Who do you think Seattle will take from the Flames on July 21? (POLL ADDED)

Who will the Flames lose in the expansion draft?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
The vast majority believe that Lucic, Giordano, and Kylington will be the most attractive players exposed by the Flames in the upcoming expansion draft. Do you think it will be one of those and who? Or someone else?
I think its a toss-up between Giordano and Lucic. Gio is a better player but he's also older at 37 (38 in October) and he only has 1 year left on his contract. Lucic is younger (just turned 33) and he has 2 years left on his contract. I don't see Seattle taking a young, still yet to prove himself, defenseman, especially when they have 30 other teams to draft d-men from.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I think they will sign Derick Ryan. They should take Gio and trade him for assets. Looch makes to much money and nobody wants Kylington, which is a reflection of the Flames but that’s another story.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Kylington, Ryan or Lucic. Seattle will have zero interest in Giordano

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I think they will sign Derick Ryan. They should take Gio and trade him for assets. Looch makes to much money and nobody wants Kylington, which is a reflection of the Flames but that’s another story.
I don't think the Flames will re-sign 34 year old Ryan. He'll cost too much just to have another exposed player for the draft plus his play really dropped off last season (2 goals in 43 games). Derek Ryan is no longer the player he was. Father time is catching up to him.
Also the Flames only have $14.5M in cap space with only 13 players under contract for 2021-2022. I think its more likely they re-sign 28 yo Brett Ritchie for close to the league minimum... like last season.

Last edited:

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
He is.

use this resource to see anyone that is eligible or not. Exempt players are listed under "exempt"
Seattle Expansion Draft Simulator - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps
Says he has 26 games remaining to meet eligibility requirement. So he can't be protected but still claimed? Or just doesn't meet the eligibility requirement, but can be claimed regardless if not protected.

Gio, possibly followed by a trade.
This is my suspicion. Even for futures at the deadline has more value than anyone else exposed by the Flames.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
They can wait a few weeks and get Phillips off waiver for free. Every team has a few guys like him.

If Gio is available, that’s who they are taking and it’s not even close unless the Flames exposed Backlund also

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Says he has 26 games remaining to meet eligibility requirement. So he can't be protected but still claimed? Or just doesn't meet the eligibility requirement, but can be claimed regardless if not protected.
Ya thats my question. Or maybe I just don't understand the draft rules. I thought he couldn't be taken because he was 26 games short of NHL experience.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Ya thats my question. Or maybe I just don't understand the draft rules. I thought he couldn't be taken because he was 26 games short of NHL experience.
I think it's because he has the requisite # of pro experience (AHL is included) to be selected but doesn't have enough experience to meet exposure requirements.

I've also been drinking, so I could be wrong. That phrase could be my signature BTW.

Reactions: RasmusAndersson

Corpus X

Wearing Stanley's cup.
May 24, 2014
Calgary
Gio will be the one to go.

How it will go down.
Gio will expose himself and get arrested to avoid getting selected in the expansion draft but it won't work because it's Seattle and they're into that junk.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012

This is my suspicion. Even for futures at the deadline has more value than anyone else exposed by the Flames.
The term eligibility requirement is poor, he is 26 games short of being eligible for counting towards the team minimum expansion requirements, so even if we sign him before the expansion draft he doesn't count towards the 3 forwards that meet requirements. He is eligible to be both selected and protected.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
The term eligibility requirement is poor, he is 26 games short of being eligible for counting towards the team minimum expansion requirements, so even if we sign him before the expansion draft he doesn't count towards the 3 forwards that meet requirements. He is eligible to be both selected and protected.
Clear as mud.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Phillips can be taken. Anyone in that cap friendly link not list as exempt, is eligible. How is that for clear?
So what does the 26 GR mean? Thats what I find confusing. I mean so what if he's 26 games short of the expsnsion requirements? What difference does it make if Seattle can still take him?

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
So what does the 26 GR mean? Thats what I find confusing. I mean so what if he's 26 games short of the expsnsion requirements? What difference does it make if Seattle can still take him?

I'm confused like you. I figured all the check marks ✔ mean eligible and players with games remaining aren't. Need to make room if that's not the case, we can't lose Phillips. Probably end up paying for them to take Kylington.

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
It really isn't that complicated.

Anyone who has at least 3 years of professional experience, doesn't have a NMC and doesn't meet the injury exemptions are automatically eligible to be selected by Seattle.

BUT

The league wants to ensure that their expansions teams, the ones that just paid half a billion dollars and more, have actual NHL calibre talent to select from. Hence, the minimum games requirements:

* One defenseman who is a) under contract in 2021-22 and b) played in at least 40 NHL games the prior season or played in at least 70 NHL games in the prior two seasons.
* Two forwards who are a) under contract in 2021-22 and b) played at least 40 NHL games the prior season or played in at least 70 NHL games in the prior two seasons.
* One goalie who is under contract in 2021-22 or will be a restricted free agent at the end of his current contract immediately prior to 2021-22. If a team elects to make a restricted free agent goalie available to meet this requirement, that goalie must have received his qualifying offer prior to the submission of the team's protected list.

The whole idea is that teams are forced to expose players under contract that were actually a part of their regular roster instead of simply having a bunch of dregs for the Kraken to draw from. Basically, if a defensemen or forward played roughly half of the possible games for you over the last season or two, then they must be, generally speaking, NHL calibre.

So regarding Phillips, he's eligible but because the Flames are scaredy cats afraid of giving their prospects a chance, he doesn't meet the minimum games requirements. In fact, they only have one forward that meets the requirements in Lucic (exposing Giordano satisfies the defense part). If Treliving doesn't do his job soon and get another forward that at minimum played 40 games last season or 70 games over the last two years under contract, then one of the protected seven will have to be exposed.

I'm assuming the reason why Ritchie or Ryan haven't been re-signed yet is because they're trying to leverage the situation into better deals for themselves or Treliving has some trades lined up.

Reactions: Deen and Rubi

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
It really isn't that complicated.

Anyone who has at least 3 years of professional experience, doesn't have a NMC and doesn't meet the injury exemptions are automatically eligible to be selected by Seattle.

BUT

The league wants to ensure that their expansions teams, the ones that just paid half a billion dollars and more, have actual NHL calibre talent to select from. Hence, the minimum games requirements:

The whole idea is that teams are forced to expose players under contract that were actually a part of their regular roster instead of simply having a bunch of dregs for the Kraken to draw from. Basically, if a defensemen or forward played roughly half of the possible games for you over the last season or two, then they must be, generally speaking, NHL calibre.

So regarding Phillips, he's eligible but because the Flames are scaredy cats afraid of giving their prospects a chance, he doesn't meet the minimum games requirements. In fact, they only have one forward that meets the requirements in Lucic (exposing Giordano satisfies the defense part). If Treliving doesn't do his job soon and get another forward that at minimum played 40 games last season or 70 games over the last two years under contract, then one of the protected seven will have to be exposed.

I'm assuming the reason why Ritchie or Ryan haven't been re-signed yet is because they're trying to leverage the situation into better deals for themselves or Treliving has some trades lined up.
Thanks. That makes sense.

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
I see us giving up two draft picks including a 2nd rounder to keep Gio. I don't agree with that if that happens but is what I'm expecting.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I see us giving up two draft picks including a 2nd rounder to keep Gio. I don't agree with that if that happens but is what I'm expecting.
I hope not. I'd rather see Hanifin, Valimaki, and Mackey on LD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 1