Speculation: Who do you think is traded during the off-season?

Ledge And Dairy

I doubt it... that contract has a lot of real dollars still attached to it, and Montreal doesn't need cap room that badly, and has no contracts to renegotiate, either, so no foreseeable reason to pay assets to get rid of Price (and I doubt SJ or Chicago takes on such a contract for free just to make the cap floor)
Exactly. I believe insurance only pays out 55% of the contract after age 35. Price is still owed 15 million after this season, so I highly doubt any team wants to eat those uninsured dollars just to reach the cap floor.
Good to know, I figured the insurance was a higher percentage. My POV was Montreal probably wants to start being cap compliant but I guess they probably still aren't going to be legitimate buyers for a few more years.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Detroit probably tries to dump cap somewhere or sell Veleno.
Detroit has no cap issue (unless you're expecting Seider, Raymond, and Kane to extend for $9-10M each), however it would make a lot of sense to try to move out some contracts to open up roster spots. Guys like Holl, Husso, Fabbri, etc. could stand to be shipped out due to their contract vs role being undesirable for sure, it would help our cap situation I am not arguing that. But the reality is it's more because we could replace them with players from Grand Rapids or free agency who should make a fraction of the cost while improving the team. There are some quality young players who will be exposed to waivers if they don't make the team in the fall so those roster spots are becoming more important.

Beauterham

Aug 19, 2018
Based on rumours this season, as well as some cap dumps and scenarios where the #1 goalie has potentially lost their spot to the backup, here are some names:

Binnington

Just wondering why Binnington is in this list.

As far as I know there aren't any rumors concerning him, he's definitely not a capdump and he also hasn't lost his spot to Hofer (eventhough the latter is a really good and potentially could challenge him in the future).

Bijelo

Oct 23, 2022
First Flat
Laine

Kakko

These two Finn traded.

Then Husso and Ristolainen won't go to new teams.

Last edited:

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Habs are likely looking to move some younger d.

It was hypothesized that Barron was called up over Reinbacher and Mailloux because the loss of Barron to Laval would sting less than the other 2.

Jordan Harris is ok-good at everything pretty much, but not great at anything.

Kovacevic is a big, rhd who costs a little less than league minimum next season, so as a number 7 a team might be interested if the Habs don't want to keep him in that spot, or he wants a chance to play somewhere else.

Up front it's all crap, or worth like a 6th.

Gallagher, Anderson, Dvorak, Ylonen.

Armia might have a bit more value given his play after being waived, but he's still at a 3.4 cap hit.

Lesser extend Jake Evans. I imagine the Habs want to keep him, but he's got 1 year left,.cheap and he does well as a 4th line centre.

Pezzetta. If the Habs land another physical, tough forward, or two he could be on the move for a late round pick, or maybe it's him and a pick for an upgrade on him.

After the Habs pay Price's signing bonus for next season he might be an attraction. He would cost 2 mill after that for next season and then 7 the season after as he has another signing bonus.

Rafael Harvey-Pinard if a team is looking to buy cheap on a young guy.

There's a bunch, but nothing that people would flock for..

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
Huh? Why?
I like Joker but the writing is on the wall in terms of salary structure. It’s either him or Samuelson.

You can’t pay Joker 4.5-5 to be on your bottom pair. Not when you’re already paying Power Dahlin and Samuelsson. Also now Byram.

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
I'd say Jordan Harris, to make room on the blueline for incoming kids. Also, Dvorak could be of interest for any team looking for a short-term plug at C. Overpaid, but only signed for one more season...
Yes, to Harris. I think Dvorak starts as our 3C. Target a TDL trade of Dvorak, Savard and Armia (unless Armia gets re-signed for his excellent play).

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I could see a lot of goalie movement. Markstrom and Ullmark are most likely, Jarry, Merzlikins, and Gibson maybe. Doubtful on Binnington and Husso.

I highly doubt any of Chychrun, Laine, Ristolainen, Kane or the Zona goalies are moved.

I could see Zegras moved but not likely. Only if the price is high enough.

I think there is a very legitimate chance Spurgeon hits the market after his NTC drops to partial. I think Norris and Chabot may get offered up as well. Boqvist seems like a very likely candidate too.

Detroit probably tries to dump cap somewhere or sell Veleno.

I could also see Price's contract getting moved to like San Jose or Chicago
I don’t see zegras being moved, since his return he’s been our best player(which is consistent to the rest of the season)…. Only way is if we win the lottery then maybe…. But if a team wants him they are going to have to pay a premium

None of those silly Montreal offers

Lockin17

Jul 31, 2018
Matheson for a young prospect is likely to go this summer.

Ghule
Wifi
Hutson
Struble
Are ready to take over the left side next year

• Haha
Reactions: McJedi

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
Yes, to Harris. I think Dvorak starts as our 3C. Target a TDL trade of Dvorak, Savard and Armia (unless Armia gets re-signed for his excellent play).
Those 3 are likely to be on the outs at the trade deadline, yes...

Lockin17

Jul 31, 2018
Zegras

Markstrom

Harris

Doubt Hutson is playing in the NHL next season
He sure will play is 9 games at minimum. and if he does well he will stay.
My guess is he's playing at least 45 games next year. if not more.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Just wondering why Binnington is in this list.

As far as I know there aren't any rumors concerning him, he's definitely not a capdump and he also hasn't lost his spot to Hofer (eventhough the latter is a really good and potentially could challenge him in the future).
Wasn’t he rumoured to be in a deal to Edmonton to start the season? Obviously things have changed, but yeah, I thought St. Louis might want to go with Hofer and save on cap/age.

Nico Cauzuki

Jul 19, 2009
King Of The North
He sure will play is 9 games at minimum. and if he does well he will stay.
My guess is he's playing at least 45 games next year. if not more.
if i was a betting man i would easily bet against that Hutson his simply not ready yet and theres no reason to rush him neither he will be in Laval next season just like they did with Mailloux

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad