Speculation: Who’d you rather: Devils or Hurricanes?

Who’d you rather play?

• New Jersey Devils

• Carolina Hurricanes

Results are only viewable after voting.

Pawnee Rangers

Jan 10, 2019
If they play well in the neutral zone and get pucks deep they will win the series. It’s so damn cliche, but it works.

Paulie Walnutz

Make HF Great Again
Oct 1, 2008
If the Rangers play the Devils the most important thing they have to do is take away the neutral zone to eliminate the Devils speed game. You have to slow them down and play physical on them. It can’t be a pond hockey series where it’s back and forth down both ends of the ice. I don’t know if Gallant will try that, I have a feeling he’s going to try to go toe to toe with them instead of adjusting the style of play.

SeanAveryTheGreatOne

Jul 4, 2021
Aside from 2008 when we went 7-0-1 against the Devils (only losing the last game of the season against them because winning would have meant home ice, and we always lose that), I have never felt confident getting matched up against them. They and the Islanders play every game against the Rangers like it's SCF Game 7.

Unless the GOAT (my namesake) unretires, I'd take pretty much any team other than Boston over them.

Definitely Carolina. The Rangers have matched up better against them this season. The Devils have been on fire, and I feel like they're going to turn it up come playoff time. The Canes have been stumbling to the finish line.

Also, for purely selfish reasons, I want Carolina because I live in SC, and dream of an opportunity to see a Rangers playoff game up in Raleigh.
Where were you last year, brother?

• Haha
Reactions: Barzaltrick

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Well, we will find out tonight.

My prediction

Florida tries to send a message since they could play the Canes and beat them at home, where they have played well. They will also want to avoid playing the B's at any cost and they need to fight for ROW to earn that

Washington could potentially fall back 4 spots in the lotto if they get a win tonight, they mail it in against a Devils team looking to win the division.

Rangers Canes
Devils Cats

If the Canes get 1 point and the Devils win they hold the tiebreaker, so the result would be the same

FLA 4 CAR 3 OT
NJD 4 WSH 1

Last edited:

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Well, we will find out tonight.

My prediction

Florida tries to send a message since they could play the Canes and beat them at home, where they have played well.

Washington could potentially fall back 4 spots in the lotto if they get a win tonight, they mail it in against a Devils team looking to win the division.

Rangers Canes
Devils Cats

It’s funny our game is likely going to lack energy. Since both teams are locked. But that Florida game should be very interesting, same with the Devils. Both are Fighting for position. Devils have the tie breaker.

Reactions: HockeyBasedNYC

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
It’s funny our game is likely going to lack energy. Since both teams are locked. But that Florida game should be very interesting, same with the Devils. Both are Fighting for position. Devils have the tie breaker.
I realized the Isles are sitting in the first wildcard spot now, that Panthers matchup is even more important to them now. No one want to face the Bruins and theyll need 2 points to avoid that.

I actually think the Isles could make that a series. I think theyll ultimately lose, but they are a better suited team to make life difficult for Boston. Could see them stretch it to 6 or 7, but could also see them get swept, but either way the isles will get their pound of flesh.

Last edited:
Reactions: Leonardo87

bhamill

Apr 16, 2012
There’s never a guarantee you’re going to win a single round. I want the Devils simply because I think it will be a great series. I agree Carrolina is probably an EASIER series, but I think we SHOULD win either and I want to be entertained! Plus it’s sweet to beat an actual rival.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
Beating the Devils would be super fun, but consider the following:

We are 3-1 against the Hurricanes. We are 1-2-1 against the Devils (essentially 1-3).

The Hurricanes probably can handle the Panthers (1-1 during regular season but I like that matchup for Carolina). The Devils may very well lose a series to the Panthers (1-2 vs Panthers in regular season).

Based on the regular season and how we've seen the teams play each other, we have a better shot of both moving on AND drawing an easier second round opponent if the Devils get the top seed in the metro.

Easier for us to beat Carolina than NJD. Easier for the Panthers to beat NJD than Carolina.

We can then beat the Panthers in round 2.

That's our best path to the conference finals, where hopefully someone has taken out the Bruins and we can get Lightning or Leafs.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Are they going to release the schedule after tonights games? It will be locked in then. Tomorrows games have no bearing on anything in the East.

Really hoping game 3 is on Sat night so I don't need to take off work if it's Friday. Tues - Thur - Sat - Monday, please.

And absolutely NO afternoon games.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
absolutely want nothing to do with losing a series to the Devils. I'd rather get facef***ed by a cactus than deal with their fans in the event of a loss, besides the fact that we don't matchup well with them.

I not only think we have a better chance against CAR. but i'd just much rather lose to them.

Reactions: TheDirtyH

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Are they going to release the schedule after tonights games? It will be locked in then. Tomorrows games have no bearing on anything in the East.

Really hoping game 3 is on Sat night so I don't need to take off work if it's Friday. Tues - Thur - Sat - Monday, please.

Afternoon Playoff games SUCK.

Pretty sure there were a few of those against Ottawa in that shitty ass series in 17

Reactions: The Crypto Guy

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Afternoon Playoff games SUCK.

Pretty sure there were a few of those against Ottawa in that shitty ass series in 17
Yup, they were brutal. And who wants to sit around the rest of the day in a bad mood after a playoff loss? At night at least I can just go to sleep :laugh:

Do you want ants

Thats how u get ants
Jul 2, 2015

Knicks play game 3 on Friday and 4 on Sunday at home. Games 3/4 for us should be Saturday/Monday like you’re hoping for.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Knicks play game 3 on Friday and 4 on Sunday at home. Games 3/4 for us should be Saturday/Monday like you’re hoping for.
Oh nice! Thanks!

edit - ugh just saw Knicks are playing at 1pm on sunday, I hope they don't make the Rangers game an afternoon game so they have more time between games to clean but I can easily see them making it early now :facepalm:

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York

I’m going to post a series thread later tonight and will hopefully have the schedule. I expect it to be announced as soon as we know our opponent.

Reactions: The Crypto Guy

bhamill

Apr 16, 2012
Beating the Devils would be super fun, but consider the following:

We are 3-1 against the Hurricanes. We are 1-2-1 against the Devils (essentially 1-3).

The Hurricanes probably can handle the Panthers (1-1 during regular season but I like that matchup for Carolina). The Devils may very well lose a series to the Panthers (1-2 vs Panthers in regular season).

Based on the regular season and how we've seen the teams play each other, we have a better shot of both moving on AND drawing an easier second round opponent if the Devils get the top seed in the metro.

Easier for us to beat Carolina than NJD. Easier for the Panthers to beat NJD than Carolina.

We can then beat the Panthers in round 2.

That's our best path to the conference finals, where hopefully someone has taken out the Bruins and we can get Lightning or Leafs.
I get what you are saying, and you aren't wrong, really. That may be an EASIER path. No offense, but f*** that. Hahaha. I want to beat the Devils, I want to beat the Bruins. And we CAN. I don't want to hear anyone trying to asterisk a great run by saying other teams did the heavy lifting for us.
Also, regular season is irrelevant. Didn't Carolina STOMP us in the regular season last year? We still sent them home.
We have a playoff built team. Do the Devils? I really don't think so. I want to find out.
In any case, if I had a bunch of money on the NYR to win it all, if that was my total focus, I'd be standing with you 100%. But that's not the case. I have a job, I've got enough money for the time being: I WANT TO BE ENTERTAINED. I want hard fought series wins. I don't want the easy path just for the sake of it being easier.

Last edited:

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
So Billy Joel has a concert on Saturday night, the date where the Rangers should have their first home games since the Knicks are at home the day before and after. Please tell me this guy will get his concert moved and he doesn't get Priority. If he does then we may see the Knicks play at 1(already scheduled) and the Rangers at 7 on sunday for game 3 with nice garbage ice.

bogans

Mar 24, 2007
Philly
I think the narrative lines up much better against a Devils team who is still young and looking to get (mostly) their first experience in the NHL playoffs. Then the narrative against a team in Carolina who may be better in the regular season but keeps getting knocked out by the Rangers in the second round. I like how that lines up, and am honestly more scared of the Devils in the second round if they were to get past than I would be of the Canes.

That's the ultimate deciding factor for me, if we lose in the first round, Gallant is done here, they cannot let that happen. Assuming they won't let it...who am I more afraid of in the second round, and that is definitely the Devils if they just showed that the kids are playoff ready in the first round.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
I get what you are saying, and you aren't wrong, really. That may be an EASIER path. No offense, but f*** that. Hahaha. I want to beat the Devils, I want to beat the Bruins. And we CAN. I don't want to hear anyone trying to asterisk a great run by saying other teams did the heavy lifting for us.
Also, regular season is irrelevant. Didn't Carolina STOMP us in the regular season last year? We still sent them home.
We have a playoff built team. Do the Devils? I really don't think so. I want to find out.
In any case, if I had a bunch of money on the NYR to win it all, if that was my total focus, I'd be standing with you 100%. But that's not the case. I have a job, I've got enough money for the time being: I WANT TO BE ENTERTAINED. I want hard fought series wins. I don't want the easy path just for the sake of it being easier.

Respectfully I disagree.

I want to win a Cup. No one will asterisk it just cause we don't have to play Boston. Many, many times, the eventual winners did not have to go through either conference's #1 seed.

Sometimes winning the Cup does involve an element of not drawing your worst matchup. Boston is ours, and NJD is probably our second worst in the east. I'd prefer not to face either.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad