Who do you Pick at 10th Overall

Who do you Pick at 10th Overall?

• Total voters

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
I honestly don't see the hype on Zadina. I'd take Kotkaniemi or Wahlstrom easily over Zadina. Some have Zadina neck and neck with Svechnikov... I don't see that at all.

I have Zadina ahead of Svechnikov. Watch how he finds open space and can absolutely snipe it. Guy will easily score 25+ in the NHL IMO and his game should transition well as it doesnt depend on pure skill but more IQ.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Watch how he finds open space
He finds open space but he doesn’t create it. That’s what separates Sveshnikov for me. Sveshnikov creates offense on his own. Zadina will need some good playmakers finding him to produce.

Reactions: Aerrol

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
He finds open space but he doesn’t create it. That’s what separates Sveshnikov for me. Sveshnikov creates offense on his own. Zadina will need some good playmakers finding him to produce.
Which is why I think Carolina takes him. Zadina and Necas have insane chemistry and they already have 1. Picking Zadina at 2 isn't a massive reach, especially when you have guaranteed chemistry.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Which is why I think Carolina takes him. Zadina and Necas have insane chemistry and they already have 1. Picking Zadina at 2 isn't a massive reach, especially when you have guaranteed chemistry.
That’s true but I still don’t see it. Who’s to say Sveshnikov can’t develop chemistry with someone in a couple of months?

Reactions: A91 and Aerrol

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
That’s true but I still don’t see it. Who’s to say Sveshnikov can’t develop chemistry with someone in a couple of months?
No one. The thing is they are very close with a slight edge to Svechnikov. So put into the fact that there is instant chemistry you know about that may be enough to go with him instead.

Not saying they will, Svechnikov is the better player but because of the chemistry it would 100% make sense too

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
Svechnikov has 40 goals in 44 games, or 0.91 goals per game in the OHL. 5 goals in 7 playoff games for 0.71.
Zadina has 44 goals in 57 games, or 0.77 goals per game in the Q.

The Q is a more offensive league and easier to score in, and yet the supposed 'superior sniper' Zadina has significantly worse goal scoring numbers. If you want to expand it to overall points, Svech still wins. (72 pts in 44 for 1.63 vs 82 pts in 57 for 1.44). The only reason people are so in love with Zadina IMO is he prefers to get open for one-timer shots more, and he had a great world jrs. I'll be shocked if Carolina passes on Svech for pre-existing jrs chemistry.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007

The question is whether Svechnikov will be good enough to do it at the NHL level. We've seen guys like Yakupov and Galchenyuk have a similar skillset to Svechnikov bust. I dont think theres any question Zadina will score goals at the NHL level, given how good the passers are.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Svechnikov has 40 goals in 44 games, or 0.91 goals per game in the OHL. 5 goals in 7 playoff games for 0.71.

The Q is a more offensive league and easier to score in, and yet the supposed 'superior sniper' Zadina has significantly worse goal scoring numbers. If you want to expand it to overall points, Svech still wins. (72 pts in 44 for 1.63 vs 82 pts in 57 for 1.44). The only reason people are so in love with Zadina IMO is he prefers to get open for one-timer shots more, and he had a great world jrs. I'll be shocked if Carolina passes on Svech for pre-existing jrs chemistry.

How did they look at the WJC's? How did Yakupov look at the WJC's in his draft year?

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
The question is whether Svechnikov will be good enough to do it at the NHL level. We've seen guys like Yakupov and Galchenyuk have a similar skillset to Svechnikov bust. I dont think theres any question Zadina will score goals at the NHL level, given how good the passers are.
Sveshnikov with his size and nose for the net in tight reminds me more of Matthews than Gally or Yak. I think you could throw him on any 3rd line in the nhl next year and he’d still manage over 20 goals.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
How did they look at the WJC's? How did Yakupov look at the WJC's in his draft year?

Yakupov looked great to me at the world jrs. So did Svech, and I don't think Zadina looked as insanely good as some people think. I also think Zadina's shot is overrated. Svech rips it just as well.

Plus I can't believe someone who watches prospects as much as you is citing the world jrs as a primary method of prospect evaluation.

edit: Not to mention... Svechnikov is only comparable to both Galchenyuk and Yakupov because he has a Russian last name. Galchenyuk and Yakupov both played pretty different games from eachother too. Seems like a lazy evaluation based on last name.

Reactions: Stud Muffin

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017

Is the Q that much of a higher scoring league? The OHL had a team at 317 and 297 goals (Svechnikov Colts)

The highest scoring team in the q had 277

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Yakupov looked great to me at the world jrs. So did Svech, and I don't think Zadina looked as insanely good as some people think. I also think Zadina's shot is overrated. Svech rips it just as well.

Plus I can't believe someone who watches prospects as much as you is citing the world jrs as a primary method of prospect evaluation.

Its a higher level of competition. Guys who rip up the WJC's in their draft year usually do well in the NHL.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
Is the Q that much of a higher scoring league? The OHL had a team at 317 and 297 goals (Svechnikov Colts)

The highest scoring team in the q had 277

Interesting numbers. I don't actually know at this point, last I remember is reading a breakdown a few years back showing that the Q was significantly easier to score in. Maybe things have shifted. Fair point.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Sveshnikov with his size and nose for the net in tight reminds me more of Matthews than Gally or Yak. I think you could throw him on any 3rd line in the nhl next year and he’d still manage over 20 goals.

Nah reminds me of Yakupov picking up speed through the neutral zone then charging the net. Will be interesting to see how he transitions.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Its a higher level of competition. Guys who rip up the WJC's in their draft year usually do well in the NHL.
Jesse Pulijaarvi ripped up the world juniors and is still finding his game in his draft +2 year. Now I still think Jesse will become a good player but he’ll never be a ppg star scorer in the nhl.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014

It's also an insanely short period of games. Yamamoto had a garbage world jr's this year. Dylan Strome has had some pretty amazing ones and been awful. Tolvanen was bad this year and then went back to the KHL to tear it up again. I don't have the time to go back but it's not very hard to find plenty of prospects who do well and then fail to go on to do much, or do poorly and then develop well.

I will grant you that flipping through the all-star team selections over the years is a pretty reliable list of decent NHL players.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Jesse Pulijaarvi ripped up the world juniors and is still finding his game in his draft +2 year. Now I still think Jesse will become a good player but he’ll never be a ppg star scorer in the nhl.

Look at the two guys he played with on that line and how theyre doing now. Maybe they had something to do with his great stats? In saying that he did look great at the tournament, and obviously not every player turns out. But Id say more guys who score well at the WJC's in their draft year turn out, then not.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
It's also an insanely short period of games. Yamamoto had a garbage world jr's this year. Dylan Strome has had some pretty amazing ones and been awful. Tolvanen was bad this year and then went back to the KHL to tear it up again. I don't have the time to go back but it's not very hard to find plenty of prospects who do well and then fail to go on to do much, or do poorly and then develop well.

I will grant you that flipping through the all-star team selections over the years is a pretty reliable list of decent NHL players.

IN THEIR DRAFT YEAR is the key here

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Plus if the World Jrs is so important, @RaabHart , then your boy Hughes definitely doesn't look great ;)

3 points in 7 games aint bad for a dman. Id be worried if he didnt get on the stat sheet. Svechnikov only had 5 assists in 5 games as an offensive catalyst. Youd think for a scoring winger he could have potted at least one.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
3 points in 7 games aint bad for a dman. Id be worried if he didnt get on the stat sheet. Svechnikov only had 5 assists in 5 games as an offensive catalyst. Youd think for a scoring winger he could have potted at least one.

It also isn't all that impressive for a guy who's known as an offensive dynamo and has been putting up historic numbers in the NCAA. I'd say they're even less impressive considering he had the better team than Svechnikov - Russian didn't even medal.

And Zadina put up 7 goals and 1 assist in 7 games - definitely way more impressive than 5 assists in 5 games, but hardly makes up for Svech's longer, better track record over the entire year.

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
Look at the two guys he played with on that line and how theyre doing now. Maybe they had something to do with his great stats? In saying that he did look great at the tournament, and obviously not every player turns out. But Id say more guys who score well at the WJC's in their draft year turn out, then not.

He was also incredible in the U18 World Championships, dominating like I've personally never seen. Especially in the final (he joined the team late) against Sweden he was in his own league, scoring three goals, hitting the crossbar and giving plenty of beautiful passes that the others failed to finish. He also had a great spring (around a ppg, also in the playoffs) in the FEL. There's no question the core should be good.

I won't be writing more about Jesse for a while, just wanted to mention that as I happened to notice your post.

Reactions: PulYou and Aerrol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->