Speculation: Who do the Habs Pick, at the 2018 Draft??

Who do you Take #4 Overall?

• Total voters

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
We have more chance to get any pick that the 4th one? That's crazy considering that it's where the Habs should normally be picking up.

On another story...

That Brady Tkachuk kid has so many different views on him on this board. Some like him a lot and almost say he's elite while some say that he isn't much more than a future 3rd line center. Who should I believe? :dunno:

I like Tkachuk but i would definitely not draft him over Dahlin, Svechnikov or Zadina. Also a dman able to play on the left side is a way higher need than a winger and i don't think Tkachuk rank any higher than the best dmen available.

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
I wouldn't bet on them drafting Zadina. I think they go D here

They need to score. I agree they could use one of the top D men but they have two top 4 d prospects and weber and petry for the forseeable future. What they need is talent up front, desperately.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
A site we link up every year that features multiple rankings: 2018 NHL Draft Rankings

In the last 8 prospect rankings they quote, the top 3 spots are held by Dahlin, Svechnikov and Zadina (with the latter two not necessarily in this order in some of them). However, their last ranking is dated March 7th, there must have been something more recent.

SakuKoivu11

Jun 29, 2017
No.

Just like in 2016, we have opposite views.

Boqvist and Hughes will both be better than Dobson. Look this post up in 4 years. Not saying Dobson will be a dud, but he won't be what you're expecting.

Can't believe you were so low on Serge, yet so high on Dobson.

The guy with the skillset and vision has more chances to be more complete with time. A lot harder to teach offense than D.

Dobson reminds me too much of Jeff Petry.

Max2

Nov 17, 2013
To avoid any draft lottery disappointment,I am going in believing we will draft 7th overall.Anything more will be gravy.So who do we take at 7th? When the bald guy uncovers that 7th pick card,I'm seeing the hab's logo staring back at me.

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

KFlint

Sep 27, 2010
Wahlstrom at 4, but unlikely we pick at 4 so Boqvist at 5 if Wahlstrom is taken before us.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
They need to score. I agree they could use one of the top D men but they have two top 4 d prospects and weber and petry for the forseeable future. What they need is talent up front, desperately.

What we really need is defencemen who can get our forwards the puck so that they can attack with speed/control.

That said, I'm always a little hesitant drafting D with top picks as they are a lot harder to project. So personally I would go with Walhstrom and try and trade one of our forwards for a good puck moving defenceman.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Agreed. If there was a center projected to go in the top 6, then I'd say it might be worth it to reach a few spots, but this isn't the case. Wahlstrom will likely be a winger.

A gifted PMD defenseman will contribute as much to team offence as a winger will. Might was well just pick the best player.

I went with Boqvist. Right shot, puck mover, good shot, good skater, late birthday.

Admittedly I am not well versed in this years draft picks, so I'm just going with the conensus around here, this seems like a great pick for us.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
It has to be between Hughes and Wahlstrom.
Those would be my choices. Hughes has great skating ability, hockey IQ, and puck handling. Wahlstrom would be Pacioretty's replacement.

I have this fear they will pick Tkachuk, though, who is the one highly ranked player I do not want to see them take.

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
Did they change the rules? It thought you could only move down one spot. In what instances would we lose 2 spots?

NobleSix

High Tech Low-Life.
Apr 20, 2013
CyberSpace
www.ilovebees.co
I'd be pretty damn mad if our high pick turns out to be Petry 2.0...

More like Pietrangelo.

I wouldn't be angry about taking Dobson, but I'd personally like one of the more skilled guys If it were up to me.

Did they change the rules? It thought you could only move down one spot. In what instances would we lose 2 spots?

If one team ranked after us moves into the top 3, we move back 1 spot. If 2 teams ranked after us move into the top 3, we move back 2 spots. If 3 teams ranked after us move into the top 3, we move back 3 spots.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
If one team ranked after us moves into the top 3, we move back 1 spot. If 2 teams ranked after us move into the top 3, we move back 2 spots. If 3 teams ranked after us move into the top 3, we move back 3 spots.

The odds are low though.

We will more than likely draft in the top 3, 5th or 6th.

Habricot

Oct 22, 2017
Not sure what the habs will do if they get pick number 4, I have a feeling they would try and land one of the Islanders pick (11-12) range (if they dont win the lottery) and we can manage to find some common ground with them.

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
The saddest thing about the habs situation right now is that just a few years ago we thought we were set on defense and should be aiming for centers and offense since our offense was really lacking and we had Subban and Sergachev + Markov and Petry. Now our offense is still lacking as much if not more, but Bergevin managed to put the team in a situation where our defense is lacking too, even more so than our offense.

And he's still there next year.
Yeah, after 2016 we were simply a piece or two away, but now just two years later this team is a complete mess and needs to be overhauled top to bottom.

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

PsychoticHab

May 26, 2012
Ottawa
Personally, if the Habs have the 4th pick I would like them to go with either Hughes or Wahlstrom depending if they want a forward or defenseman in the 1st Round.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
No.

Just like in 2016, we have opposite views.

Boqvist and Hughes will both be better than Dobson. Look this post up in 4 years. Not saying Dobson will be a dud, but he won't be what you're expecting.

Can't believe you were so low on Serge, yet so high on Dobson.

The guy with the skillset and vision has more chances to be more complete with time. A lot harder to teach offense than D.

I wasnt "low" on Sergachev, i just said he has a lot of defensive holes but he's an offensive wizard. He's lived up to the billing so far.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
This is the 3rd year with the current rules.

Instead of the lottery being for the top pick, its for the top 3 picks, and any non-playoff team can win.

The end result is we can move down as many as 3 spots.

You can see the odds of us drafting at each position here.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad