Who do you take at 7th (now 8th) overall?

Who do you take at 7th overall?

• Total voters

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
I don't draft anybody.

I move one or both 1st round picks in a package for Karlsson, OEL, etc. Somebody that can help us now while the Toews/Kane/Keith window is still at least a little bit open. Nobody in the 7-30 range is going to make an immediate enough impact to be of worth.

Wait til the legit tear-down and rebuild to worry about early draft picks.

LOL what? Thank GOD Stan Bowman is the GM, and not you. Newsflash: Karlsson, OEL, and anyone you would get back from those two picks, doesn't make this team a contender. It might barely make them a playoff team.

One of the worst f***ing ideas I've ever seen.

Reactions: LordKOTL

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
LOL what? Thank GOD Stan Bowman is the GM, and not you. Newsflash: Karlsson, OEL, and anyone you would get back from those two picks, doesn't make this team a contender. It might barely make them a playoff team.

One of the worst ****ing ideas I've ever seen.

I disagree. I think you add a legit top 4D to this team and maybe one more useful (preferably 2-way forward) and the Blackhawks are right back in contention, albeit probably not favorites.

And the 2 draft picks certainly do not make this team a contender any time soon. They don't even make the team for 2-3 years by most estimates of the prospects in the 8 range (let alone 27, where you start questioning if he even makes the NHL).

So you can try to knock it out of the park now, while they still have a shot, or play it safe, completely miss the window, and have some nice mid-6 or 2nd/3rd pair kids added to the supporting cast when the pillars are no longer good enough to carry said supporting cast to the promised land. Going after a legit top4 or even top guy in Karlsson also gives us the succession plan for Keith. Cause currently we have nobody to replace him and he's slowing down as he rounds 35. You think he'll be better at 36, 37, 38? You think the cute little #8 draft pick is going to be his heir apparent? Lol

If you think he can get a legit top4 difference maker without 1 or both picks, great. I don't. I think too many teams want dmen, and they all recognize this moment, with so many legit top4 guys potentially on the move, as a moment not worth passing up for the sake of conservatism, only to find themselves still waiting for their legit dman years and years from now. The prices on all the legit difference makers will be high.

But if you'd prefer to suck again next year and get a head start on the rebuild now, then absolutely, using the picks at the draft rather than spending them on somebody that can help now is absolutely the best way to do that.

Last edited:

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
You have no one to replace Keith is why you don't pass up a bpa top 10 pick that could be a top pair Dman.

The let's make moves for now happened, that's over and done with. That's what 16 & 17 were and dumb trades or moves were for that push.

The moves last offseason were deliberately to not go for short term plans. To turn around 180 in one season is idiotic. If they should be all for going for it it'd be a lot better with Hjammer and Panarin on expiring deals

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Swing for the fences regardless of position. Unless Toews and Seabrook befriend Ponce de Leon and Crow gets Mr. Miyagi to rub his head ... this will take at least a couple of years before we contend again.

migi

Feb 25, 2015
I agree with @JaegerDice.

Our forward core was good enough this year to make a run, there was just very much bad luck etc. Schmaltz, Cat, Vinnie, Hayden, Saad and Sikura will/could be even better. Toews needs to be better, Kane will do Kane things. Anisimov is still valuable for this team.

Crawford’s injury was the biggest problem. Our D was second worst. D can be better, Crow hopefully is back.

I would definitely trade both those picks for Karlsson. Not for anyone else though.

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
You have no one to replace Keith is why you don't pass up a bpa top 10 pick that could be a top pair Dman.

The let's make moves for now happened, that's over and done with. That's what 16 & 17 were and dumb trades or moves were for that push.

The moves last offseason were deliberately to not go for short term plans. To turn around 180 in one season is idiotic. If they should be all for going for it it'd be a lot better with Hjammer and Panarin on expiring deals

I don't think any of the Dmen that might be around at the 8 spot have much of a chance of being a legit #1D. This isn't like the year with Hanafin, Provorov and Werenski, where all 3 were projected to be top pairing D. That draft was identified as deep up front with D prospects.

But let's say the Blackhawks get lucky (and or do a good job, however you want to frame it) and the guy they draft over-shoots his prognostications. It's still going to take several years for him to enter the lineup, and potentially years after that for him to actually be great at the NHL level.

It took Seth Jones for example, years to be a great Dman on Nashville, and it wasn't until a few years later in Columbus, paired with Werenski that he became a legit top-pairing impact player.

Karlsson was drafted in 2008. It took him til 2012 to make an impact.

And we all know the story with Keith, who was drafted in 2002 took awhile to make the NHL and struggled mightily until roughly 2007.

IF the Blackhawks do draft an impact player at 8, they're not going to be ready to help in time. Because by the time they a) get here and b) get good enough to be a legitimate impact contributor, the pillars of the core will be just that many years older and slower, and they won't be able to carry as much weight.

I'd be willing to part with one or both of the picks for legit help on D. I think an significant enough IMMEDIATE improvement to our d-corps is worth that price, depending on the guy.

Karlsson would certainly be worth both.
Hanafin, Slavin, OEL would certainly be at least 1, though you'd have to add. But if OEL wants 8mil as reported, that's a non-starter.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
We cannot cap accommodate Karlsson...non-starter trade from get go. .

I keep our picks..
would not take Quinn Hughes because even though he is a LD and the only LD in top ten rankings,and even though he us the best skater in this draft and probably can start right away because of that ...despite his size issues, he has 1 flaw that makes me want to avoid him...his shot is average at best ....maybe below average from the point. ..so that is not what we need in a #1 dman replacement for Keith now or down the line...Next draft is the first of 3 exceptional draft classes and we probably get a better LD #1D projection candidate from that 1st round crop..So better we add to our Centre needs and depth because we have a chance of grabbing Kotkaniemi who checks so many Centre boxes ...size (strength already among peer group but will get even stronger as he fills but fully)...200 ft player...GOOD AT FACE-OFFS ....Still not sure about Ejdsell's potential for 2C let alone 1C to replace aging and underachieving Toews. ...and Schatz cannot win draws and has little clue in defending our own zone..so we NEED a bother top six Centre with competence and Kopitar -like ability...I say take Kotkaniemi and then with the #27 go for a LD with size or double down with another Centre ...It is easiest to find wingers either in the draft or by trade..bit you have to draft Centers ....our Cap precludes train picks to get significant impact players who cost too much ..We can maybe add a LD vet by free agency or trade Anisimov to clear cap but only if we draft a Centre to if not replace him right away then at least maybe a year hence.

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
We cannot cap accommodate Karlsson...non-starter trade from get go. .

I keep our picks..
would not take Quinn Hughes because even though he is a LD and the only LD in top ten rankings,and even though he us the best skater in this draft and probably can start right away because of that ...despite his size issues, he has 1 flaw that makes me want to avoid him...his shot is average at best ....maybe below average from the point. ..so that is not what we need in a #1 dman replacement for Keith now or down the line...Next draft is the first of 3 exceptional draft classes and we probably get a better LD #1D projection candidate from that 1st round crop..So better we add to our Centre needs and depth because we have a chance of grabbing Kotkaniemi who checks so many Centre boxes ...size (strength already among peer group but will get even stronger as he fills but fully)...200 ft player...GOOD AT FACE-OFFS ....Still not sure about Ejdsell's potential for 2C let alone 1C to replace aging and underachieving Toews. ...and Schatz cannot win draws and has little clue in defending our own zone..so we NEED a bother top six Centre with competence and Kopitar -like ability...I say take Kotkaniemi and then with the #27 go for a LD with size or double down with another Centre ...It is easiest to find wingers either in the draft or by trade..bit you have to draft Centers ....our Cap precludes train picks to get significant impact players who cost too much ..We can maybe add a LD vet by free agency or trade Anisimov to clear cap but only if we draft a Centre to if not replace him right away then at least maybe a year hence.

Depends on how much he wants. Between finding a way to get Hossa's money off the books and the 5mill increase to the cap, that's a lot of money you could spend. And that's before you consider potentially trading Anisimov if you really needed to.

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Depends on how much he wants. Between finding a way to get Hossa's money off the books and the 5mill increase to the cap, that's a lot of money you could spend. And that's before you consider potentially trading Anisimov if you really needed to.

You just said OEL’s $8 million wouldn’t work. Karlsson will want at least $2 million more.

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
You just said OEL’s $8 million wouldn’t work. Karlsson will want at least $2 million more.

The raw number would work, but as much as I like OEL, I don't think he's worth 8mil right now. He's regressed as he's aged. He's still great and would help the team a lot, but not for that money.

PLus that's just a rumor at this point.

Kane and Toews came to the negotiating table with offers of 12mil, remember? You always start high.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
Q is still the coach next season, yes? And the goaltending situation is still unclear, yes? Again, this team isn't contending with the addition of a top pairing defenseman.

There is also no way the Hawks can afford to keep OEL or Karlsson, along with Schmaltz, DeBrincat, and all the young guys that will need contracts. So you're giving up the #8 pick and a guaranteed top 4 cost controlled defenseman or top 6 cost controlled forward, for a year of OEL or Karlsson???? And hoping that's enough for you win the cup next season? Huh?

Also, Karlsson didn't make an impact until 2012? lol what? He was arguably their #2 in 2009-2010. He was the #1 in 2010-2011.... Ottawa is an awful franchise, to boot.

Last edited:

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Q is still the coach next season, yes? And the goaltending situation is still unclear, yes? Again, this team isn't contending with the addition of a top pairing defenseman.

There is also no way the Hawks can afford to keep OEL or Karlsson, along with Schmaltz, DeBrincat, and all the young guys that will need contracts. So you're giving up the #8 pick and a guaranteed top 4 cost controlled defenseman or top 6 cost controlled forward, for a year of OEL or Karlsson???? And hoping that's enough for you win the cup next season? Huh?

I wouldn’t call it guaranteed. Top 10 picks can be busts.

But I agree with the rest of your post.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
This draft seems to be about as guaranteed as it gets. Of course they can be busts. But it's a much, much better year than most. You don't give up that kind of chip for a one year rental.

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
This draft seems to be about as guaranteed as it gets. Of course they can be busts. But it's a much, much better year than most. You don't give up that kind of chip for a one year rental.

I agree, I’m just saying it’s still not a guarantee. Very few things in sports are guarantees.

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
This draft position is about d-men. Excellent d-men. So many of them. Boqvist is a wet dream, probably won't happen. But...

Bouchard or Dobson would be just perfect. To me they are solid top pair d-men in the NHL. Not next year or the next, but in 3-4 years.

I think there's a good chance Stan picks Quintin Hughes. I'm not sold on him, but I am prepared for it.

There is no immediate help here for the Hawks aging core though. The future core player drafted here won't win a Cup with Toews/Kane. You just have to find the next Duncan Keith now. You aren't filling any holes right now. That's what you've got to understand.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
This draft position is about d-men. Excellent d-men. So many of them. Boqvist is a wet dream, probably won't happen. But...

Bouchard or Dobson would be just perfect. To me they are solid top pair d-men in the NHL. Not next year or the next, but in 3-4 years.

I think there's a good chance Stan picks Quintin Hughes. I'm not sold on him, but I am prepared for it.

There is no immediate help here for the Hawks aging core though. The future core player drafted here won't win a Cup with Toews/Kane. You just have to find the next Duncan Keith now. You aren't filling any holes right now. That's what you've got to understand.
Hughes won't be available. There's not a chance he makes it past Detroit. Also you should be sold on him.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Yeah, I don't understand Jaeger when he says that this draft isn't likeHanafin, Povorov or Werenski. I was under the assumption it's deeper and better on D this year than most in the recent past.

Reactions: SotasicA

Kaners PPGs

Jun 2, 2012
Chicagoland (Tinley Park)
Boqvist

If you are taking a dman, your play is at least 3-4 years down the road when he’ll be a member of the next core. Might as well take a player that has elite potential. If you are not trading this pick and taking a dman, you are essnetially closing the book on this core of players. I am fine with that. Hell, if Crawford doesnt come back 100%, it’s the best move anyays.

Rolo

Aug 9, 2011
I say keep the pick and you might get someone who jumps to the NHL sooner like Carlo and McAvoy.

I wouldn't mind trading 27th+Duclair+ for immediate help

pvr

Leather Skates
Jan 22, 2008
I say keep the pick and you might get someone who jumps to the NHL sooner like Carlo and McAvoy.

I wouldn't mind trading 27th+Duclair+ for immediate help
By all means I hope the Hawks get rid of Duclair. Fast, but no hockey intelligence. Wasn’t impressed with him.

Reactions: ray c

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Duclair plays like a player who was so much better than his opponents in his amateur days and doesn't have the grit and/or character to reach his potential. I'm sure he feels right at home to be in the country club. The question is: can he be motivated to go the extra mile by the right coaching? Unfortunately, it seems obvious that Hawks don't have a coach who can do that.... yet.

Personally, I think Hawks should stick with him and hope that help arrives.

ProphetofthePuck

Dec 2, 2017
Tkachuk is a home run ..... Can they make another run .... depends where their head is at ....ask them(rhetorical) .....different tense.... Ask them them being Toews Kieth Seabrook Ask them(in earnest) to the reply excited about the season the old rehearsed 1 game at a time we got to have grit etc etc .....
Still this years lesson of Tampa .....They went into camp early ..Played top of the NHL ran into a brick wall of a team (ran out of gas or ?)....As opposed to this years Hawks lesson .....Toews sending postcards and Showing his backyard rig .... the one where i know who he got the idea from ....
the contrast of want ........

yea no they get a 40 pointer or 2 ...they get a rugged winger that can play ..... lol even Burns as undressed as he got for a Pizza line with Seabrook .....
The reasoning behind the thought ...trade the pick if the price is right ...is as valid get the potential star ....moving up for the d man not out of the question
the pick will not produce in the operational contract life of other players ...not fair ...not best business ...sometimes a necessary consideration
all this talking and belly aching do not mean spit if they do not want to resurrect careers or even consider it not close to that

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
Tkachuk is a home run ..... Can they make another run .... depends where their head is at ....ask them(rhetorical) .....different tense.... Ask them them being Toews Kieth Seabrook Ask them(in earnest) to the reply excited about the season the old rehearsed 1 game at a time we got to have grit etc etc .....
Still this years lesson of Tampa .....They went into camp early ..Played top of the NHL ran into a brick wall of a team (ran out of gas or ?)....As opposed to this years Hawks lesson .....Toews sending postcards and Showing his backyard rig .... the one where i know who he got the idea from ....
the contrast of want ........

yea no they get a 40 pointer or 2 ...they get a rugged winger that can play ..... lol even Burns as undressed as he got for a Pizza line with Seabrook .....
The reasoning behind the thought ...trade the pick if the price is right ...is as valid get the potential star ....moving up for the d man not out of the question
the pick will not produce in the operational contract life of other players ...not fair ...not best business ...sometimes a necessary consideration
all this talking and belly aching do not mean spit if they do not want to resurrect careers or even consider it not close to that

This is like a BWC Fiddy hybrid post

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad