Which Player are you looking forward seeing this season

MC Ride

Feels bad man
Feb 4, 2009
Baertschi without a doubt. He ended last season on a huge point streak so I want to see what he can do with a full season in the top 6

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
I want to see Baertschi succeed and challenge for Calder being centered by a Backlund who breaks out for 50+ points in a healthy season.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
I want to see Baertschi succeed and challenge for Calder being centered by a Backlund who breaks out for 50+ points in a healthy season.

If they stay paired together I think we see some real chemistry develop between the two of them. They just need a big guy on the opposite wing. It'll probably be Jones, hopefully he can bring some grit to that line.

MC Ride

Feels bad man
Feb 4, 2009
I really wanna see what our new goalies can do. Berra and Ortio looked great at camp and Ramo looks amazing. At least one can become an elite starter right? Right?? Guys?

MonahanTheMan

Pray for Flames
Jul 10, 2013
Bellingham, WA

Is Baertschi still eligible for Calder consideration? How many games do you have to play before you're no longer considered a rookie (given that he's at 25)?

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Is Baertschi still eligible for Calder consideration? How many games do you have to play before you're no longer considered a rookie (given that he's at 25)?

Dude, are you thinking of Backlund? Baertschi is 20.

In order to be Calder eligible, you need to have played no more than 25 games in any one previous season, and no more than 6 games in any two previous seasons. He played 5 games two years ago and 20 games last year, so yes, he is still eligible.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011

In order to be Calder eligible, you need to have played no more than 25 games in any one previous season, and no more than 6 games in any two previous seasons. He played 5 games two years ago and 20 games last year, so yes, he is still eligible.

Hes talking about # of games played...

Anyway your reply answers his question.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
I really wanna see these guys.

Brady Lamb, D
Bryan Cameron, F
Akim Aliu, F
Leland Irving, G
Gaelan Patterson, F
M. Testwuide, F
Krys Kolanos, F

TychoFan

Feb 24, 2013
Canada
I really wanna see these guys.

Brady Lamb, D
Bryan Cameron, F
Akim Aliu, F
Leland Irving, G
Gaelan Patterson, F
M. Testwuide, F
Krys Kolanos, F

To be honest, I'm really afraid that Irving signs with a divisional rival and starts dominating. I feel like we gave up on him too early. Aliu wasn't too bad either as far as I saw. I specifically remember trading a prospect (Mitch Wahl I believe) for Testwuide so that was a huge waste of time/false hope.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
To be honest, I'm really afraid that Irving signs with a divisional rival and starts dominating. I feel like we gave up on him too early. Aliu wasn't too bad either as far as I saw. I specifically remember trading a prospect (Mitch Wahl I believe) for Testwuide so that was a huge waste of time/false hope.

Considering Wahl wasn't qualified either it doesn't really matter.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg

Wahl is a useless bust. Testwuide atleast brought a physical aspect to Abbottsford. Wahl brought nothing.

Nordberg

Sep 22, 2009
Landskrona
Wahl is a useless bust. Testwuide atleast brought a physical aspect to Abbottsford. Wahl brought nothing.
He did bring us this gem:
m_wahl.jpg

Noori

Jul 7, 2007
Calgary
I really, really don't want to see Monahan up with the Flames. I can't think of a single player who's development has been ruined by an extra year of junior. And yet, there are countless examples of players who were brought in early and it ruined their development.

I'm worried the Flames will keep Monahan on the big team so the rebuild is an easier sell. If we're going to be patient with a rebuild, we need to be patient with the players. Monahan will make no difference to this clubs fortunes in 2013/2014 so why jeopardize his development all the while burning a very valuable year of his ELC? Not to mention, there are plenty of guys like Knight, Horak, and Reinhart that could/should be given long looks at the 3rd line center position.

I'd be okay with a 9 game tryout similar to what Scheifele and Zibanejad got just so he gets a taste of the big leagues. After that, he needs to be back with the '67s.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
I really, really don't want to see Monahan up with the Flames. I can't think of a single player who's development has been ruined by an extra year of junior. And yet, there are countless examples of players who were brought in early and it ruined their development.

I'm worried the Flames will keep Monahan on the big team so the rebuild is an easier sell. If we're going to be patient with a rebuild, we need to be patient with the players. Monahan will make no difference to this clubs fortunes in 2013/2014 so why jeopardize his development all the while burning a very valuable year of his ELC? Not to mention, there are plenty of guys like Knight, Horak, and Reinhart that could/should be given long looks at the 3rd line center position.

I'd be okay with a 9 game tryout similar to what Scheifele and Zibanejad got just so he gets a taste of the big leagues. After that, he needs to be back with the '67s.

This is the most likely and IMO best scenario.

Flamesarmstrong22

May 2, 2012
Toronto
This is the most likely and IMO best scenario.

I agree this is the best method to handle Monohan if he makes the team however I truly see no room for him this year.

We also have to remember Corban Knight, who I think should be on the team before Monohan. If Knight is on the team that leaves our C depth at:
Backlund
Stajan
Knight
Those 3 can all play in the top 9 and I don't think Monohan should be the 4th line C. Also consider the possibly Feaster adds another C and everyone is pushed down a spot than there would really be no room for Monohan. IMO he is destined to go back to junior.

MonahanTheMan

Pray for Flames
Jul 10, 2013
Bellingham, WA

No, I didn't mean 25 as in age, I meant 25 as in games. :laugh: But you answered my question, so awesome. I bet he'll be in the top five at least.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary

I agree with you to a point, that point being if he shows that he is ready. There is a very select few every year that can step in and play right away, Monahan has said that is his goal. If he is clearly better than our other options and shows he can handle it, then I am fine with him staying up next year because he is such a mature player. However, if he is not ready, then I completely agree with you. I think we need to see how he does in camp before we can make any call.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
I agree this is the best method to handle Monohan if he makes the team however I truly see no room for him this year.

We also have to remember Corban Knight, who I think should be on the team before Monohan. If Knight is on the team that leaves our C depth at:
Backlund
Stajan
Knight
Those 3 can all play in the top 9 and I don't think Monohan should be the 4th line C. Also consider the possibly Feaster adds another C and everyone is pushed down a spot than there would really be no room for Monohan. IMO he is destined to go back to junior.

Monahan would be rotated around the 2nd and 3rd line in those games, Knight would be starting as a 4th line C either way, he has never played in the NHL before either.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
I don't care if we drafted Monahan or Crosby, there is no reason to rush a guy right into the NHL. Give him a year in Abbottsford.

Bosnian Beast

Formerly Janko Unchained
Dec 30, 2010
Lethbridge, AB
I don't care if we drafted Monahan or Crosby, there is no reason to rush a guy right into the NHL. Give him a year in Abbottsford.

You mean after this season? He'll be going back to Ottawa this year, probably after a nine (or less) game stint, assuming he isn't the second coming of Jesus.

TychoFan

Feb 24, 2013
Canada
Considering Wahl wasn't qualified either it doesn't really matter.

Well that's good to hear then. I was curious and looked through his stat sheet and damn did he dominate in the WHL/ECHL. For some reason, he couldn't translate that much to the AHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad