Which is a worse trade: The Sergachev trade or the Subban trade?

Which is the worst trade, the Sergachev trade or the Subban trade?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Indeed, we did all watch Subban play with the Stanley Cup on the line. That's a thing that happened, and we saw it.

...Weber though?

Hypocrisy at its finest. Subban's playoff performances were in the upper echelon for his entire career.

Let's not intentionally forget these historic moments.

Edit: I see @Captain Subban beat me to the punch. :laugh:

Reactions: Price is Wright

groovejuice

Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Nice spin. Not pinning him to a loss.

Talking about HIS performance when the Stanley Cup was on the line. In response to a hypothetical "PK in game Stanley Cup 7 OT" post.

We all watched the finals when the Stanley Cup was on the line. PK? He was no "play off beast" He didn't put the team on his back. When they were getting trounced 6-0 in game 5 he was invisible. When they were losing 1-0 in game 6 and the cup was still on the line on home ice ....he did not shine. When they pulled the goalie to tie the game with the Cup in the building. He went out with a whimper.

Thanks for coming out....next time the Cup is on the line maybe he will bring his A game........ instead of a sack full of mouth wash for the cameras. ;)

Disingenuous claptrap.

Rinne was awful in Game 6.

Injuries to Nashville:

Craig Smith
Colin Wilson
James Neal
Ryan Ellis
Ryan Johansen
Kevin Fiala

Blaming any Preds player for losing that series is rewriting history. That was one of the best and most exciting playoff runs in recent memory. Your bizarre antipathy toward Subban is noted, as is the company you share it with here.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Good point, completely forgot about them with their struggles this season. Would be interesting if they can make a major deal around Pacioretty/Weber. and get their unprotected 1st rounder out of it along with Pulj/etc

Well, they say it takes a great number one center and great number one D and a great goalie to win so adding Weber would give them the D part, he is made for a team like the Oilers and their inconsistency lies with many things but having a player like Weber would certainly be a steadying presence on the blue line. I don't like the Weber for Subban trade but it's not because I hate Weber the player but because he was not a fit for us, if we have Subban and we add a Weber, the entire fan base is ecstatic.

Trading for a guy like Weber is a move you make when you have the assets and need to address another need,(Nashville) we lost that deal because we were not even ready to make one like it, especially without even having any center depth, the team was not even ready to "win now". I look at the Sergchev trade for Drouin in the same way, a pointless trade for us and we lost again, we traded for a player that might be a center by giving up our only blue chip prospect, who does that with any form of logic attached to why it was done? Our franchise is set back for years because of those two deals and now we might as well sell off whats left because there is no winning for our franchise in ts current form, Bergevin has killed our chances and sadly he has not left much for anyone to work with when he is eventually fired.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
Edmonton supposedly had cold feet on trading for Subban because they didn't want to add $9M to their cap with McDavid's contract coming.

If they traded for Weber, who at $7.8M ain't much cheaper, Montreal would have to either:

- Take cap back (a $5.8M Weber is likely easier for them to take in)
or
- Take a big contract back to even things out (Lucic, Russell, Sekera)

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Disingenuous claptrap.

Rinne was awful in Game 6.

Injuries to Nashville:

Craig Smith
Colin Wilson
James Neal
Ryan Ellis
Ryan Johansen
Kevin Fiala

Blaming any Preds player for losing that series is rewriting history. That was one of the best and most exciting playoff runs in recent memory. Your bizarre antipathy toward Subban is noted, as is the company you share it with here.
Nice spin.

I talked only of how PK played in games 5 and 6.

Never once blamed him for his teams loss.

SpeedyPotato

Mar 29, 2012
Don't know if it's been said in this thread, but NSH traded Jones and Girard for a no 1 and no 2 center; MTL traded 2 better defensemen and didn't get a center back. I don't wanna hear anyone say we did good with these deals...
Ouchhhhhhh!!!

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Where were Crosby, Malkin, Kessel last spring when the Cup was on the line in game 6? They were invisible. When you play 2 months of playoff hockey, your star players don't always shine.
lol

Well while Subban "play off beast" was all but invisible. Crosby owned all of game 5

Split the top pair D right off opening face off went in alone on Rinne and hit the post. Drew a penalty while blowing through Josi and Ellis with speed and strength. Set up the 1-0 ensuing game winning powerplay goal all by the 2 minute mark of the game.

Went on to win 6-0 while Sid dominated. Mario called it one of his best game ever.

Since you asked.

Last edited:

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Don't know if it's been said in this thread, but NSH traded Jones and Girard for a no 1 and no 2 center; MTL traded 2 better defensemen and didn't get a center back. I don't wanna hear anyone say we did good with these deals...
MB is the Matthew Darche of GMS.

Apologies to Matt.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Yeah... about that...

Goal one: Weber laying on the ice like Hal Gill on vacation
Goal two: Weber's controller gets unplugged
Goal three: I don't even know what he's doing here.
Goal four: Wait isn't that the kind of thing Subban gets blamed for doing?
Goal five: I know he was on the ice, I just can't find him. Wait, was that him finishing a check instead of paying attention to the play?

I now realize this was an unfair question. Shea Weber can't even make it to a game seven OT because he'll blow it for his team before it gets to that point.

Not so unfair. Did you see PK when his team was getting beat by the Rangers in six games? Or the Lightening in 6? Or the Pens. "Play off beast" ???? " Mountain Man" ??? nope.
We can cherry pick all day on these two Cupless superstars.

They are both really good D that have yet to deliver when it mattered most.

Until then they are not in the same category as D who did deliver when it mattered most. Subban as good as he is, and the great team he is on is likely to get more chances and may finally bring that A game to the biggest games. Like Letang, Chara, Doughty, Kieth, Lidstrom, Pronger , Niedimyer, Stevens, etc

Weber in Montreal?.....not a chance. He and the Habs will be lucky to get another round in.

Last edited:

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Honestly, I won't argue that Subban couldn't hoist his team on his back for the final games of the Cup Finals last year, but I don't see how that discredits him in any way. No question his history in Montreal as well as the playoffs last year, he performed at a high level. The playoffs are a grind, and I'd say he was great in at least 90% of the games. In the end, there's a reason why Sid has multiple cups, a room full of individual awards and a bunch of international accolades. Doesn't help Nashville lost their #1 and #2 centers and some key forwards.

Oh, and seeing as to how PK was the #3/#4 guy, it maybe wasn't his job to carry the team :sarcasm:

groovejuice

Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
What the hell are you talking about? In his last 3-4 years with us, Subban lead the team in points (during the playoffs) every single year. How is that 'not delivering when it matters'?

But he didn't singlehandedly put the team on his shoulders and outperform every player on every team in every game.

Subban has never disappointed in the playoffs, in fact he was always our best skater. I'm really not sure why there are some who constantly feel obliged to denigrate him.

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
The Habs are the only team without a 20 point player. Most teams have a player over 30 points.

Sergachev and Subban have both hit the 20 point mark. That would be a nice pairing. I don't know what MB was thinking.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
And the habs went so, so far with him

Everyone we got rid of is great, everyone we got in return is crap

Everyone who disagrees is stupid yada yada yada

I was wrong about Devante Smith-Pelly and so far Nathan Beaulieu. Kind of wrong on Emelin, he's playing better than I expected. Sergachev much better than I thought he'd be.

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
Making decisions in haste, out of anger and fused with too much self-confidence doesn’t seem the way to rebuild the mess we are in.

The President needs to be the one with cathedral vision.

At this point I want a President/GM that will either be so passionate they pull this club kicking and screaming back to a Stanley Cup, or so passionate they burn the Canadiens down to the point where Molson has no choice but to either sell or rebuild.

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
I was wrong about Devante Smith-Pelly and so far Nathan Beaulieu. Kind of wrong on Emelin, he's playing better than I expected. Sergachev much better than I thought he'd be.

Sergachev is playing easy minutes on the best offensive team in the league by miles.

I cringed when we traded him for Drouin (I was sure it would be a Galchenyuk - Drouin swap) but let's not pretend like Sergachev would be the leading point scorer on the habs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad