Who do you Pick at 10th Overall

Who do you Pick at 10th Overall?

• Total voters

ImmuneEH

Apr 2, 2017
Given that Kotkaniemi posted solid numbers in Liiga, performed very well at WJC-18, all while being one of the youngest in the draft, I would happily pick him.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
This draft reminds me of the year we got Nurse.

Clear cut top 6 with all of us hoping Monahan drops to us. Didnt happen. Nurse so far has met expectations and is progressing nicely. I doubt any of the top 9 drop to us but hopefully it works out just the same.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
The thing with Smith is that he was already a borderline player outside the top 10 and the WJC-18 didn't do him any favours so he's likely fallen on many team's lists and at best stayed the same on others.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I know there's a consensus top 9, but there's no way that one player outside that group does not get selected before us. Happens every year. I think one of those players listed is available and I hope we don't pass on them.

That said, from this list I'm on the Ty Smith bandwagon.
Yeah one of the centers for sure goes top 9 which means one or Boqvist, Hughes, Wahlstrom or Dobson falls to us.

Reactions: Ck1 and OilDrop37

Hockey Nightmare

Oct 25, 2007
Buttons drafts are always a bit 'out there'. Not saying he's wrong, but I'm not holding out hope. That being said, I remember when Cam Fowler fell, so...

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
The best defender available. Course the next forward available will do better in the next year, but "all the fans" hate them anyways so its all good.

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
Whats the group consensus on Bode Wilde? I’d really like the Oilers to grab RH shot D with upside. Scouting reports rave about potential but all also mention raw nature of game. Does he have the hockey brain to play a more structured game and still put up points? Is he a Charlie McAvoy or just another dum dum who will never make it? Maybe potential to trade down, get another pick, and still get a potential top pair RHD??

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Whats the group consensus on Bode Wilde? I’d really like the Oilers to grab RH shot D with upside. Scouting reports rave about potential but all also mention raw nature of game. Does he have the hockey brain to play a more structured game and still put up points? Is he a Charlie McAvoy or just another dum dum who will never make it? Maybe potential to trade down, get another pick, and still get a potential top pair RHD??
I don’t see the top pair potential there.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
I think Kotkaniemi would be a great fit here, given we need forward depth prospects even more than defense...but I think he's gone by 10

therefore, BPA of the defensemen available (Boqvist, Dobson, Hughes) or Wahlstrom (shooter for Connor)

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB

Addison is a great option for a RHD with top pairing potential. He gets underrated by most but is among the best dmen in this draft.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
I think Kotkaniemi would be a great fit here, given we need forward depth prospects even more than defense...but I think he's gone by 10

Kotkaniemi could easily be as good or better than Svechnikov. Great size, good speed, defensively responsible, already playing a strong pro game vs men and the flexibility to play the C or W position as well.

Perfect fit for the Oilers.

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
Sure guys. Smith is out scoring Provorov in his draft year and has better transition stats than Bouchard and Dobson, but he's not top 10 worthy.

What happened the last time we drafted based on 1 tournament? Oh yeah, Puljujarvi.

Smith isn't even my first choice at 10 but it's pretty hilarious how much people are shitcanning a player they know nothing about

I don't know how to post tweets on mobile but if you want some stats on Ty Smith check out @NDRedEagle on twitter .

Reactions: MessierII

PBandJ

If it didn't happen in the 80's, it didn't happen
Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
I trade it. There's no gamebreakers available at this pick, anyone we take is 2-3 years from cracking the roster.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Sure guys. Smith is out scoring Provorov in his draft year and has better transition stats than Bouchard and Dobson, but he's not top 10 worthy.

What happened the last time we drafted based on 1 tournament? Oh yeah, Puljujarvi.

Smith isn't even my first choice at 10 but it's pretty hilarious how much people are ****canning a player they know nothing about

I don't know how to post tweets on mobile but if you want some stats on Ty Smith check out @NDRedEagle on twitter .

Personally I'm not shitcanning him. I just think he's a slightly smaller (and I'm not even really holding that against him but it is a factor), LHD who hasn't really separated himself from other dmen in this draft that also might/will be available at #10.

It doesn't mean he's dogshit to simply feel other dmen are better picks at #10 than Smith.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
My top 3 here are-
1) Ty Smith, 2) Jesperi Kotkaniemi, 3) Joel Farabee

I feel like familiarity and a lack of eye-popping skills has some a bit lower on Ty Smith than they should be, he's got good wheels, is smart, and moves the puck very well, a fundamental building block we need on this team just solid capable puck movement from the back end. Ty Smith's underlying numbers are really solid, he's an Alberta kid, and already has chemistry with Yamamoto, don't want to overthink things or get too cute, we passed on McDavid's teammates in Dermott and Debrincat and both are looking pretty solid so far. I'm not sure Smith is going to end up the BPA at our pick, but he feels like a solid safe pick and fits the template for the style of team we apparently want to be now that Chia isn't just going the big and tough direction.

Jesperi Kotkaniemi looks quite skilled and I like that his shot volume is relatively high, but I have to nick him a bit just cause his NHL equivalency numbers aren't great (though they do closely mirror Rantanen's who has obviously turned out well), a good chance he's the best available option here and could have a bit of homerun potential.

Farabee just seems to have a knack for finding ways to get a bit of seperation on guys and seems to do well at beating goalies one on one when he finds that space, I don't sense him having huge upside, but seems like a guy who'll get a good amount of points just cause he knows what his assets are and how to utilize them and can still be counted to help defensively as well.

Reactions: snipes

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Kotkaniemi doesn't play on a particularly highly powered team in terms of offense. He's put up excellent numbers in a pro men's league when you consider that factor in comparison to some of the other highly ranked forwards.

I think there is a very strong case to be made that Kotkaniemi is the best forward in this draft.

Reactions: snipes

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
My top 3 here are-
1) Ty Smith, 2) Jesperi Kotkaniemi, 3) Joel Farabee

I feel like familiarity and a lack of eye-popping skills has some a bit lower on Ty Smith than they should be, he's got good wheels, is smart, and moves the puck very well, a fundamental building block we need on this team just solid capable puck movement from the back end. Ty Smith's underlying numbers are really solid, he's an Alberta kid, and already has chemistry with Yamamoto, don't want to overthink things or get too cute, we passed on McDavid's teammates in Dermott and Debrincat and both are looking pretty solid so far. I'm not sure Smith is going to end up the BPA at our pick, but he feels like a solid safe pick and fits the template for the style of team we apparently want to be now that Chia isn't just going the big and tough direction.

Jesperi Kotkaniemi looks quite skilled and I like that his shot volume is relatively high, but I have to nick him a bit just cause his NHL equivalency numbers aren't great (though they do closely mirror Rantanen's who has obviously turned out well), a good chance he's the best available option here and could have a bit of homerun potential.

Farabee just seems to have a knack for finding ways to get a bit of seperation on guys and seems to do well at beating goalies one on one when he finds that space, I don't sense him having huge upside, but seems like a guy who'll get a respectable amount of points just cause he knows what his assets are and how to utilize them and can still be counted to help defensively as well.

It's funny, I was actually thinking the complete opposite regarding Smith. If he wasn't an Alberta kid playing in the WHL on the same team as Yamamoto would people be as high on him as they are here?

10 seems a tad high based on the majority of the draft rankings:

Ty Smith

And McKenzie's scouting survey had him at 13.

I haven't seen any of these guys play live so I'm just going on what I read here and online. But sometimes I think Smith might get a tad overrated here because some of us have seen a lot more of him than other guys ranked around him.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Any chance Evan Bouchard falls to 10 or perhaps the Oilers trade up? Right shot d-man, looks like a decent puck mover, pretty good shot.

Reactions: MisterD

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $5,220.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 1