Which is a worse trade: The Sergachev trade or the Subban trade?

Which is the worst trade, the Sergachev trade or the Subban trade?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Sergachev is playing easy minutes on the best offensive team in the league by miles.

I cringed when we traded him for Drouin (I was sure it would be a Galchenyuk - Drouin swap) but let's not pretend like Sergachev would be the leading point scorer on the habs.

He's the leading D point scorer on the bolts, though. Outscoring Hedman so far.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
Sergachev is playing easy minutes on the best offensive team in the league by miles.

I cringed when we traded him for Drouin (I was sure it would be a Galchenyuk - Drouin swap) but let's not pretend like Sergachev would be the leading point scorer on the habs.

I didn't think he was NHL ready, so yeah he's much better than I thought by just being a regular.

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
At this point I want a President/GM that will either be so passionate they pull this club kicking and screaming back to a Stanley Cup, or so passionate they burn the Canadiens down to the point where Molson has no choice but to either sell or rebuild.

Passion in a GM strikes me as being the same as character in a hockey player. Give me brains/skill over passion/character at the key positions.

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
So he passionately burns the franchise down. I still get what I want. Win/win for me.

Or because he is impatient and governed by passion, he deviates from a well laid out rebuild plan and puts us in the same no man’s land we are in today.

Expecting a positive result because someone can not adhere to a plan sounds like a gamble.

Brian Burke has passion in spades. He was going to rebuild the Leafs. He lost patience in a hurry and set the rebuild back a good 5 years. He and Nonis did nothing positive for the franchise, not even in the sense of taking them down to nothing.

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada
These are Bergevin's two biggest moves, when he discarded Subban for Weber, and when he discarded Sergachev for Drouin.

Both are similar in that:
- They are superficially "win-now" moves to acquire players incorrectly believed to be better in the short-term.
- The trades substantially improved the other teams for years to come. Both Nashville and Tampa Bay are vastly superior teams now, both are legitimate contenders.
- Both Sergachev and Subban likely have multiple Norris nominations to come, whereas Weber will likely never be a Norris finalist, and Drouin will never be an Art Ross candidate.
- Both Sergachev and Subban would be perfect top-pairing complements to Ryan McDonagh.
- They are losses even if you re-arrange the trade. I'd take Subban over either Drouin or Weber, likewise I'd take Sergachev over either Drouin or Weber.
- The trades created victims of the incoming players. Weber and Drouin will never live up the expectations that these trades created as they simply do not have the talent to do so. It's not their fault.

Personally I'm not sure which trade is worse. I'm open to suggestions and to argumentation.

I honestly don't understand how you can think this.

RickP

Mar 14, 2017
lol

Well while Subban "play off beast" was all but invisible. Crosby owned all of game 5

Split the top pair D right off opening face off went in alone on Rinne and hit the post. Drew a penalty while blowing through Josi and Ellis with speed and strength. Set up the 1-0 ensuing game winning powerplay goal all by the 2 minute mark of the game.

Went on to win 6-0 while Sid dominated. Mario called it one of his best game ever.

Since you asked.

Shouldn't Crosby have dominated Game 6 too? Why was he invisible? My point is there's no such thing as a "playoff beast" who will put his team on his back and make his team win the Stanley Cup. That applies to Subban too, he's not going to make his team win games all by himself whenever he feels like it. But Subban has shown over the years that he plays his best hockey in the playoffs, which is not the case for every player in the league.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
for a decade... with the first 3-5 years of it being at a total cap hit that would make them one of the best 1st pairing D bargains in the league.

a GM with a clue would have seen that potential and made it happen.
It is mindblowing how we went from Subban-Markov-Sergachev to just Weber in the span of a year.
You would think that a team who decided to sacrifice so much talent on defense would have dramatically improved on offense....But nope. Not with this f***ing ass clown running the show. What an incredible embarrassement Bergevin has turned out to be. I was so wrong about him.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
It is mindblowing how we went from Subban-Markov-Sergachev to just Weber in the span of a year.
You would think that a team who decided to sacrifice so much talent on defense would have dramatically improved on offense....But nope. Not with this ****ing ass clown running the show. What an incredible embarrassement Bergevin has turned out to be. I was so wrong about him.

Sergachev was sacrificed for offence......if Drouin gets traded to the Leafs or Sens, you sit here today complaining about how Bergevin sat on his hands.....

Perrah

Jul 2, 2009
Sergachev was sacrificed for offence......if Drouin gets traded to the Leafs or Sens, you sit here today complaining about how Bergevin sat on his hands.....

Yeah how’s that offence working out? Sacrifice your best prospect for offence but not half a million dollars to keep Radulov. Great job there. That’s one less plug per year to waste money on, cant have that. Bergevin is Robin Hood for those guys.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Did you even understand my post?
I don't have a problem with the Sergachev trade on its own. But we let Radu go and added no one else, so we did not improve our offense at all.
Going from Subban-Markov-Sergachev to Weber, you would think the offense significantly improve at the cost of our defense. This is not the case at all.

Try to understand before you respond.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Bro, we added so much offence this year. That was definitely what we added.

*checks nhl.com stats*

*observes that we do not have a single player in the top 100 for scoring*

giphy.gif

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Shouldn't Crosby have dominated Game 6 too? Why was he invisible? My point is there's no such thing as a "playoff beast" who will put his team on his back and make his team win the Stanley Cup. That applies to Subban too, he's not going to make his team win games all by himself whenever he feels like it. But Subban has shown over the years that he plays his best hockey in the playoffs, which is not the case for every player in the league.
I agree. Im just razzing the guys that brag about "GAME 7 STANLEY CUP OVERTIME ILL TAKE PK SUBBAN OVER WEBER"

Subban has had some great hockey in the play off against the Bruins. Although against teams like Rangers Lightening and Sens.......pretty average.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
People have no problem saying Halak played some insanely good hockey in the POs for us. Had we won the cup that year, he had Conn Smythe all over him. Yet people forget he also got pulled in those POs.
For some reason, when it comes to PK, some people just cannot give him his due credit. They need to constantly downplay his performances.

Reactions: Deluded Puck

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
People have no problem saying Halak played some insanely good hockey in the POs for us. Had we won the cup that year, he had Conn Smythe all over him. Yet people forget he also got pulled in those POs.
For some reason, when it comes to PK, some people just cannot give him his due credit. They need to constantly downplay his performances.
Nobody ever called Halak a "play off beast"

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Nobody ever called Halak a "play off beast"

Just a remark, but one should never make the argument ''no one ever said ...'' on the internet. As it turns out, if you can think it, someone totally said it.

I remember seeing a post where someone said Avtsin might be the next Stamkos, for example. lol

Reactions: PaulD

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Honestly, I won't argue that Subban couldn't hoist his team on his back for the final games of the Cup Finals last year, but I don't see how that discredits him in any way. No question his history in Montreal as well as the playoffs last year, he performed at a high level. The playoffs are a grind, and I'd say he was great in at least 90% of the games. In the end, there's a reason why Sid has multiple cups, a room full of individual awards and a bunch of international accolades. Doesn't help Nashville lost their #1 and #2 centers and some key forwards.

Oh, and seeing as to how PK was the #3/#4 guy, it maybe wasn't his job to carry the team :sarcasm:
Nobody said or expects PK to carry a team. Why would they?

All that was brought up was that HIS OWN play was lacking in the biggest series of his career. As a habs fans I had seen that before. Against Rangers in 014. While Macdonough was dominating on the Rangers side I was waiting for PK from the Bruins series to show up. No not every game....but two or three for sure. Didnt happen.

But do his fans ever take it hard when anyone disagrees that 76 is not the Mario Lemieux of Dmen.

Last edited:

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Just a remark, but one should never make the argument ''no one ever said ...'' on the internet. As it turns out, if you can think it, someone totally said it.

I remember seeing a post where someone said Avtsin might be the next Stamkos, for example. lol
Good point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->