Which team has been the bigger disappointment? OTT/EDM

Which team has been the bigger let down?

• Ottawa

Votes: 139 49.8%
  • Edmonton

Votes: 140 50.2%

• Total voters

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Consistent in the playoffs too.
1 playoff win in 9 tries. 1 playoff win in 20 years. Model of consistency indeed.

“Stutzle > Matthews
Tkachuk >> Nylander”

🎶~Summer days drifting away to~ah oh those winter nights :sarcasm:
For a team that consistently chokes and hasn't won a damn thing you guys sure do talk alot of trash. Being the smartest kid on the short bud doesn't make you intelligent.

Considering Ottawa had the worst ownership in the league and Toronto has the largest competive advantage I'd say a 3rd team needs to be added to this poll.

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
Easily edmonton , nobody took ottawa fans seriously with their best top 9 in the league posts. Bottom of the atlantic again like clockwork

While alot of people saw that edmonton was a flawed team they also acknowledged that McDrai can carry them to a playoff spot every year and even maybe win them a couple rounds

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Edmonton with all of the hype from the press and their fans as the Cup favourites. Then the Cup or Bust motto and all of the buzz from the pre season Captain’s skate.
Those of us who pointed out their weak D, depth and goaltending were derided as being jealous.
With many players having career years last year, McDrai having historic seasons and losing some good depth players while not making any significant additions, they were much more likely to take a step back than to suddenly become a cup favourite.

Last edited:

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
had higher expectations for the oilers but they are starting to turn it around. 7-3-0 in their last 10.

the sens dont seem to be making any progress. 3-7-0 in their last 10.
Pretty much this we keep hearing about the Sens and Sabers (I have been predicting their breakout like forever and it still hasn't happened) taking the next step and neither team has done it yet.

The Oilers had a rough patch but also showed how good they can be when running on all cylinders.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
When you consider everything that has happened in the off-season etc, which team is the most disappointing thus far?

To me it’s very close. Ottawa is the three-peat off season champions, but Edmonton has the two best powerplay performers of our time.

I’m going to go with Ottawa which after Edmontons start to the season, I didn’t think would be possible.
Yeah I’d have to agree with Ottawa.
A ton of Analysts seemed to have Edmonton as Cup contenders but their fans seemed to have their doubts. They also still have a decent chance of making the playoffs where anything can happen.

Ottawa fans as a whole basically universally saw themselves as a playoff team where many thought they had an elite team. The results have been cringeworthy

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
How is this poll so close?
Edmonton made it to round 2 and 3 in the last two years. Barely lost any important players in the off season and ended up with one of the ugliest starts ever.

Edmonton by a landslide.

It’s because leafs fans have hurt feelings about Matthews losing a poll.

1 playoff win in 9 tries. 1 playoff win in 20 years. Model of consistency indeed.

For a team that consistently chokes and hasn't won a damn thing you guys sure do talk alot of trash. Being the smartest kid on the short bud doesn't make you intelligent.

Considering Ottawa had the worst ownership in the league and Toronto has the largest competive advantage I'd say a 3rd team needs to be added to this poll.

We hear the same thing in December every year. Just wait for June when they change their tune and start proposing to trade away their stars.

Reactions: Sens9292

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
To me it’s because a bad start sucks but doesn’t define a season. The Oilers are back in the mix, playing better and will be fine by seasons end. Probably still end up with close to 100 points. They would have been a landslide a month ago, but the outlook is much better now. Meanwhile, a lot of people thought the young core of Ottawa might take a step this year and there’s been no sign of that happening. If we just look at current record then sure, it’s Edmonton, but I think based on trajectory from this point on, it’s Ottawa
Pretty much this.

At least Ottawa has…. Tyler Boucher to look forward to?

banks

Only got 5/16
Aug 29, 2019
Edmonton seems to be on the upswing. But not enough to say their struggles are over. They were supposed to be a major Cup threat. Where as Ottawa was supposed to be just a playoff team.

Edmonton is the bigger disappointment, based on their original expectations.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
The Oilers lead the NHL in xGF%. They're 24th in shooting percentage and 29th in save percentage.

There's obviously some nuance to this and I'm not arguing that they're literally the best team in the league, but obviously, there's going to be some correction there. It just hasn't gone their way so far for no reason other than sometimes it just doesn't. I don't think they're a bad team.

The Senators are a bad team, and on paper, they shouldn't be.

Reactions: PuckG

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Yeah. With Skinner, Campbell and Pickard in net, I’m not convinced that Edmonton should ever have been considered a Cup favourite. That was mostly a creation of the Canadian media and their audience starved for a cup team in Canada.
While I think they still have a decent shot at a wildcard spot they were never really a legitimate threat.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Were the Oilers really ever considered a serious Cup threat outside of clickbait pieces?

I don't know anybody serious who had them ahead of Colorado, Vegas, or Dallas, and that's just the West.

Reactions: Voight

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Were the Oilers really ever considered a serious Cup threat outside of clickbait pieces?

I don't know anybody serious who had them ahead of Colorado, Vegas, or Dallas, and that's just the West.
One of many articles this summer. This one by the Hockey Writers:
‘Oilers Rightly in a Tie for the Best Odds to Win 2024 Stanley Cup
June 14, 2023 by Rob Couch’

Here’s another:
‘Stanley Cup predictions for 2023-24 NHL season
Stars, Hurricanes, Oilers favorites among NHL.com staff preseason picks’

And of course many of their fans on here bought into the hype.

Reactions: banks

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

I think they were for the same reason the Penguins circa 2007/2008 were considered a Cup threat. Not the best overall rosters "on paper", but lifted up by two generational/elite players who are expected to offset any roster weaknesses.

MCR74

Nov 11, 2022
A ton of Analysts seemed to have Edmonton as Cup contenders but their fans seemed to have their doubts. They also still have a decent chance of making the playoffs where anything can happen.

Ottawa fans as a whole basically universally saw themselves as a playoff team where many thought they had an elite team. The results have been cringeworthy

Signing four elite players to $8M will do that to you.

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
What really matters is those who put their money where their mouth is. Bet MGM had the Oilers with the 4th best odds at the bringing of the year and Ottawa 17th. How is this poll even open Nevermind close?

• Haha
Reactions: Leaf Fans

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

Lol you're so obsessed with the sens. Keep feeding the wings their lunch and they're not even good. Must be hard to accept.

Reactions: Sens9292

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario

Dude, what are you talking about? Leafs beat the Lightning last year while Ottawa can’t even make the playoffs. We have to listen to you guys talk about playoff warrior Brady Tkachuk dragging his team through a playoff series that has never existed and you’re saying Leaf fans talk a lot? Just make the playoffs. That’s all.

Because year after year Sens fans chirping Leaf fans makes even lesser sense as the years go by. Make the playoffs, then chirp. That’s how this works.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Dude, what are you talking about? Leafs beat the Lightning last year while Ottawa can’t even make the playoffs. We have to listen to you guys talk about playoff warrior Brady Tkachuk dragging his team through a playoff series that has never existed and you’re saying Leaf fans talk a lot? Just make the playoffs. That’s all.

Because year after year Sens fans chirping Leaf fans makes even lesser sense as the years go by. Make the playoffs, then chirp. That’s how this works.
Oh boy you're just lost. Making the playoffs isn't the accomplishment you think it is. One series win isn't the accomplishment you seem to think it is either. But I mean it's probably the first in your lifetime considering the last time it happened was 2004.

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Oh boy you're just lost. Making the playoffs isn't the accomplishment you think it is. One series win isn't the accomplishment you seem to think it is either. But I mean it's probably the first in your lifetime considering the last time it happened was 2004.
As opposed to the incredible accomplishment of missing the playoffs every damn year. Guess we should all aspire to be like the Senators. The pinnacle of an accomplished playoff hockey team that can’t make the playoffs?

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
As opposed to the incredible accomplishment of missing the playoffs every year. Guess we should all aspire to be like the Senators. The pinnacle of an accomplished playoff hockey team that can’t make the playoffs?
Buddy in our lifetimes the sens have made the playoffs more. Won more series and got further. I don't pretend they are world beaters. I can admit they've been dissapointing. But they have had way more success than Toronto has the last 20 years. Who has a way bigger competitive advantage. Go and beat your chest when they actually do something. Until that happens shut up. Given the hype and expectations one series win in nine tries with this group is pathetic.

So yes they should be in this poll. Cry somewhere else about it if you can't be realistic.

Reactions: SNES

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Buddy in our lifetimes the sens have made the playoffs more. Won more series and got further. I don't pretend they are world beaters. I can admit they've been dissapointing. But they have had way more success than Toronto has the last 20 years. Who has a way bigger competitive advantage. Go and beat your chest when they actually do something. Until that happens shut up. Given the hype and expectations one series win in nine tries with this group is pathetic.

So yes they should be in this poll. Cry somewhere else about it if you can't be realistic.
Oh so I have to bring out the history books now eh? That’s where Ottawa gets to beat their chests :laugh:

Just stop it man. We’re in 2023 almost 2024. No one cares what Ottawa “almost” did several years ago. Leafs have had disappointing playoff series? Cool, so did one of the best teams in recent memory in the Boston Bruins. That’s playoffs. Anything can happen.

So making the playoffs isn’t the accomplishment I think it is eh. Well I think it’s an accomplishment that the Sens have been incapable of reaching in 5+ years? Is that supposed to be false?

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Lol you're so obsessed with the sens. Keep feeding the wings their lunch and they're not even good. Must be hard to accept.
Weird flex when you’re sitting at the bottom of the standings with “Three #1D” and “the best top 6 in the NHL”…

Congrats on that 1 extra OT win against the Wings though, I guess Sens fans have already moved onto to cheering for moral victories on the season

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad