Which team has been the bigger disappointment? OTT/EDM

Which team has been the bigger let down?

• Ottawa

Votes: 139 49.8%
  • Edmonton

Votes: 140 50.2%

• Total voters

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
yes. its most obvious in their front office, behind their bench, and in net.

The subject was about the roster

I have been saying for years that Ottawa has had the worst trifecta (Owner/GM/Coach) in maybe NHL history

I tried to give Dorion and DJ Smith the benefit of the doubt at the beginning but had enough after 7 games in the 2020-21 season. I have been asking for changes ever since. For me it was not just getting some experience and add more talent

I really don't think they have a problem in nets, both goalies can be solid if the team in front of them plays proper NHL hockey

Sure it's just my opinion, someone who has been a goalie for decades or who has called Andrew Hammond a flash in the pan when he had a 20-1-2 record and a 0,941 SV% but that opinion is gaining ground, quotes from Jacques Martin himself and Dave Poulin too.

At playing defense? Yes they very clearly lack talent.

Claude Giroux has a solid track record of a top notch 2-way player and yet he has an on-ice 3.3 GA/60 at ES this season, which is ranked 307th out of 382 NHL forwards who played at least 200 ES minutes

It is not an individual problem.

Even as a whole, Sens have the 16th best xGA/60 at ES (and 23rd GA/60), the PK is historically bad though which brings the GA/GP higher. But it's not really those stats, it's systemic recurrent issues and bad habits that come back to gift wraps goals for the opposition. They literally play against themselves at times.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Buddy in our lifetimes the sens have made the playoffs more. Won more series and got further. I don't pretend they are world beaters. I can admit they've been dissapointing. But they have had way more success than Toronto has the last 20 years. Who has a way bigger competitive advantage. Go and beat your chest when they actually do something. Until that happens shut up. Given the hype and expectations one series win in nine tries with this group is pathetic.

So yes they should be in this poll. Cry somewhere else about it if you can't be realistic.

Both teams have 0 cups, so I don't think this is that great of an argument.

Reactions: nbwingsfan

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
I wouldn't really say they are battling for last place. Their p% gives them separation over the SJS of the league and not far off Buffalo. Looks more like they've been a little unlucky, since their GD is miles better than any of the teams around them
I was talking about the East, in which they are now last place.

GreeningOil

Yarpmeister
Jun 22, 2016
Saskatoon
Ottawa.. even “dominates” when they lose 5-2. The greatest bottom feeder team of all time I tell ya! It’s just the NHL is out to get them!

The vast majority of Wings fans thought at best they would be fighting for the last wildcard spot.

The vast majority of Sens fans saw themselves in a divisional spot and clear playoff team (yourself included), “much further along than Detroit”, “three #1D”, and “best top 9 in the NHL”.

How’s that o prediction working for you?
A team can absolutely dominate and lose by 3. It wasn’t too long ago that Ben Scrivens had a 59 save shutout. Oilers won 3-0 and got caved in every metric.

Similar situation to where Tampa was steamrolled by Edm this year and lost 7-4 due to horrible goaltending

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
A team can absolutely dominate and lose by 3. It wasn’t too long ago that Ben Scrivens had a 59 save shutout. Oilers won 3-0 and got caved in every metric.

Similar situation to where Tampa was steamrolled by Edm this year and lost 7-4 due to horrible goaltending
You’d have a point if that poster didn’t also think Ottawa is a vastly better hockey team than the Wings

BB79

Apr 30, 2011
I'm surprised this is so close. For as much firepower Edmonton has, starting the season the way they did has been just as shocking as how good Vancouver has been. Ottawa is underachieving but no one expects them to win the conference. Before the season started I would have given Edmonton great odds at winning the west. Can't say the same about Ottawa.

PuckG

Feb 26, 2015
FYI, The Oilers are virtually in the exact same position at this time of year that they’ve been in for the past two years (minus one extra point).

Their start sucked but the longer the season goes on, the more likely the vote is to be Ottawa.

Reactions: soothsayer

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
FYI, The Oilers are virtually in the exact same position at this time of year that they’ve been in for the past two years (minus one extra point).

Their start sucked but the longer the season goes on, the more likely the vote is to be Ottawa.
Really a remarkable stat. They are consistently mediocre until after christmas. As you say, just 1 point behind where they were this exact point in the past two season, and I would add they ended up 2nd in the West last year, with just 2 points behind Vegas for the top spot in the conference.

Reactions: PuckG

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad