GDT: WCSF | GM 3 | Vancouver Canucks @ Edmonton Oilers | Sunday, May 12th | 6:30PM PST | SPAC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Karlsson on top line?

Uh should...I be concerned???
images

He’s playing with Boeser and Miller? Or is he flanking Linholm and Garland?

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
I’d probably try Lindholm with Petey and Bleuger on the third line with Aman on the fourth line.

If the Oilers are going to stack their first line then it is imperative that we score on the second line matchup, and hopefully really outscore them. I still like Joshua, Garland and Bleuger in the third line and think that would out score their third line. Fourth lines mostly a wash.

Reactions: wonton15

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
I’d probably try Lindholm with Petey and Bleuger on the third line with Aman on the fourth line.

If the Oilers are going to stack their first line then it is imperative that we score on the second line matchup, and hopefully really outscore them. I still like Joshua, Garland and Bleuger in the third line and think that would out score their third line. Fourth lines mostly a wash.
I would do this
Mik-Petey-Lindholm
Dak-Blue-Gar
Hog-Aman-Laff

That 4th line might get murdered though…

In fairness - Hoglander and Mikheyev have done virtually nothing. For better or for worse, Karlsson was the top offensive guy in Abby. Giving him a shot with Petey makes a bit of sense.

But I’m surprised Podkolzin isn’t in at all.
Oh yeah no doubt, just wondering why not POD or Aman instead beside Petey.

Reactions: Hodgy

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
He’s just trolling. If those situations were reversed, he wouldn’t have been able to print a column through the tear stains.

I can just imagine his and Oiler fans reaction if Zadorov did the exact same thing to McDacid that Kane did to Pettersson. They'd be screaming murder the whole night.

Game 2: Knoblauch inserts a less than healthy Henrique and Draisaitl

Game 3: Tocchet plays Karlsson and Aman

Lol is Podkozin dead to this organization?

I really don't understand the obsession with Karlsson. He did almost nothing in the regular season. If they were going to draw him in over Podkolzin, then put him on the fourth line and move Pettersson to the wing with Miller or Lindholm.

Tocchet's obsession with the three line centers is going to bite us.

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
I can just imagine his and Oiler fans reaction if Zadorov did the exact same thing to McDacid that Kane did to Pettersson. They'd be screaming murder the whole night.

I really don't understand the obsession with Karlsson. He did almost nothing in the regular season. If they were going to draw him in over Podkolzin, then put him on the fourth line and move Pettersson to the wing with Miller or Lindholm.

The obsession is that they know they need to get offensive out of Petey’s line. They don’t seem willing to move Lindholm to his line yet. So, you aren’t left with a lot of other options.

Curious if things get dire enough to see Lelerimakki.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014

I'm baffled as well.....in terms of the Abbotsford callups, I'd rate Podkolzin as a clear #1; Bains at #2 and Karlsson at #3. But I guess Karlsson is replacing another guy Tocchet seems obsessed with--PDG.

BWJM

Sponsor
Mar 16, 2011
We lost so I'm back in the GDT.

I'd like to say this. Wake up Hronek you've been sleeping for the last 6 months.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
With how much shit the Oilers are talking right now, I'd love a blatant missed call on McDavid getting driven into the boards or a high stick. The irony would be glorious.

I'm baffled as well.....in terms of the Abbotsford callups, I'd rate Podkolzin as a clear #1; Bains at #2 and Karlsson at #3. But I guess Karlsson is replacing another guy Tocchet seems obsessed with--PDG.

Karlsson did perform better in the AHL than I thought. So I guess that's the idea but I'd be more forgiving if I expected Tocchet to move away from it mid-game if Karlsson trends water again. Sadly, he very likely won't save for the seemingly random Lotto line shift he does. Still don't understand the logic behide that.

Brock Boeser Laser Show

Sep 27, 2017
Karlsson is too slow for NHL. I doubt he will do much to impress tonight. This is probably just toch giving Highlander a kick in the ass in hopes Hog has a good game 4.

Need to shorten the bench tonight because you know the oilers will play that too line half the game. If you roll out that 4th line it's easier for the oilers to hide Ceci/nurse and gives less time for our other 3 lines to take advantage. Key is to use all the tv breaks to your advantage and you won't have to play your bottom forwards all that much.

Reactions: sting101

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
The reality is, they really need to find a way to get Petey going at even strength.

deadinthewater992

May 7, 2024
Away playoff games make me carsick.

I hope they're ready to weather the storm and have a biggg pushback. No getting rattled. Let's go.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
They occasionally are in a position to shoot. The goalie has to move around in their presence.

PDG or even Lafferty? not so much.
I'm not saying move PDG or Lafferty up.

I would shorten the bench a lot more, similar to Knoblauch.
The best mechanism to contain that McDrai line is by having control of the puck in the offensive zone...All 3 guys handle the puck like a grenade.
Yes, that is ideal. No one accomplished that in Game 2. IMO the best case is just damage control.
Or just play the Joshua-Lindholm-Garland line against the Draisaitl-McDavid-Hyman line? They have to try that or the Pettersson line before going to Lotto imo.. If something clicks, then you save Miller and Lindholm/Pettersson for the opposition's depth.

Moving Pettersson up to the Lotto Line basically scuttles any hope of Hoglander and Mikheyev chipping in during this series. The other aspect of Lotto that is unappealing is that Tocchet doesn't play Pettersson in the middle. This prevents Miller from being first man on the forecheck (ideal) and it stalls Pettersson's movement. Too many starts and stops on the wing. He doesn't move his feet enough already.

This is a big decision that I'm hoping Tocchet gets right from the outset of Game 3.
The Lindholm line hasn't been as strong as we would have thought (in terms of scoring chance control) in the playoffs. I think that's maybe why Tocc is hesitant to use them in a matchup role.

Yeah, I said already the issue with using all their top guys in a matchup role is that it basically ensures the bottom half of the lineup will accomplish absolutely nothing offensively.

There's no winning the matchup. I think a "punt" line like Suter - Blueger - Mik might not get torched too much, but free up the other guys to play in the OZ against the Oilers' non-McDavid units.

Reactions: Vector
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad