GDT: Which cheap rental is going to anger us in 23-24? roster building

Status
Not open for further replies.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
The Canes FO is acting as if Andersen will be back at any moment now. That's tough to bet on, but honestly, he's good when healthy. Canes never give up unnecessary draft capital even if it's the popular thing to do. If they need a goalie by the deadline, they'll get someone like Mrazek for a relatively cheap price.
What is a cheap price for Mrazek that isn’t draft capital?

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Id rather watch Raanta than watch spazzy Mrazek give away goals he shouldn’t knowing we traded something to get him

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
What is a cheap price for Mrazek that isn’t draft capital?
Whatever this year's version of Patrik Puistola is?

If Raanta can at least not actively sabotage games and they have genuine reason to believe Andersen will be back, we will be okay. They still need to be open to other goalie scenarios that may present themselves. I still think true upgrades will be easier said than done right now.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
Will always appreciate Mrazek for his elite stretch to get us back into the playoffs in '18-'19 but I don't think he's really the answer. If the price was as cheap as a C prospect like Puistola then sure but I think he could fetch a 3rd for the Hawks and I wouldn't want to pay that. I'm fine continuing to roll with Pyotr and Raanta right now and hopefully Freddie is back well before the trade deadline so we can have a better idea of our situation in net and in the standings to decide whether to make a move. Making a move in net now just seems extremely unnecessary to me.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
At this point, I wonder if Pesce just ends up re-signing. He earned the Parayko/Severson deal through the first 5 years of his 2nd contract that the Canes weren’t going to give him, but is limping to the finish line. A lost step can be the difference between #2 and 2nd pair quality. The market isn’t going to make a large commitment to the latter; Chiarot, Manson, Murphy, Savard and Larsson ranged from $3.5 mil -$4.75 mil on a 4 year deal in recent years.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I think Pesce is a goner, simply because he can't skate anymore. All of our best defenseman are good skaters Slavin, chatfield, Skjei. And our prospects like Morrow and nikishin.

I'm betting on him leaving simply based on how much of a step he's lost.

Maybe, but he did have surgery to correct a Lower Body Injury in late October and only missed 8 games, much to our surprise. Hard to say how much he's "lost a step" vs. still dealing with the effects of the LBI and surgery.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Maybe, but I don't recall seeing that much of a drop off. Pesce and Skjei were the group that faced the toughest competition all last season and did a great job at it.

Even in the playoffs, we lost to FLA not because of defense, because of lack of offense and we got out-goal tended.

I'm not saying he hasn't lost a step for sure, just saying that there is a possibility that he's still dealing with effects of the injury/surgery. No way for us fans to tell for sure.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
Maybe, but I don't recall seeing that much of a drop off. Pesce and Skjei were the group that faced the toughest competition all last season and did a great job at it.

Even in the playoffs, we lost to FLA not because of defense, because of lack of offense and we got out-goal tended.

I'm not saying he hasn't lost a step for sure, just saying that there is a possibility that he's still dealing with effects of the injury/surgery. No way for us fans to tell for sure.
Skjei has been the one doing the heavy lifting on that pairing last year and this year. Before that it was Pesce but I agree with the others that he wasn’t quite his usual elite defensive self last year and is even worse this year. Potentially due to injury but I think he also has started to slow down.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Analytically, Skjei - Pesce has suffered a drop off, but not a huge one; per MoneyPuck, the two are at 53.7% xGF% compared to ~57% over the preceding three seasons.

A SAH defender is useful, with Orlov so aggressive in this system. Chatfield works as his partner now, but will that hold if that duo is tasked with Top 4 shutdown minutes?

Savard actually makes some sense, if the FO wanted to get ahead of things. Tanev and DeMelo are on track to be available in July, but that could easily change. However, if Pesce is valued by the league similarly, there's little point in moving on for both sides.

hblueridgegal

Timing is Everything
Sponsor
Sep 13, 2019
Old North State
At this point, I wonder if Pesce just ends up re-signing. He earned the Parayko/Severson deal through the first 5 years of his 2nd contract that the Canes weren’t going to give him, but is limping to the finish line. A lost step can be the difference between #2 and 2nd pair quality. The market isn’t going to make a large commitment to the latter; Chiarot, Manson, Murphy, Savard and Larsson ranged from $3.5 mil -$4.75 mil on a 4 year deal in recent years.
His Dad had to tell some Canes fans to F*** off on Twitter recently as they were badmouthing his performance to him. It was sad to see from our fans.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Skjei has been the one doing the heavy lifting on that pairing last year and this year. Before that it was Pesce but I agree with the others that he wasn’t quite his usual elite defensive self last year and is even worse this year. Potentially due to injury but I think he also has started to slow down.
Skjei did not do the heavy lifting imo last year. People are seeing a mythical drop off imo, mostly because everyone is deep diving into why we aren’t as good this year. It’s because of the goaltending and inconsistent offense. Burns isn’t slower. Pesce is stiffer than he used to be but I don’t think he’s really lost much of a step and as @Boom Boom Apathy says he came early from injury.

People keep calling out Pesce for not being what he was when to me Slavin isn’t what he was. They’ve both got a lot of mileage on them despite their general youth. I see equal stiffness and less explosive acceleration from them both.

Watching other tv feeds you see how much other teams respect our D, and it isn’t unusual for the other teams color guy to gush over subtle plays Pesce makes even this year. We should nervous about signing either one to long term expensive deals.

To me the issue with not signing either is the Trocheck effect. Tro fit the system like a glove, was great two ways, great right handed face off guy and the team loved him. There’s a drop off to Koko that isn’t getting smaller. We like spending money on younger guys so we did but there’s an important drop off there.

How we replace Pesce or Slavin is the bigger issue than the contract to me, much like Trocheck. We can find a deal all the pundits love because we so smart but a drop off will be felt. We take our d for granted.

ndp

Hurricanes Pessimist
Oct 29, 2015
Haven’t some of Pesce’s injury issues been hip related?

I can’t remember which one, but during one of the national broadcast games the commentators were talking about his hip positioning being off and it allowing skaters to get by him. Basically being slow to rotate at the hips and staying square to his man. Hope it’s something that can be improved on with a little more time. I think he’s definitely show some flashes of his old self these past few games.

I personally always want to see one of the major contributors of helping to get this team trending in the right direction get rewarded for his work. I think Pesce is definitely one of those guys.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Skjei has been the one doing the heavy lifting on that pairing last year and this year.
I don't agree. In fact, last year when Skjei was having the offensive explosion, in an interview, he credited a lot of that to having Pesce being his partner and being that steady presence on defense allowing Skjei to jump up into the play more and be more aggressive. those two were handling the toughest assignments night in and night out for the last couple of years now and their metrics aren't any different from what I can tell. Here's there numbers as a pair:

23/24: xGA/60 2.39
22/23: xGA/60 2.24
21/22: xGA/60 2.37

Our bad goaltending is making every little mistake that a defenseman makes stand out.

All that said, the Canes are reluctant to give long term high dollar contracts to guys his age so I have doubts he will be here next year. He's also not nearly as smooth of a skater as Slavin, and never has been. He's stiffer with a choppier stride, so it's possible he's slowing down, but like I said, the injury/surgery certainly clouds things.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

FlyingSquirrels

Jul 5, 2011
Defending Pesce's play this year inexcusable. He has been nothing short of absolutely dreadful. And I question the injury narrative. His skating has never been good and as he ages it's getting even worse. Lots of tread have been worn off those tires. Let some other dumb GM pay him, but it better not be us.

Replay Toronto's 2nd goal Saturday and focus in on Pesce. It's nothing short of hilarious.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad