Who do you Pick at 10th Overall

Who do you Pick at 10th Overall?

• Total voters

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I like the Defensemen available, but if Wahlstrom is available at 10, that would be increadible, he would be such great fit, imo. I could totally see him maybe being a Max Pac type.
RNH - McDavid - Wahlstrom
Could be a scary line.

Yamamoto - Drai - Puljujarvi
If they both keep developing.

Reactions: ujju2

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
I like the Defensemen available, but if Wahlstrom is available at 10, that would be increadible, he would be such great fit, imo. I could totally see him maybe being a Max Pac type.
Yeah if the big 4D post Dahlin D are all gone and Wahlstrom falls I think you have to take him. He could end up being better than Zadina IMO.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Bouchard won't fall to #10.. his skating isn't that bad. He's a RHD which gives him an extra edge in scout's minds as well and he just ripped up the OHL in his draft year putting up huge numbers. I'd love it if he did slide as I see him as the absolute best fit for the Oilers of any player in this draft (maybe that guy over in Sweden would be pretty good as well). :)

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Yeah if the big 4D post Dahlin D are all gone and Wahlstrom falls I think you have to take him. He could end up being better than Zadina IMO.

I honestly don't see the hype on Zadina. I'd take Kotkaniemi or Wahlstrom easily over Zadina. Some have Zadina neck and neck with Svechnikov... I don't see that at all.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
I honestly don't see the hype on Zadina. I'd take Kotkaniemi or Wahlstrom easily over Zadina. Some have Zadina neck and neck with Svechnikov... I don't see that at all.
Yeah I don’t see that either. I think Zadina Tkachuk and Wahlstrom are all pretty close.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Another knock on Zadina is that he's a left shot LW.

Wahlstrom is a right shot who plays C/W... valuable combo.

Kotkaniemi is a left shot but plays C as well... again an advantage.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017

Zadina is also just a better player than both.

Again...an advantage

Reactions: ujju2

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
If the Oilers had the #3 pick and the Isles offered #11 + #12 for it... would you do that deal?
No, because the Oilers have a need for a high end defender or scoring winger. None of that is available at #3

If we needed a center and there was none in the top 10 then...yeah I would

McKappa

philip bruhberg
Oct 16, 2011
Edmonton
I would have the Oilers draft list like this.

Dahlin
Svechnikov
Zadina
Boqvist
Hughes
Dobson
Tkachuk
Bouchard
Wahlstrom
Kotkaniemi

Any of these 10 and I would be very happy as compensation for this atrocious season. Personally I think there's a drop off in talent after these 10.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
I was never sold on Veleno the last few years but that was only due to the hype he had.

People need to understand the pressure he's had to face on his come up, receiving controversial draft status in the Q. He's handled that all fairly well actually.

He is a solid 2 way center. Great vision, has wheels so he plays good defensively which is big, all in all a total team player.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
I know there's a consensus top 9, but there's no way that one player outside that group does not get selected before us. Happens every year. I think one of those players listed is available and I hope we don't pass on them.

Agree with this... and if I'm the GM of the team going "off the board", my first call is to Chia, I'm sure I can get an extra pick out of him to allow him to move up a few picks.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
I don't think Zadina needs much defending his performance at the WJC was fantastic and if you just compare him to last years first overall in Hischier he had a 1.51 Pts/per game in his draft year for the Mooseheads and Zadina had a 1.44 Pts/per game in his draft year for the Mooseheads and Zadina also had better point production than Hischier in the playoffs.

While versatility is always valued, given the long term outlook of our team I don't feel the need for us in particular to give many bonus points for being able to play C in the top 6 we should have that covered for the foreseeable future, there also guys who play C at lower levels at times just to kind of fill an important gap, but it seems fairly clear just through an evaluation of their skill set that they are highly likely to be converted to wing when they reach the AHL/NHL .To me Wahlstrom fits the bill of an occasional C who will almost certainly be converted to wing permanently the second he turns pro, barring being drafted by an organization completely devoid of centers who try to forcibly shoehorn him into that role, like Montreal with Drouin.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Kotkaniemi looks interesting. The guys who end up rising big time in their draft years a lot of the time go on to be great picks. Thinking of guys like Johansen, Horvat, H. Lindholm, Zibanejad, Scheifele, Skinner, Keller, Dubois who were similar in their draft year. I could see him going in the top 7, but needs to be considered at our pick if available. Smart centers with skill and size are hard to come by.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
No more Finns please thanks.

??? so we're now ruling out Finns and Russians because of our history with them? Soon we'll have to cut back Swedes too - our track record isn't much better there.

...Personally, I'd rather just pick the best player available and improve our development system, but I suppose the latter is wishful thinking.

Reactions: snipes

EDMOILERS9729

Dec 25, 2017
I feel like a lot of people underapreciate Tkachuk. Im not his biggest fan either but the guy is definitely a top 10 pick and will most likely go top 5. However if everyone else is gone and somehow he is there at 10 I think itd be a no brainer to take him. He'll most likely step in next year and be a good top 6 contributor like his brother was. And lets face it a Tkachuk rivalry mixed in with the BOA would be f***ing crazy.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
No more Canadians please. Our record with them is poor.

*excepting you know who. He's fair.

Reactions: Aerrol

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille