Speculation: Who’d you rather: Devils or Hurricanes?

Who’d you rather play?

• New Jersey Devils

• Carolina Hurricanes

Results are only viewable after voting.

jerseyjinx94

I jinx players.
Jan 11, 2012
Miami, FL
I personally think Florida beats Carolina tomorrow and NJ beats Washington so I think we’re getting Carolina. I also think there’s a decent chance Florida beats New Jersey in a 7 game series.

I know it’s a cliche, but it doesn’t really matter who the Rangers play. I don’t really prefer either team, they’re both very good. It’s wild that we’re like 5th in the league overall and have to open up on the road against one of the top 4 teams. Crazy

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
I’m conflicted between both.

On one hand, if we play the Devils we are basically getting every game as a home game. They also lack experience in the playoffs. But I fully expect them to start game 1 on fire and I don't want Igor getting lit up in game 1.

With the Canes, we have been playing them better during the season but they will have something to prove since we knocked them out last year. And they come with plenty of experience.

I guess push come to shove, i'd rather have the devils.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Part of me REALLY wants to see NJ get smacked around by either the Panthers or NYI. Those teams will not hesitate to push them around.

I'd pick them if I were confident that we'd actually try to play them tough. Seems like the Rangers only do that against teams that decide they want to try to play that way or the Penguins.

TriFF51

USA Hockey
Aug 21, 2009
New York
I think we'd have an easier time against the Canes but those games can be terribly boring. For pure entertainment value give me the Devils.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Part of me REALLY wants to see NJ get smacked around by either the Panthers or NYI. Those teams will not hesitate to push them around.

I'd pick them if I were confident that we'd actually try to play them tough. Seems like the Rangers only do that against teams that decide they want to try to play that way or the Penguins.
The last time we played the Devils, there was a scrum every whistle, and we lost anyway.

Reactions: mas0764

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
This is something I've always wondered with the Devils and is where I think we've gone wrong against them this year. Do we need to neutralize their speed or should we open it up and try to essentially make the series into a matchup of Igor vs. Vanecek?
I don't think so. If the Rangers decide to make it a track meet, they'll lose to NJ. 50/50 if Carolina.

Reactions: will1066

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
The last time we played the Devils, there was a scrum every whistle, and we lost anyway.

Not what I'm talking about. The post whistle stuff is mostly nonsense and gets mis-categorized as toughness.

Actually throwing a body on people, even if it has to be a tad late and toe-ing the line is what I'm talking about. Look at the way this team has played against the likes of Tampa/Pitt/Calgary - Thats what I'd be looking for.

Florida tossed them around pretty bad this year and the Isles completely stole their lunch the last time they played. There isn't direct carry over from RS to PS, but I know that those teams would continue to try to play them that way and quite honestly, it's the BEST way to neutralize a team like that because they won't be able to handle it.

Rangers are at their best when they do to0, but they don't feel the need to do it all the time.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Not what I'm talking about. The post whistle stuff is mostly nonsense and gets mis-categorized as toughness.

Actually throwing a body on people, even if it has to be a tad late and toe-ing the line is what I'm talking about. Look at the way this team has played against the likes of Tampa/Pitt/Calgary - Thats what I'd be looking for.

Florida tossed them around pretty bad this year and the Isles completely stole their lunch the last time they played. There isn't direct carry over from RS to PS, but I know that those teams would continue to try to play them that way and quite honestly, it's the BEST way to neutralize a team like that because they won't be able to handle it.

Rangers are at their best when they do to0, but they don't feel the need to do it all the time.
You have to catch somebody to hit them.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
I don't really want to hear it from my NJD friends should we lose. So I'm voting Hurricanes on that alone.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
This is something I've always wondered with the Devils and is where I think we've gone wrong against them this year. Do we need to neutralize their speed or should we open it up and try to essentially make the series into a matchup of Igor vs. Vanecek?
You go with the former, 100% of the time. This isn't inline hockey. If your game-plan is going into a run and gun series, you're probably going home. Well, you're probably getting benched first.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
You don't have to catch anyone. Timing is Trouba's forte. Hitting on the forecheck and on the boards even if the puck is gone what is needed. They start shying away and rushing.

Our defense always backs up giving opposing forwards space. That lures them in to a sense of security... Jack Hughes expecting our defenders to be backing up, the bad garden ice has him fumble the puck... he looks down at the puck coming over the red line.... BLAP. Trouba Train Trou Trou

The crying on the main boards would be marvelous.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
You don't have to catch anyone. Timing is Trouba's forte. Hitting on the forecheck and on the boards even if the puck is gone what is needed. They start shying away and rushing.

Our defense always backs up giving opposing forwards space. That lures them in to a sense of security... Jack Hughes expecting our defenders to be backing up, the bad garden ice has him fumble the puck... he looks down at the puck coming over the red line.... BLAP. Trouba Train Trou Trou

The crying on the main boards would be marvelous.
Trouba has tried to line them up before and missed. He can't catch up with their top forwards.
isles are probably slower than the Rangers are.

They had no trouble.
The Islanders play slow and force the game to slow down enough for them to be effective.

The Rangers don't know they're slow and try to play fast.

That's why the Rangers only play in the mud with other teams that want to do that.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
It feels like bad juju to have a poll like this and really have a strong opinion one way or the other. Both the Devils and Hurricanes are really good teams. I just think we matchup better with Carolina. We really have a hard time matching up with the Devils' speed and as some point out, the playoffs are a different beast but that requires the team playing them to be able to slow them down and I'm extremely unconfident that we can slow the Devils down. They're just such a bad matchup for us with their elite rush offense and our almost worst in the league rush defense. We can make up for it against the average team but against a team as good on the rush as the Devils are, I'm not very confident.

I think we'll have to beat both the Devils and Carolina if we want to go deep this year but I think I'd rather see Florida or the Islanders take a stab at the Devils first and maybe after a round they're a little beaten up and that could change the matchup. We could also very easily lose to Carolina too so I honestly don't even like talking about this.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Carolina, but I think they are going to have to go through Jersey in round two anyways, so guess it depends if you think Florida or the Islanders can cause some trouble for NJ, or is it better getting NJ first if you are going to have to play them either way?

Glad it’s not Pitt getting the top WC, NJ or Carolina would have destroyed them.
That was my thinking and why I chose NJ. More exciting, given we hate them and they, us. Better for fans and the league.
Should we NOT play them, and they advance......now when we play them they would have a little taste as to what the PO's are all about.
Rather knock them out quickly and painfully.
Trust me, the Panthers are going to do damage.....unless they dont make it somehow. Panthers/Canes is a very good rivalry given the proximity and playing in same division for years. LGR's regardless of who we play.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida

You know damned well the PO's are a different animal and the Rangers do too. The Rangers will VERY aggressive and force their will on a very "speedy but light" Devils team. Gonna mess them up.

Do you want ants

Thats how u get ants
Jul 2, 2015
While I agree with this. That last game they peeled off or let up when they had multiple chances to hit their guys and finish checks. Not sure if it was self preservation or just a lack of hate like with the Pens and Tampa.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad