Who do you consider Cup favorites now?

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
The only chance the Isles have is Carolina taking Washington deep to 6 or 7 and or the Caps tiring out from having played 102 games just a year ago. There's a tendency for cup winners to run out of steam regardless the next postseason but tiring them out in round 1 is a good start.

A pushback from Carolina would certainly be helpful to the Isles.

Washington better at every position lol

Better at the coach position?

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
Washington are the most impressive team I've seen over a single period but hey haven't been able to do that for 3 periods in a row.

Hunn

Feb 23, 2017
I have mixed feelings about Tampa getting embarrassed like this.
  1. Positive: It takes some attention away from our embarrassment.
  2. Negative: One of the favorites to beat Washington is likely out.
Almost exactly my thoughts (and I'm a NYI fan) –
  1. Positive: It allows the Isles to continue to fly under the radar.
  2. Negative: One of the favorites to beat Boston is likely out.
Boston is 1 of only 2 teams the Isles had absolutely no answer to during the season, the other one is Calgary.

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
Assuming the Pens and Bolts get eliminated, in the east I'd rank 'em:

1. Caps
2. Jackets
3. Bruins
4. Islanders
5. Leafs
6. Hurricanes

Edgy

Nov 30, 2009
If you want to say that people reacting to the most recent 82-game regular season sample (prior to the start of the playoffs) are just as susceptible to recency bias as those reacting to the most recent three-game postseason sample (now), then nothing I can say will probably convince you to believe otherwise.

I'd recommend studying up on the actual concept, however. We could use more behavioral economics around here.

Although I'm not sure that people picking the Penguins as the Cup favorite (per your comment above) were doing so based upon the recent regular season performance. What leads you to believe that they were?
My argument is the premise of applying recency bias to discredit predictions of CBJ being cup favorites is flawed. If predicting TB was a favorite to win the cup because of their regular season record then by default beating them makes you the next favorite. Either both assumptions are false or both are true, you can't judge arguments using different standards.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
If the Caps still had Kempny I think they'd make it to the ECF without seeing a Game Seven. They're better than they were last year as a team but the loss of Kempny is huge.

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
If predicting TB was a favorite to win the cup because of their regular season record then by default beating them makes you the next favorite.

What? No. In no universe is this statement true.

If you're even bringing this to the discussion as an option, then you need to go back and read the entire body of work until you've changed your opinion.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I won't give up on them that easy. Only way I give up on them is if they lose to Columbus tomorrow, then Columbus may make a case for Toronto/Boston in round two.

But Isles are my plan B right now in the East.

Winnipeg from the west, if not them then St. Louis or Calgary. Just as long as it's not the rigged Vegas Golden Knights.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad