Who do you take at 7th (now 8th) overall?

Who do you take at 7th overall?

• Total voters

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
After reading Scott Powers most recent article. I would have zero issues if the Hawks grabbed Wahlstrom. The kid sounds like a stud.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Wahlstrom is being criminally under-ranked and under-talked about by many. I don't really get it. If he is on the board when the Hawks pick they unequivocally should select him.
me neither. he produced above a ppg pace prior to Hughes getting the call up, and obviously over 1.5ppg with Hughes on his line...I just do not see how you could take any of the dmen outside of Dahlin ahead of him....there is no way I would pass on Wahlstrom for Bouchard, Dobson, Boqvist, and Tkachuk...and I am a big fan of Bouchard and Lil Keith Tkachuk!

Wahlstrom has been #3 on my list for this draft since prior to the new year, if he is still there at 7 -holy hell this will be a happy hockey team again!

Reactions: migi

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Haha. I am still partial to Hughes because I think his skill set is world class but I feel like we will be picking too early or too late (I don't think he gets past Detroit).
yep, Hughes and Red Wings seem to be made for each other...but would be funny if he was taken right before Detroit picked just because I hate them lol!!

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I could see Uncle Jerry making it happen so that the Hughes brothers are on the same Wings team.
I never thought there would ever be a situation that I could hate any American players ...well, that would likely do it for me! lol!

we need them more Bettman, and a bigger market, pull some strings and make sure we get #1 next year - all in for "Action" Jackson Hughes!!

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
I wonder if fans would be mad at the team if they didn’t do much this offseason and rebuilt for another year. A player like Jack Hughes makes me think we could start the dynasty all over again. Paul Stastny would make me think we’re done as contenders and just trying to sell tickets to the farewell tour.

Tavares would give us a strong 2-3 year window before the team got too old and expensive.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
I wonder if fans would be mad at the team if they didn’t do much this offseason and rebuilt for another year. A player like Jack Hughes makes me think we could start the dynasty all over again. Paul Stastny would make me think we’re done as contenders and just trying to sell tickets to the farewell tour.

Tavares would give us a strong 2-3 year window before the team got too old and expensive.
Bowman and Q's jobs are on the line. They won't be trying to be a lottery team again.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
So I take it you are expecting a blockbuster move or do you actually think the hodge podge of players plan would work?
They'll sign a middle pairing defensemen, hope Forsling and Jokiharju are ready or near ready, address the goalie situation, and hopefully fix some of the issues with the system.

Winning a lottery pick would help too.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Well if more people don’t think it will work than not then they’re selling us snake oil. Can’t wait to see what they do.

It all depends who the people who think that are to an extent on HF but the same can be said for people who view things how I do.

Remember this team was near a playoff spot when Crow went down. Basically anything that could go wrong this season did.

Adding a top pick, a healthy Crow, a middle FA, and young guys having a year more of experience should do a lot. Not to mention the talent from past drafts starting to come through.

Could is go bad again? Absolutely but there is actually talent on the team here and coming despite what some say. Is it enough? We will see.

Last edited:

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
It all depends who the people who think that are to an extent on HF.

Remember this team was near a playoff spot when Crow went down. Basically anything that could go wrong this season did.

Adding a top pick, a healthy Crow, a middle FA, and young guys having a year more of experience should do a lot. Not to mention the talent from past drafts starting to come through.

He absolutely carried us though. Without him, you’re just signing guys to weaken the draft position, not make the playoffs. That’s what sucks about this, we could be sailing way off course if Crawford’s serious injury doesn’t miraculously heal without any decline in form. I don’t get how we can take that risk.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
He absolutely carried us though. Without him, you’re just signing guys to weaken the draft position, not make the playoffs. That’s what sucks about this, we could be sailing way off course if Crawford’s serious injury doesn’t miraculously heal without any decline in form. I don’t get how we can take that risk.

We don't know if he is healthy. I am sure the team knows where he is at and I guess we have to trust what the doctors are telling them.

If Crow is done then there are actually options (Holtby, etc).

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
I think Hawks undersell/over deliver this summer. They have cap space and valuable picks to leverage. Also can see them being aggressive shopping players to see what they can do. Bowman doesn’t have the luxury of another year to retool. The potential is there to be good next year, so its up to him to make it happen or find someone that will and keep Mark Kelley who deserves most of the credit for drafting the young guys on team.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
I'd prefer they don't sign some middling UFA this offseason. That's not what this team needs and it's generally not a thing that Cup teams do and see success. We're not a middle 6 forward/top 4 Dman away from winning a Cup.

The Hawks need...

-to have an excellent draft
-Toews, Saad, and Kieth to turn it around in a big way
-major adjustments to be made with Q's coaching strategies
-healthy Crawford

...or we're not winning anything. All of those things HAVE to happen. A De Haan or Stastny-esque signing doesn't alleviate that and Carlson/Tavares aren't realistic IMHO.

migi

Feb 25, 2015
I'd prefer they don't sign some middling UFA this offseason. That's not what this team needs and it's generally not a thing that Cup teams do and see success. We're not a middle 6 forward/top 4 Dman away from winning a Cup.

The Hawks need...

-healthy Crawford

...or we're not winning anything. All of those things HAVE to happen. A De Haan or Stastny-esque signing doesn't alleviate that and Carlson/Tavares aren't realistic IMHO.

Exactly.

Tavares might be the only free agent who would make us much, much better team next season. Carlson would make the D better but is he really that good? Stastny is good and all but not putting us over the top without all our current core players bouncing back and young players playing as good as they did, even better is pretty much needed too.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

Callidusblackhawk

Feb 15, 2012
Downers Grove, Illinois

The Hawks need...

-healthy Crawford

We get all that AND a top 4 dman and we're set imo.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Question is who do you take. I like Kravtsov and Hughes the most in our range. Seeing as we most likely pick 8th. I like the Russians this year more than most and would love to trade back and get Kravtsov and trade up and get Denisenko with Nashville’s.

I also would be fine with Wahlstrom at 7 or 8. Even Hughes. If we take Tkachuk I’ll be a little upset but that’s it. I like this draft a lot.

When I saw Tkachuk in the conference tourney and NCAA tourney he looked terrible. He seemed less engaging than his brother which is funny cause I heard the opposite.

I think we need to go back to drafting for high potential again. For a few years they seem to have drafted for floor more to find guys to compliment the core but now we need to take a few more swings here.

Last edited:
Reactions: wladyslaw

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad