Proposal: Who do we move Morgan Rielly for?

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
Mo has been so damn good these 1st 2 gms.

Elite.

Yep, as he is every year in the playoffs.

I'm so confused why people continue to doubt him and want him traded. His skating ability and transition play are huge and always stand out in the tighter checking playoffs where other dmen who are just decent transitionally start to struggle under more pressure.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
Yep, as he is every year in the playoffs.

I'm so confused why people continue to doubt him and want him traded. His skating ability and transition play are huge and always stand out in the tighter checking playoffs where other dmen who are just decent transitionally start to struggle under more pressure.

At this point, it's less about him and more about affordability.

Good player, but the leafs can't keep him.

Do the Duchene deal and sell him to a team that thinks it's a contender but in reality is just delusional about their status.

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell

Do the Duchene deal and sell him to a team that thinks it's a contender but in reality is just delusional about their status.
He's just entering his prime and if anything this past season made him MORE affordable. The Leafs certainly can keep him.

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline

Different opinion, but I would say the Leafs can't afford to lose him. Sandin and Liljegren both have good potential, but we need to contend now (particularly the next 4 years) and Rielly is a huge part of our d-core.

We aren't at the same place that colorado was when they traded Duchene.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
He's just entering his prime and if anything this past season made him MORE affordable. The Leafs certainly can keep him.

His prime was 2 years ago. The most realistic path for him, as a player extremely dependant on his athletic abilities rather than smarts, is 2-3 years of solid play and then decline.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
Different opinion, but I would say the Leafs can't afford to lose him. Sandin and Liljegren both have good potential, but we need to contend now (particularly the next 4 years) and Rielly is a huge part of our d-core.

We aren't at the same place that colorado was when they traded Duchene.

As a purely offensive d-man, Rielly is a luxury.

Reactions: LeafsRus

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
I never thought I'd see the day where a home grown Leaf draft pick is this underrated. It usually goes the other way. One thing I'll say negative about Rielly, I think he was coasting through the regular season. This is the guy who was a Norris contender a few years ago playing in these playoffs.

Reactions: Jojalu

demonslayer

Apr 14, 2021
Toronto
You're upset about him lacking the least important ability/skill for a defenseman.

His transition game, skating ability, and offensive prowess are much more important and he excels at that.
Our PP has been just as embarrassing as his shot as soon as Sandin stepped in the story has begun to change real quick in that regard. You can't pay him top dollar when he cant play on the top PP. Not Being able to score on the PP is a massive liability in the playoffs.

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
Our PP has been just as embarrassing as his shot as soon as Sandin stepped in the story has begun to change real quick in that regard. You can't pay him top dollar when he cant play on the top PP. Not Being able to score on the PP is a massive liability in the playoffs.

I'm a huge fan of Sandin (and our other young dman Liljegren). However, I strongly disagree that our PP changed as soon as Sandin joined it.

Rielly and Sandin have both been instructed to do the same thing on the powerplay and distribute the puck which they both do well.

Sandin does have a better shot and I think another option/personnal change helps a stagnant powerplay, but they both play their PP QB positions extremely similarly (as expected given the other PP options and the likely strategy to get the puck to Matthews or Marner).

Its not like Sandin moving to the top unit strongly improved our PP. It has still struggled a lot other than our last game.

demonslayer

Apr 14, 2021
Toronto
I'm a huge fan of Sandin (and our other young dman Liljegren). However, I strongly disagree that our PP changed as soon as Sandin joined it.

Rielly and Sandin have both been instructed to do the same thing on the powerplay and distribute the puck which they both do well.

Sandin does have a better shot and I think another option/personnal change helps a stagnant powerplay, but they both play their PP QB positions extremely similarly (as expected given the other PP options and the likely strategy to get the puck to Matthews or Marner).

Its not like Sandin moving to the top unit strongly improved our PP. It has still struggled a lot other than our last game.
Better shot? That's a massive understatement Rielly doesn't have a shot at all, Sandin has a bloody rocket on him and adds a massive piece to our PP another threat that teams need to look at to defend. With Rielly on the PP teams just need to glue themselves on to Matthews Marner as Rielly is a non threat. With Sandin they are sprawling from deep transition to high transitions defensively opening lanes for everyone.

Reactions: DANTHEMAN1967

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Unless he forgoes free agency to re-sign with that new team as a condition of the trade, whatever assets he returns aren't all that likely to help the Leafs next season.

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell

Well said. I think someone is letting recency bias cloud their judgement just a little.

Rielly is consistently one of the better PP defensemen in the league.

Add in the other aspects of his game and he is clearly someone you try to sign if you can.

demonslayer

Apr 14, 2021
Toronto
Unless he forgoes free agency to re-sign with that new team as a condition of the trade, whatever assets he returns aren't all that likely to help the Leafs next season.
That's the point of this thread if we move him how do we make the team better.

Last edited:

Dr.Funk

Jul 2, 2004
E2CB9eLWYAER3Oc

Reactions: jiggy35

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad