Proposal: Who do we move Morgan Rielly for?

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
:laugh: Our PP was horrific almost all season.

It was actually exceptionally good (40+% in January + February) for as long as it was horrific (sub 10% in March and April). He's been the PP QB on a PP that has been top 3-5 for years.

Sandin has only been PP QB on a PP that has been sub 10%, so if anything, your argument is just proving that Sandin is an incapable PP QB altogether.

barilko05

NHL FAN
Jan 28, 2011
The real issue isn't the speed of Rielly's shot. I think we can all agree it's a muffin. It's that he rarely shoots anyway, and when he does, it never gets through. Some guys just have a knack for that. Remember Cody Franson? A slug, mediocre defensively and hardly a howitzer from the point. But his shots always seemed to find a way to the net, which left lots of juicy rebounds for Phil and JVR to pounce on. The Leaf's PP setup of one guy on the point doesn't need an Al Macinnis bomb threat. It needs a guy who can thread the needle on a consistent basis. Right now, Mo just ain't that guy. Does Sandin have that flair? Time will tell.

demonslayer

Apr 14, 2021
Toronto
It was actually exceptionally good (40+% in January + February) for as long as it was horrific (sub 10% in March and April). He's been the PP QB on a PP that has been top 3-5 for years.

Sandin has only been PP QB on a PP that has been sub 10%, so if anything, your argument is just proving that Sandin is an incapable PP QB altogether.
I think stonehands1990 was right do you even watch the games?

Stonehands1990

Apr 2, 2021
He is out there with either Tavares' line or Matthews' line the vast majority of the game. That means he is usually going up against the top unit or a second unit which is practically as good as the top unit. Sandin is rarely, if ever, purposefully going out against those units.
Muzzin & Holl take the top lines, Rielly & Brodie takes 2nd lines. Most teams 2nd lines aren’t as good as their 1st. The Leafs having Nylander & Tavares on the 2nd line is an anomaly.
Also Tavares & Nylander usually play sheltered offensive minutes so that defeats your point

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
His prime was 2 years ago. The most realistic path for him, as a player extremely dependant on his athletic abilities rather than smarts, is 2-3 years of solid play and then decline.

I am not sure he doesn't have a couple of peak seasons left but I think that is likely to be high 50s rather than 70pts. He is a fantastic skater so the athletic ability is likely to hang around a while.

But, he won't be be looking at less than 7 years and will be expecting some NM protection if he takes a remotely club friendly AAV so re-signing him keeps him around until age 35-36. If you think Sandin is for real then he would replace Muzzin in the top 4 which is a little different look, and you move Muzz out to help accommodate Rielly's new deal. Now the Rielly deal will overlap with the resigning of the big 3 so they will have just a couple years of breathing room from the flat cap and then they are back into the vise.

If the Leafs have a run to the finals they probably keep the band together and Rielly will not be moved. I am not sure just getting out of the North has that effect. They have done a great job of stretching the money to fill in the gaps but the Hyman deal will put more pressure on them and they only have Campbell cheap for one more year so they will need a few million more for goaltending. I don't think they can afford to keep Rielly but how precious is he to KD?

I would move Rielly for the best group of assets I could get from another club with a goal to cut salary and maybe look at bringing in Giordano with salary retention by either the Flames or the Kraken depending who owns him after the X draft. If they win the Cup or at least make it 6 games into the final I would probably find a way to keep him and then things don't hit the fan until they need to resign Campbell. He has looked solid this playoff but the Habs aren't last years Bruins and you can only spend so much to keep a group together that hasn't won anything.

Reactions: LeafsRus

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Really? Sandin replacing Mo seems like the most realistic scenario. I think Sandin has all of the tools to be a #1.

edit: always been a Mo supporter.

Barring taking huge leaps and bounds in a short period of time, he won't be a #1 by the time we'd need to replace Rielly (after next year).

His timeline is more in line with replacing Muzzin and then perhaps replacing Rielly once Rielly hits his mid-30's and Sandin is in his prime.

So I guess the more accurate claim would be that he is not replacing Rielly for a while.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Yeah we are it's the difference between going deep to f***ing it all up.

Trading Rielly and thrusting an unproven Sandin into minutes he's never played at this level is asking for trouble. This team is inside a contention window, they need more evidence Sandin can fill the role than what they have, because if they move Rielly, and Sandin struggles playing big minutes and a key role, it could jeopardize the entire program.

If Rielly prices himself out of Toronto, we are having a different discussion, but there's no evidence yet that will happen

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
If Rielly prices himself out of Toronto, we are having a different discussion, but there's no evidence yet that will happen

Even if it does, that doesn't mean Sandin suddenly becomes option #1 to replace him. There are a ton of UFA's in Rielly's crop that are high quality. Not enough money to go around for all of them to get huge pay days, so one will make sense for our budget.

Once

Stop ******* crying bro
Jul 16, 2010
Barring taking huge leaps and bounds in a short period of time, he won't be a #1 by the time we'd need to replace Rielly (after next year).

His timeline is more in line with replacing Muzzin and then perhaps replacing Rielly once Rielly hits his mid-30's and Sandin is in his prime.

So I guess the more accurate claim would be that he is not replacing Rielly for a while.

I came to that realization after posting - he likely replaces Muzzin instead. I just hope Rielly takes a sweetheart deal.

Stonehands1990

Apr 2, 2021

Hclass47

Apr 28, 2018
He's just entering his prime and if anything this past season made him MORE affordable. The Leafs certainly can keep him.

A conversation has to be had, if he wants to stay expect him to take a bit of a discount (compared to the open market - due to both cap reasons and this past season’s performance) with the understanding he may not be on the first pp unit. If he can accept that resign him. If not move him for assets. Preferably a package including a first and top offensive d prospect

Reactions: The Apologist

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
A conversation has to be had, if he wants to stay expect him to take a bit of a discount (compared to the open market - due to both cap reasons and this past season’s performance) with the understanding he may not be on the first pp unit. If he can accept that resign him. If not move him for assets. Preferably a package including a first and top offensive d prospect
I don't disagree you need to feel out his position. I do disagree that we would get anything at all that would help is during our current window. Not sure who your think fills Riellys minutes either.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
I came to that realization after posting - he likely replaces Muzzin instead. I just hope Rielly takes a sweetheart deal.

Even if he takes market, he is likely not getting more than 6.5 mill on a 7 year deal (which is what Krug and Faulk received by St. Louis) from anyone.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad