GDT: Which cheap rental is going to anger us in 23-24? roster building

Status
Not open for further replies.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Defending Pesce's play this year inexcusable. He has been nothing short of absolutely dreadful. And I question the injury narrative. His skating has never been good and as he ages it's getting even worse. Lots of tread have been worn off those tires. Let some other dumb GM pay him, but it better not be us.

Replay Toronto's 2nd goal Saturday and focus in on Pesce. It's nothing short of hilarious.
That's more than a little much. He's been human. Not miserable. We got so used to elite that we forgot what normal looks like, and Pesce has been rather normal. He looks like a middle of the pack 2nd pair guy right now.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
With Pesce having an awful statistical year so far combined with Orlov being signed another year, I wonder if he would reconsider the Canes’ offer(s) over this past summer.

Personally, I’d rather they keep Skjei and re-up Chatfield, but Skjei seems like he’s pricing himself out of Raleigh. Chatfield shouldn’t be too hard to re-sign, theoretically…

To add - Friedman speculates Dubas (PIT) was one of the GMs to inquire about Bunting.

~28mins in, very quick blurb:

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Reviving this thread. WDLOG was past the limit.

Don’t see Carolina representation on tweeted scouting lists too often. Probably nothing, but might be something.

There's (rumored) history with Tarasenko. I wonder about Brannstrom. He only played ~12 minutes, despite Sanderson leaving the game with an injury in the 1st period. He's run his course there. If it's a quiet deadline, the space to drop $2 mil on a player that would be healthy scratched regularly will be there. The point would be a potential option for the 3LD spot in 24-25.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017

Don’t see Carolina representation on tweeted scouting lists too often. Probably nothing, but might be something.

There's (rumored) history with Tarasenko. I wonder about Brannstrom. He only played ~12 minutes, despite Sanderson leaving the game with an injury in the 1st period. He's run his course there. If it's a quiet deadline, the space to drop $2 mil on a player that would be healthy scratched regularly will be there. The point would be a potential option for the 3LD spot in 24-25.

Tank is probably likely. At the same time, if Ottawa is looking to deal, my dream is getting Giroux in to make a run or 2 for the Cup.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
With the lack of games this week, I'm less inclined to believe it's anything super significant. But there are likely a few cheapish, decent options that will be available from Ottawa.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC

Lavalette mentioned both Rasmus Andersson and Ferraro as potential longer-term adds that the Canes could try to pull off at the deadline. I'm skeptical of Andersson in particular because the price is going to be steep as hell and he would only be dealt in a total teardown rebuild, but...maybe...

Other (IMO more likely) names that he mentioned were depth defensemen like Edmundson, Brendan Smith, and Colin Miller as #7D options. Also depth forwards like Duclair, Barabanov, and Blackwell as possible bench upgrades.

No mention of Kakko, Zub, or Brannstrom, but those are more like personal hunches, particularly the former two.

Last edited:
Reactions: WreckingCrew

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA

If the tweet doesn’t load for you, Friedman mentioned Carolina as one of teams that he thinks was in the mix for Lindholm. A speculative tone for certain, but interesting given who’s saying it. The prevailing thought is that because they haven’t engaged in the high priced rental market, they’ll never do it. Perhaps they’ll waver on that philosophy at some point.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015

Who TF makes a numbered list but then does a 2x then skip, 2x then skip...use blank lines you twits

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille