Who do you Pick at 10th Overall

Who do you Pick at 10th Overall?

• Total voters

kurtcobang

Feb 18, 2007
I voted Smith, but any of the top D will do. Especially if Yawney is joining the team. He did an amazing job in Anaheim with the D, hopefully it can continue here.
Even Wahlstrom or the big fin would be ok, as long as we are getting a good prospect in the cupboard. I would definitely prefer a D to fall to us but a high end prospect is important imo no matter what position he plays.

JetsOilersfan

Feb 4, 2012
Pick will most likely be traded - I hear they have their eye on Ty Smith though. I get what a lot of you are saying but remember Ty Smith isnt' NHL ready and won't be for probably three years or so. So a lot of those 'left handed' dmen we have (Sekera and Russell for sure) won't be here when he's ready to play (full time). Though as mentioned, most likely we won't own the 10th pick come draft day. If we do though, and we take Ty Smith - remember this is a future pick, not a pick meant to be on our roster in the next couple of years.

EDMOILERS9729

Dec 25, 2017
I wont be surprised at all when I hear Chia call Ty Smith's name at the draft. Plays with Yamamoto in WHL. From Alberta. And is a scoring dman. Checks off all the boxes in Chias mind.

Reactions: A91

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
Tier one in no order
Dobson
Bouchard
Bowvist
Wahlstrom

Tier two
Kotkaniemi
Smith

One of tier one will fall Imo

fireantz

Mar 15, 2007
If the RHD pics are gone at 10 trade it to Mtl for Gallagher and the 34 They take a Center Kotkaniemi or Veleno and we take RHD Addison or Merkley. Can’t afford immediate upgrade on D so instead we go secondary scoring with a winger for Drai

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Paajarvi fell to us... Puljujarvi also fell to us...
I have a strong feeling that Boqvist will fall to us this draft.

Reactions: McFlash97

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
If the RHD pics are gone at 10 trade it to Mtl for Gallagher and the 34 They take a Center Kotkaniemi or Veleno and we take RHD Addison or Merkley. Can’t afford immediate upgrade on D so instead we go secondary scoring with a winger for Drai
Or we trade up to 3 and get a RD... they can pick a C at 10 and take our 2nd

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
IMO if we stay at 10:
Dahlin
Svenchnikov
Zadina
Boqvist
Hughes
Dobson
Tkachuk
Bouchard
Kotkaniemi
Smith

Anyone but Hayton. Also not too much of a Wahlstrom fan, but could stomach him over Hayton.

Hughes will be a bust.
Yes, a top 5 skater in the draft entering an NHL where speed and agility are the most important attributes will be a bust...
is Noah Dobson simply a "safe" RH defenseman? meaning good skating/size/decent hands

is he closer to Pietrangelo or Larsson or Brandon Gormley (low end)?
Kind of except his skating is considered elite. I believe I've read that he's the best player in the draft in terms of skating backwards, so Pietrangelo would be a better comparison as Larsson isn't exactly a world beater at skating (and Gormley just not good at all).

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
Not sure if anyone cares or not, but here's a rough synopsis of the interview Stauffer did with Bob Green yesterday during Oilers Now.

-Thinks a good player will be availabe at 10, but doesn't think it's a particular deep draft overall.
-Will be doing their team meetings starting next week to iron out their final draft list.
-Green agreed with Stauffer that after the first 4 names in the draft (Dahlin/Svechnikov/Zadina/Tkachuk), there could be a lot of variance from team to team on what names they have ranked between 5-10.
-Stauffer brought up forwards Walstrom and Kotkaniemi given their work in the U18 tourney, Green agreed that they could be expected to go in the top 12 in the draft.
-Dmen Hughes/Bouchard/Dobson/Boqvist were brought up, Green said any of them would be a great pick if one was available at 10, and that they all impact the game in slightly different ways.
-Considers the handedness of a dman more of a 'tiebreaker' when comparing dmen of equal ability, doesn't buy that you should take a RD if it means taking a lesser player.
-Regarding Ty Smith, said his offensive numbers were outstanding and that he's a left hand shooting dman who's more comfortable playing the right side. Liked his elusiveness, said he's hard to hit. Stauffer brought up the Kris Russell comparison (smallish dman who put up big numbers in the WHL), Green replied that Russell absorbed a lot of physical punishment in junior which is something Smith has evaded.
-Green confirmed that they do make use of analytics when making draft day decisions, said it was a valuable tool.
-Stauffer brought up Joe Veleno's U18 and thought his hockey sense was a bit lacking, Green replied that 17 year olds can look like that because they're used to doing everything off the rush...said it's something that'll likely improve with experience.

Anyway, just thought I'd share as it seems appropriate for this thread.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007

And all those picks turned out. I still say trade up for the guy we want.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
Stauffer really marketing Wahlstrom a lot on Oilers Now....if he falls and we still have someone like Boqvist on the table The Oilers better not select Wahlstrom. It would be such an Oiler thing to do.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Stauffer really marketing Wahlstrom a lot on Oilers Now....if he falls and we still have someone like Boqvist on the table The Oilers better not select Wahlstrom. It would be such an Oiler thing to do.
I don’t see a scenario where 2 of that top 9 group fall.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
This should be a minor factor in almost any draft.
I feel this will be a factor for us though. Unless someone falls to us they are looking at probably 3-5 years before they get impact out of this draft.

PC isn't here in 3-5 years if he doesn't ice a team next year that makes the playoffs.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
Not sure if anyone cares or not, but here's a rough synopsis of the interview Stauffer did with Bob Green yesterday during Oilers Now.

-Thinks a good player will be availabe at 10, but doesn't think it's a particular deep draft overall.
-Will be doing their team meetings starting next week to iron out their final draft list.
-Green agreed with Stauffer that after the first 4 names in the draft (Dahlin/Svechnikov/Zadina/Tkachuk), there could be a lot of variance from team to team on what names they have ranked between 5-10.
-Stauffer brought up forwards Walstrom and Kotkaniemi given their work in the U18 tourney, Green agreed that they could be expected to go in the top 12 in the draft.
-Dmen Hughes/Bouchard/Dobson/Boqvist were brought up, Green said any of them would be a great pick if one was available at 10, and that they all impact the game in slightly different ways.
-Considers the handedness of a dman more of a 'tiebreaker' when comparing dmen of equal ability, doesn't buy that you should take a RD if it means taking a lesser player.
-Regarding Ty Smith, said his offensive numbers were outstanding and that he's a left hand shooting dman who's more comfortable playing the right side. Liked his elusiveness, said he's hard to hit. Stauffer brought up the Kris Russell comparison (smallish dman who put up big numbers in the WHL), Green replied that Russell absorbed a lot of physical punishment in junior which is something Smith has evaded.
-Green confirmed that they do make use of analytics when making draft day decisions, said it was a valuable tool.
-Stauffer brought up Joe Veleno's U18 and thought his hockey sense was a bit lacking, Green replied that 17 year olds can look like that because they're used to doing everything off the rush...said it's something that'll likely improve with experience.

Anyway, just thought I'd share as it seems appropriate for this thread.
I hadn't realized Smith was comfortable playing the right side. That makes him a whole lot more attractive to the Oilers.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011

And then he'll bust because of the reasons why he fell in the first place?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad