA for 2nd OA and the agreement to select Lucic.

Last edited:

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Personally, I think Gio plays out his contract. Its just bad PR to shuffle off a career long Flame and captain like that, in the last year of his deal. It could literally be anything. We have 4 NHL ready LD this year. Would 12th OA for 2nd OA, in exchange for leaving Hanifin/Monahan exposed be out of the question? I don't think its to far off, but extremely risky for the Flames. That might even be too much from the Flames. This is not a star studded draft. Outside of Powers its unlikely any of these guys jump directly to the NHL and even his numbers are only comparable to Hanifin's at the same age. I think a lot of lessons were learned in the last expansion and its unlikely Seattle enjoys the same success as Vegas. There's also marketing to be considered. Its hard to pump a guy thats a couple years away. Maybe Hanifin/Monahan + 12th OA for 2nd OA and the agreement to select Lucic.
Sorry. I seem to have missed the part where you say who Seattle will take from the Flames.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Convince me why the Flames would protect Gio over Tanev.

Because he’s still our best overall dman who played on the top pp and pk unit and produced the most offence on a backend that struggled with that on a consistent basis (3rd last in the nhl). That and if the flames want to free up cap for next season’s offseason hell they might wanna start with a guy who’s in his early 30s and is of a pretty decent risk at declining at some point (which he had shown signs of until his resurgence this year). Also giordano is the captain.

I don’t think this is as clear cut as people make it out to be. Despite having a great year, Tanev doesn’t fix the issue of our total lack of play driving from the back end. Tre himself has said we need more offence from the backend too. I just hope we don’t spend assets to protect both.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Because he’s still our best overall dman who played on the top pp and pk unit and produced the most offence on a backend that struggled with that on a consistent basis (3rd last in the nhl). That and if the flames want to free up cap for next season’s offseason hell they might wanna start with a guy who’s in his early 30s and is of a pretty decent risk at declining at some point (which he had shown signs of until his resurgence this year). Also giordano is the captain.

I don’t think this is as clear cut as people make it out to be. Despite having a great year, Tanev doesn’t fix the issue of our total lack of play driving from the back end. Tre himself has said we need more offence from the backend too. I just hope we don’t spend assets to protect both.
So do you think the Flames will more likely protect Gio instead of Tanev or i s that what what you hope will happen?

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
So do you think the Flames will more likely protect Gio instead of Tanev or i s that what what you hope will happen?

If a gun to my head was placed today I’d say Tanev gets protected over giordano, but again I don’t think it’s super clear cut.

If you ask me you what I’d do? I would expose Tanev and take the cap savings from him off the books and giordano’s 6.75 million off the books next offseason.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
If Gio was 33, I could see the argument for protecting him but he's going to be 38 this October.

Seattle won't select him because he doesn't fit with their timeline for what they may plan to do.

Option A: Be a salary floor team and squeeze teams for picks.
- Well Gio's contract expires in a year so will they go out and sign a guy to an albatross contract to make up for his nearly 7 million dollar caphit coming off the books in summer 2022?
- Say they use him as trade bait - are contenders going to want to spend a 1st for a 38 year old rental, even if he's retained at 50%? What if his play precipitously declines next year? Is it worth to take him if all they get is a 2nd?

Option B: Push the chips in and be Vegas
- They have him for a single year and then they have to spend assets or negotiate with UFAs to fill his spot. Why do that when they find a more long-term solution right now?

Ryan, Lucic, and Kylington are all vast upgrades for either option Vegas elects to do

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
If Gio was 33, I could see the argument for protecting him but he's going to be 38 this October.

Seattle won't select him because he doesn't fit with their timeline for what they may plan to do.

Option A: Be a salary floor team and squeeze teams for picks.
- Well Gio's contract expires in a year so will they go out and sign a guy to an albatross contract to make up for his nearly 7 million dollar caphit coming off the books in summer 2022?
- Say they use him as trade bait - are contenders going to want to spend a 1st for a 38 year old rental, even if he's retained at 50%? What if his play precipitously declines next year? Is it worth to take him if all they get is a 2nd?

Option B: Push the chips in and be Vegas
- They have him for a single year and then they have to spend assets or negotiate with UFAs to fill his spot. Why do that when they find a more long-term solution right now?

Ryan, Lucic, and Kylington are all vast upgrades for either option Vegas elects to do

I don’t really agree tbh. Lucic has an anchor through and through even if he’s an okay bottom 6 option. Derek Ryan can be signed in free agency if need be, and kylington is a fringe asset even if we all agree he should be played (likely won’t even be qualified).

Gio is the best all around dman for the flames. If nick foligno could fetch a first, I’m sure Gio at the deadline could very much do the same (especially if it’s a 3 team trade). And he’s quite easily the best player on that list still.

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
no protection trade its Gio without a doubt. If they give up an asset to dictate who they take it will be Kylington.
Everyone wants it to be Lucic but Sutter will put his bitter beer face on and Treliving will relent.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Sorry. I seem to have missed the part where you say who Seattle will take from the Flames.
I don't think it'll be Gio, for reasons above. If I had to guess, I'd say Lucic. Gio is still far more useful and only has a year remaining. On top of that the contracts are lined up so that the space he creates is used for Gaudreau/Tkachuk. Dropping Gio's cap doesn't actually free up space for the long-term. I don't think anyone, including Seattle, is blown away by this draft, so there are a couple possible scenarios where we actually move up in the draft, while dumping Lucic. Monahan and Hanifin have been rumored to be available, off and on for a couple years, for the right price of course. I could see a possibility where either could be more appealing, as well as marketable than waiting 2-3 years for Beniers. When you're a new franchise and you're waiting that sort of time for a kid that many question whether or not will even be a 1C, it might not be the best way to spend that pick.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Would you give up Calgary's 2021 first round draft pick to Seattle to entice them into taking Lucic? Too much?

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Would you give up Calgary's 2021 first round draft pick to Seattle to entice them into taking Lucic? Too much?
Its tough but I probably would, unless we rebuild. Thats a bonified top 6 player +, between Lucic and Ryan. $8.3 million could go a long ways. Just to put it into perspective, last offseason thats the equivalent of adding Toffoli and Hoffman without losing anything significant

Last edited:

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
I don't think there's any player here who we could trade a 1st + Lucic for that would significantly change our outlook.

2021 NHL Free Agents Tracker

I think Hall will re-sign in Boston and Colorado will re-sign Landeskog. Paying a first to lose Lucic to turn around and give his money to a late 20s 2nd liner would be a huge loss IMO. It makes us slightly better now and much worse tomorrow.

Reactions: RasmusAndersson

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
I think they'd take him then flip him at the deadline for picks/prospects - or retain salary and trade him sooner.

Possibly one of the reasons the Flames should protect him. Could pay Seattle to take someone else for less than Gio may be worth?

I would try to make a deal that has Seattle take Lucic, only to trade him back to the Flames with salary retention. Not with a 1st round pick though.

Last edited:
Reactions: RasmusAndersson

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
I don't think there's any player here who we could trade a 1st + Lucic for that would significantly change our outlook.

2021 NHL Free Agents Tracker

I think Hall will re-sign in Boston and Colorado will re-sign Landeskog. Paying a first to lose Lucic to turn around and give his money to a late 20s 2nd liner would be a huge loss IMO. It makes us slightly better now and much worse tomorrow.
Whoever we pick this year is 3-4 years away from making any sort of impact. That would make Johnny 31-32 years old, if we resign him. Sutter would be 93. Also, none of those players are getting 8 million. More likely than not, we'll be able to afford 2 of them and thats a huge difference.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
I think they'd take him then flip him at the deadline for picks/prospects - or retain salary and trade him sooner.

Possibly one of the reasons the Flames should protect him. Could pay Seattle to take someone else for less than Gio may be worth?
I would rather have the capspace over the futures if we want to push our chips in with Sutter

Last edited:

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
Whoever we pick this year is 3-4 years away from making any sort of impact. That would make Johnny 31-32 years old, if we resign him. Sutter would be 93. Also, none of those players are getting 8 million. More likely than not, we'll be able to afford 2 of them and thats a huge difference.

Which two players there are moving us from a bubble team to a contender? Adding 2 second liners doesn't change us lacking an elite top end. I don't think we have a window currently so I don't see much of a point in adding to it. Additionally we already have the 3.25 million from Ryan's contract expiring; the 1st would be solely to rid us of the 5.25 million that Lucic takes up so if we really want to add this free agency we already have some money to work with.

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
If I'm Francis I'm asking for a 1st round pick to not take Giordano. Because that's what he'd likely fetch at the trade deadline.

Paying that would be folly. But losing Giordano would decimate the left side in the short term with nothing in free agency that could potentially fill the gap. Based on last season, no way they trust Valimaki in a top four role. And since the Flames are all about the short term, guessing Treliving ends up paying the price in some fashion.

E.g.
To Seattle:
12th OV

To Calgary:
34th OV

With the Krakens taking Kylington

or maybe

To Seattle:
12th OV

To Calgary:
Future Considerations aka nothing

With the Krakens taking Lucic

Janks

Pope Janks
Jan 7, 2010
Calgary
If I'm Francis I'm asking for a 1st round pick to not take Giordano. Because that's what he'd likely fetch at the trade deadline.

Paying that would be folly. But losing Giordano would decimate the left side in the short term with nothing in free agency that could potentially fill the gap. Based on last season, no way they trust Valimaki in a top four role. And since the Flames are all about the short term, guessing Treliving ends up paying the price in some fashion.

E.g.
To Seattle:
12th OV

To Calgary:
34th OV

or maybe

To Seattle:
12th OV

To Calgary:

If BT makes either of those trades he should be fired on the spot. That would be horrendous asset management

crazyfisherman

Sharangovich fanboy
Sep 22, 2012
when has flames ever made short sighted trades??? and dont say hamonic because he had yrs left and the team was clearing an up and comer at the time.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002

E.g.
To Seattle:
12th OV

To Calgary:
34th OV

or maybe

To Seattle:
12th OV

To Calgary: