OT: Which threads blow you away? The great jersey debate

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
Another minority opinion here: I just don't like the looks of all red for any team. As far as aesthetics, I like the red jerseys with black pants (screw NJ imo). But if that really is a legitimate consideration, does anyone recall seeing a team set with red jerseys and gray pants?

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Another minority opinion here: I just don't like the looks of all red for any team. As far as aesthetics, I like the red jerseys with black pants (screw NJ imo). But if that really is a legitimate consideration, does anyone recall seeing a team set with red jerseys and gray pants?
I think there's a reason no one wears grey pants. They're extremely boring. Also yes, I don't want to look like the Devils either. And I don't want to wear all black either as that's just as boring as any combination you can think of.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Meh, if we are wearing our flag pattern, we don't look like the Devils anymore than the Caps look like the Habs or Panthers or the Pens look like the Bruins. When 2/3 of the league is base red, its pretty hard to not have jersey/pants colors overlapping.

Heck, when we wear all red, you could say we look a little too much like Calgary or Detroit.

But yeah... anyway, watching the game last night, we really just need to go back to the old style. At the very least go back to the old number font, but the flag pattern just needs to stay full time, even if its in a sublimated state like last year. Though, if we do go back to last year's stripe, then widen the flag stripe to the same width of the 25th Anniversary jersey (which also is the same width of the current aways). And then create a white version of them to wear on the road, ditching the wordmark jersey.

Last edited:
Reactions: AD Skinner

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
I love love love the flags, think they’re a fantastic design element that ties the colors and identity together. But watching the games I think I actually missed the number font the most. It’s much easier to read and really feels so much more right

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
But seriously.... give me either of these looks (red pants or black pants with paired helmet) for next year and I'll be happy.
2023IdealIdeas.png

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
Love these. Give me red pants all day, but the black wouldn’t be bad either. Either of these would rival the originals, definitely would prefer the full color flags though

Reactions: WreckingCrew

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Love these. Give me red pants all day, but the black wouldn’t be bad either. Either of these would rival the originals, definitely would prefer the full color flags though
In my opinion the red and black flags make it look a little too busy. But I could go for a compromise where the sublimation is darkened with maroon (like how we currently do it) to visually not make it bleed into the black stripes...

Top 4 are red/black flags, bottom 4 are red/maroon flags...

2023IdealIdeas2.png

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
I’m not advocating for this, but Dundon says he doesn’t like white jerseys, do you think he’d go with a jersey the color of last years reverse retros as a main away jersey?

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
I say we go with what isn't broken and occasionally bring in alternates like we did before the dark years. Kind of like what baseball teams did for years.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
I’m not advocating for this, but Dundon says he doesn’t like white jerseys, do you think he’d go with a jersey the color of last years reverse retros as a main away jersey?
I think he would if he could, but the league isn't remotely interested in allowing it.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
I think he would if he could, but the league isn't remotely interested in allowing it.
Oh god I would love the NHL to go straight to primary vs alternate uniforms with an emphasis to get as many color v color matchups as possible.

For us the primary would be the red, the alternate would be the black, and we could still toss in the Whalers ones as well

In reality, the NHL seems to be diving head first into the NBA style of having as many jerseys as possible, and now that they're partnered with Fanatics to handle jersey design as well as everything for online sales, I can only expect ventures like Reverse Retro and even the City jerseys like NBA and MLB to really ramp up after they are up and running.

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
Thinking a little more a lot of these series this year would look great color on color-

Devils rangers in red and blue, amazing
Bruins panthers in black and red, not as good but still would be cool
Leafs lighting, well not that one

Reactions: cptjeff

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Thinking a little more a lot of these series this year would look great color on color-

Devils rangers in red and blue, amazing
Bruins panthers in black and red, not as good but still would be cool
Leafs lighting, well not that one
And then think about situations where teams face each other where the colors are somewhat close (like Canes vs Devils or Bruins vs Pens).... You could see the powder blue Pens throwbacks more or the Whalers jerseys come out more often. Hell, even the Devils could go back to the Christmas motif

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
I think there's a reason no one wears grey pants. They're extremely boring. Also yes, I don't want to look like the Devils either. And I don't want to wear all black either as that's just as boring as any combination you can think of.
I agree that a lighter gray would be quite boring. But I'd be curious to see how a dark, maybe heathered gray would look, with a decent bit of red integrated, kind of like the big red flags the had on the side of the stadium series pants. Would also need some of the same dark gray in the jerseys to tie it all together. Couldn't find a pic of pants but something along the color scheme of this jersey.

1681923508083.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad