Speculation: Who’d you rather: Devils or Hurricanes?

Who’d you rather play?

• New Jersey Devils

• Carolina Hurricanes

Results are only viewable after voting.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Don't like that we are not able to contain NJ speed.

Don't like our chances of getting more than 1 win in a NJ series.

Perfer Carolina all day. They are a bit overrated and have really struggled since losing Svechnikov.

Their in ability to generate much offense and our ability to score against that defence and goaltending has me leaning for a Carolina series.

Let NJ play against Florida. That would be a nice series

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
I think it will end up being Carolina. Florida has all the reasons to play tough tomorrow, so long as the Islanders win their game tonight, in an effort to avoid Boston.

NJ is playing a Washington team that is all but done, is sitting guys out that don't need to play.

Carolina missing Svechnikov and Pacioretty, they are not designed to score goals. They're shooting at one of the worst rates seen recently. Does that mean they are due or does it mean that they suck at finishing? Since Svech went out, they've got the worst shooting percentage in the league, and that is across all situations (Worst at 5v5, 3rd worst on PP). So long as Shesterkin is himself, I don't see Carolina beating them.

When it comes to the Devils, their flaw is goaltending. Vanecek has a .900 SV% since the All Star break. I guess they could go to Blackwood if they need to, but he hasn't been much better. So the team is carrying their goalie to the finish line. The Rangers are one of the better finishing teams, so even if chances get limited, they can finish against a goalie like Vanecek.

Both teams generate the majority of shot chances, one doesn't finish well. I'll take that team first.

Let the Islanders/Panthers deal with the Devils and put a little wear and tear on them. Florida with Tkachuk play a more heavy game than year's past and the Islanders have to play that way. On top of that, both teams are 2-1 vs the Devils in the regular season.

NYRfan85

D'oh!
Jun 2, 2020
South Carolina
Definitely Carolina. The Rangers have matched up better against them this season. The Devils have been on fire, and I feel like they're going to turn it up come playoff time. The Canes have been stumbling to the finish line.

Also, for purely selfish reasons, I want Carolina because I live in SC, and dream of an opportunity to see a Rangers playoff game up in Raleigh.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
Definitely Carolina. The Rangers have matched up better against them this season. The Devils have been on fire, and I feel like they're going to turn it up come playoff time. The Canes have been stumbling to the finish line.

Also, for purely selfish reasons, I want Carolina because I live in SC, and dream of an opportunity to see a Rangers playoff game up in Raleigh.
We matched up great against Carolina in the regular season dominating them for years and sweeping the season series and then they swept us

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Crazy the amount of respect the Devils are getting after being in the basement last season.

But its earned, no doubt. They are a dynamic team. Its going to be intense and scary for both teams and their fanbases.

Either way its completely ridiculous that either of these matchups could potentially feature two top 5 NHL teams in the first round. That isnt good for the game imho.

Carolina or the Devils in the 3 spot should really be playing a team like the Jets, Lightning or Kraken

bhamill

Apr 16, 2012
Every team has less space in the playoffs. A team with elite speed is more equipped to deal with that.

They're going to be a lot tougher than people think they are.
I disagree with that. I'd say a team with elite speed that plays hard on the body and puck is well equipped. But NJ thrives on the wide open game. Even in the regular season when it occasionally got tight and they were getting hit it had an obvious adverse effect. That's ALL they are going to get from us if we play our game. I really don't think it will be very pretty for them. Of course this is all predicated on us playing the way we can, if we come out loose and sloppy we are going to allow them to play to their strengths, then yeah they are going to be tough. My point is if BOTH teams play their A games we should win this series. Our strengths negate theirs. We have a deeper lineup and superior goaltending as well.
BUT you never know till you play the games...

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
It's interesting because despite all the value and money we spent trying to improve our roster at the deadline, the biggest gap I see between NYR, NJD, and CAR is goaltending. That's likely to be our key advantage in round 1. The 'outfield' on paper between the 3 clubs is pretty close.

NYR have a little more top end talent than Carolina, and a slightly better defensive 6 than the Devils, but it's a lot closer.

bhamill

Apr 16, 2012
Why do people think this Ranger team is capable of playing a “heavy” game. We have Jimmy Vesey on our fourth line.

Who do we have that plays consistently heavy? Trouba. Goodrow. Motte likes to hit but he’s not a rugged, wear you down behind the net kind of player. He wears you down more with skating as I see it.

The kids can wear teams down on the cycle. They can also get exposed hardcore on the counter, especially when playing with the third D pair.

Trochek is a pest and I love him, but heavy? Don’t get me started on his line mates.

Kreider. I mean. He could be but he’s not. We know this.

So, outside of a big time open ice hit or two from the captain, how exactly are we going to be intimidating anyone?
Didn't say intimidate. It's not about being "scared" its about getting physically worn down. We are among the highest hitting teams and hit way more heavy than most teams. Not just Trouba. Remember Tro with Malkin? Did you notice Laf deck Okposo the other night? And yes Motte hits with speed, it's heavy and it grinds you down. He doesnt have to be Ryan Reaves. Kakko, Chytil? They are hard to deal with. Even Miller has started laying some people out this year and Schneider has certainly shown the knack for it. The TNT announcers were calling him "Baby Trouba" recently. And it will pick up for the playoffs. If you watched last game between these two teams when the NYR started playing tighter, and laying the body on, Devils players started pulling up to avoid it. In the second period of one game. Rushing plays, making subpar decisions. This isn't just conjecture, it's precedent. In a series it doesn't stop. They dont get to get hit for a game, have 3-5 games where they can do as they like then get a game where someone starts hitting them. It will be EVERY game. It BETTER be or else this team isn't going very far no matter WHO they play.

zlev

Dec 21, 2015
Canes 100%. we beat them last year when they were better and we were worse and we've handled them this season. the Devils are super dangerous and facing them fresh will be a huge struggle. we'll have to go through them one way or another so it might as well be after they've already played a series first.

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
But if we do want to play the hurricanes we need the islanders to win tonight..then the Panthers have to win tomorrow to get back to the seventh seed

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Went back and forth but I’d rather play the Devils.

Hurricanes will turn a 5 game series into a 7 game series and beat the Rangers up for the next round even if they win

Would rather play an unseasoned Devils team

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
Didn't say intimidate. It's not about being "scared" its about getting physically worn down. We are among the highest hitting teams and hit way more heavy than most teams. Not just Trouba. Remember Tro with Malkin? Did you notice Laf deck Okposo the other night? And yes Motte hits with speed, it's heavy and it grinds you down. He doesnt have to be Ryan Reaves. Kakko, Chytil? They are hard to deal with. Even Miller has started laying some people out this year and Schneider has certainly shown the knack for it. The TNT announcers were calling him "Baby Trouba" recently. And it will pick up for the playoffs. If you watched last game between these two teams when the NYR started playing tighter, and laying the body on, Devils players started pulling up to avoid it. In the second period of one game. Rushing plays, making subpar decisions. This isn't just conjecture, it's precedent. In a series it doesn't stop. They dont get to get hit for a game, have 3-5 games where they can do as they like then get a game where someone starts hitting them. It will be EVERY game. It BETTER be or else this team isn't going very far no matter WHO they play.
I dunno. I still view this team as an East west skill team that doesn’t really play a style that is hard on the other team. Perhaps my view is tainted by our worst offenders (Bread and Kane).

I do think that the guys you mentioned can wear teams down in different ways, but that doesn’t seem like something a young, hungry team like the Devils are particularly prone to.

I hope we get to find out.

Reactions: bhamill

mrmovies779

The Greatest Teacher,Failure is.
Feb 5, 2013
Doesn't matter who we play if we don't play our game for a full 60 minutes.My choice would be the Canes

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
The best player from last year Canes playoffs series, is now on our team.

Svech was a no show last playoffs. Same difference

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Devils...lets do it, nothing like beating the devils. Take away the middle of the ice, slow them down and pound on them in the corners, win.

We also need The kids to step up, they have gone cold again, no points in 3 games now. Too much inconsistency. Hopefully they play like they did last playoffs, but still need more.

We also have an excellent 4th line now which can pass for a 3rd line. That’s going to be critical in the playoffs, to be able to roll 4 lines.
The last two weeks essentially meant nothing, not gonna judge anyone on this team over that time frame

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
I dunno. I still view this team as an East west skill team that doesn’t really play a style that is hard on the other team. Perhaps my view is tainted by our worst offenders (Bread and Kane).

I do think that the guys you mentioned can wear teams down in different ways, but that doesn’t seem like something a young, hungry team like the Devils are particularly prone to.

I hope we get to find out.
I think people underestimate Trochek, Tarasenko, Kreider and especially Zib as a north south players, our bottom 6 is all north south. Basically all we're taking about is Kane and Panarin.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad