Where is Kawhi Leonard going to end up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
there's no way he leaves boston after one season if he gets traded there

that team is already a title contender and his presence there would put them over the top. the only way i would believe he'd sign with LA regardless after next season is if he actually comes out and says so

I disagree. Sure the C's would be stacked with him and he'd have the chance to win more championships - however some players are genuinely fine with just one.

Well he could've named Boston (as well as other title contenders) as a preferred destination but instead chose LA. And the fact that he'd consider the Clippers, not just the Lakers, tells me this is not exactly a basketball decision but more about where he wants to live and do business.

Agreed. The way I see it, hes already won a championship so for him it doesn't necessarily matter if the team is good or not. Its pretty much for business, his entourage feels like he will be able to come out of his shell and be way more marketable in LA. He's going to get paid a lot of money regardless and hes already accomplished what every player dreams of so I can understand his thinking.

Spurs shutting out any Lakers offers.

This is a difficult spot. Is there a team willing to give up a lot for a one-year rental? Will the Clippers be able to muster up enough?

Clippers are asset poor so its going to be tough. Theres no high end young player that they can give up and Pop/Budford are going to want/need one. Hence why they should talk to the Lakers.... they can probably get Kuzma, Lonzo or Ingram providing Kawhi signs an extension.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I wonder if the Lakers are even offering anything of substance or if they truly believe they can swoop in and sign him next July.

If they are, though, and you're the Spurs, surely you could do worse than a potential Ingram/Lonzo/Kuzma/1st package (not all of those assets), no? Instead of him just walking?

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I wonder if the Lakers are even offering anything of substance or if they truly believe they can swoop in and sign him next July.

If they are, though, and you're the Spurs, surely you could do worse than a potential Ingram/Lonzo/Kuzma/1st package (not all of those assets), no? Instead of him just walking?

The Lakers advantage in trading for him now is the Spurs can give him the $219 million super max and then move him to LA. Next summer they wouldn't be able to offer as much $$ plus you never know what can happen in the next year.

I am willing to bet the Lakers would offer Ingram for him if he does a sign and trade.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
The Lakers advantage in trading for him now is the Spurs can give him the $219 million super max and then move him to LA. Next summer they wouldn't be able to offer as much $$ plus you never know what can happen in the next year.

I am willing to bet the Lakers would offer Ingram for him if he does a sign and trade.

I have to wonder why it hasn't happened yet if LA was willing to give up Ingram.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
I have to wonder why it hasn't happened yet if LA was willing to give up Ingram.
I cant see the Spurs trading him to their biggest rival. If LeBron and George end up in LA this year, I don't think they will have money to sign him next year due to Deng being on the books. SO I can see why the Spurs wont trade him their now. The Lakers might have to move one of their young players next year with Deng to clears space for him. I think a lot of this offseason doesn't depend on LeBron, it is Paul George. If Russ can convince him to stay in Oklahoma City, it changes everything.

Reactions: cgf

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Spurs will move hell and high water to ensure he doesn't end up in LA

But if he's telling teams that he's signing with LA next summer no matter what, and so tanking his trade value to that of a pure 1-year rental, then why bother fretting over whether he goes to the lakers in the summer of 2018 or 2019? Pop's been too smart to only be doing it out of pettiness & for me not to give him the benefit of the doubt that LA isn't even offering Ingram because they are all-in on getting him next summer.
I cant see the Spurs trading him to their biggest rival. If LeBron and George end up in LA this year, I don't think they will have money to sign him next year due to Deng being on the books. SO I can see why the Spurs wont trade him their now. The Lakers might have to move one of their young players next year with Deng to clears space for him. I think a lot of this offseason doesn't depend on LeBron, it is Paul George. If Russ can convince him to stay in Oklahoma City, it changes everything.

Gotcha, the knicks pushed me away from basketball for a few years, until Porzi...and now this new staff sounding like Donnie Walsh 2.0...started pulling me back in. So I have no clue about any teams financial situations other than assuming that my knicks are f***ed.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

Lakers will have the money... if they make a trade for Kawhi they will be allowed to go into tax territory - & theres the chance he or PG could take less if theres a chance to from a big 3. They can always move Deng/other bad contract + 1st to a rebuilding team to create cap room.

LA will always be a destination for star players and if they get LBJ this summer you can almost guarantee they will get one or two more star players.

But if he's telling teams that he's signing with LA next summer no matter what, and so tanking his trade value to that of a pure 1-year rental, then why bother fretting over whether he goes to the lakers in the summer of 2018 or 2019? Pop's been too smart to only be doing it out of pettiness & for me not to give him the benefit of the doubt that LA isn't even offering Ingram because they are all-in on getting him next summer.

Gotcha, the knicks pushed me away from basketball for a few years, until Porzi...and now this new staff sounding like Donnie Walsh 2.0...started pulling me back in. So I have no clue about any teams financial situations other than assuming that my knicks are ****ed.

LA's appeal in trading for him now if the Spurs are the only team who can give him the 200 million super max. So if they made a move for him now, they could have him locked down. On the other hand if they wait until next summer they could possibly get him to take a discount if they already have other stars on the team.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
But if he's telling teams that he's signing with LA next summer no matter what, and so tanking his trade value to that of a pure 1-year rental, then why bother fretting over whether he goes to the lakers in the summer of 2018 or 2019? Pop's been too smart to only be doing it out of pettiness & for me not to give him the benefit of the doubt that LA isn't even offering Ingram because they are all-in on getting him next summer
Well, for starters, I don't think the Spurs care if he ends up playing for the Clippers. But I believe their preference is to keep him away from the Lakers, especially if the Lakers are able to sign LeBron James and/or Paul George.

Second, I think Pop believes he can keep him in San Antonio the same way he kept Tim Duncan and LaMarcus Aldridge. So I 100% believe that Pop doesn't feel a need to move him anywhere.

With that said, I think when it comes down to it, the Spurs will take a lesser return in order to not trade him to the Lakers, unless the Lakers come offering literally all of their young talent + picks to the point where it's stupid to turn them down. But time can change things. If the Spurs don't trade him to the Lakers now, and both George/LeBron don't sign in L.A., there's a chance Kawhi doesn't see the appeal in playing for the Lakers next summer.

Reactions: cgf

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Well, for starters, I don't think the Spurs care if he ends up playing for the Clippers. But I believe their preference is to keep him away from the Lakers, especially if the Lakers are able to sign LeBron James and/or Paul George.

Second, I think Pop believes he can keep him in San Antonio the same way he kept Tim Duncan and LaMarcus Aldridge. So I 100% believe that Pop doesn't feel a need to move him anywhere.

With that said, I think when it comes down to it, the Spurs will take a lesser return in order to not trade him to the Lakers, unless the Lakers come offering literally all of their young talent + picks to the point where it's stupid to turn them down. But time can change things. If the Spurs don't trade him to the Lakers now, and both George/LeBron don't sign in L.A., there's a chance Kawhi doesn't see the appeal in playing for the Lakers next summer.

Kawhi has a championship on his mantle. He doesn't necessarily care about how the Lakers are structured or how good the team is (hence why he'd be fine with going to the Clippers) - he wants to play in LA because its his hometown and to build himself outside of basketball. Build a brand and be more marketable. He likes the lifestyle there.

Reactions: The Night King

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

The Los Angeles Lakers re-engaged the San Antonio Spurs on Wednesday in pursuit of a trade for All-NBA forward Kawhi Leonard, league sources told ESPN.

The stakes on these talks are enormous, because a deal for Leonard would likely clinch a free agent commitment out of LeBron James. James has until late Friday night to opt-out of the final year of his contract with the Cleveland Cavaliers, and is watching closely how the Lakers proceed with the Leonard talks.

The Spurs have wanted to find a way to repair the franchise's relationship with Leonard, but an overwhelming Lakers offer could convince San Antonio to part with its franchise star, league sources said.

The price for Leonard would be substantial. The Lakers could have to surrender a combination of former first-round picks -- from Ingram, Kyle Kuzma and Josh Hart -- and future first-round picks and perhaps restricted free agent Julius Randle in a sign-and-trade agreement.

The Spurs could also push the Lakers to take an unappealing contract off their books. Those are all deal points that would be applicable to leverage, which belongs to the Spurs as long as Lakers president Magic Johnson and general manager Rob Pelinka haven't delivered yet on the promise of a blue-chip free agent.

Forget all that sending Kawhi out East stuff, the Spurs should try to take advantage of the Lakers' desperation. They're basically negotiating through ESPN now.

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
San Antonio is looking at some uncharted waters they haven't seen in quite a while. With or without Kawhi.

It doesn't matter if it's the Lakers. You take the best deal. Their situation was unsalvageable to just about everyone last season.

Reactions: Voight

LaVar

Jul 31, 2013
at this point i just want him gone. take the best return regardless of the team. too much drama for me...

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
So they are going to trade him, in conference, to their biggest rival, creating a superteam in the process? I don't think that seems likely..

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
So they are going to trade him, in conference, to their biggest rival, creating a superteam in the process? I don't think that seems likely..

I think there's something to Pop not wanting to help the Lakers because he hates them but I think they should do it if that's the best deal out there. They're not a contender anyways without Kawhi and probably can't become one within the next few years so does it really matter if there's another super team in the West? Take advantage of the Lakers' desperation and start preparing for a future that probably won't include Pop after another year or two.

Reactions: cgf and Voight

The Night King

Mar 25, 2014
California
I'm nervous about what the Lakers will do out of desperation. The Spurs are obviously not in a hurry to help the Lakers. The only way they'd make a deal quickly is if LA offers them a big package that completely guts our young core.

I might have a heart attack the next time I get a Lakers notification. :laugh:

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

If it means the best return who cares? If he is adamant about being a Laker in a year then teams in the east aren't going to offer much.

Spurs would be getting a fine collection of young talent that could very easily keep them in playoff contention, now it would be weird for them considering they've had a super star on their roster every single season for the last 30 years but guess what Kawhi doesn't care to follow The Admiral & Duncans mold. Whether that's because of his uncle or himself who knows but at the end of the day they need to take the best return and its probably going to come from the Lakers.

Its a lot of assets for them to give up but we all knew this was the end game. Sucks for a few years, build up assets and cap space and then acquire stars to start a new championship era. I imagine Kawhi signing his max extension is part of the deal plus he is a top 5/10 player when healthy so they aren't getting fleeced.

Reactions: cgf and Taylor Hall

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
If it means the best return who cares? If he is adamant about being a Laker in a year then teams in the east aren't going to offer much.

Spurs would be getting a fine collection of young talent that could very easily keep them in playoff contention, now it would be weird for them considering they've had a super star on their roster every single season for the last 30 years but guess what Kawhi doesn't care to follow The Admiral & Duncans mold. Whether that's because of his uncle or himself who knows but at the end of the day they need to take the best return and its probably going to come from the Lakers.

Its a lot of assets for them to give up but we all knew this was the end game. Sucks for a few years, build up assets and cap space and then acquire stars to start a new championship era. I imagine Kawhi signing his max extension is part of the deal plus he is a top 5/10 player when healthy so they aren't getting fleeced.

If we can gut the Lakers roster of all their up and coming studs and a bunch of potential 1st round picks, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

LeBron James isn't going to be playing forever, KL has shown he's injury prone and it might just blow up in their faces anyways. We need to think about the future of our franchise instead of the Lakers will look like.

That punk bitch is a goner in a year anyways, so might as well cash in now.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
I would be careful if I am the Lakers.

Sure getting Leonard, James and George would be great, but it could also backfired like when they got Howard and Nash. They have an exciting young core and that's what they should focus on. Move a piece or two to get PG and LBJ a third guy, sure, but don't gut the entire team for Leonard, especially not since he is coming back from injury.

I know the pressure is high in LA, but they have to be smart about it. As @Taylor Hall wrote, LBJ won't be playing forever.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
howard and nash don't even compare to KL, LBJ, or PG. howard was coming off major back surgery and didn't want to play for LA. nash was almost 40 and on his last legs

it would suck to see anyone from the lakers young core go. but if you get a player like kawhi leonard in the process you have to go for it

although i'm assuming LBJ/PG are the main targets. the only way I can see them dealing for kawhi is if they feel they won't be able to land those two. LBJ and PG together are enough, no need to go out and break up the young core for leonard if those two sign

Last edited:
Reactions: Voight

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
I understand the situations are very different, all I wanted to point out is that the risk is still there. They have a great young core, they just need to be patient. Of course, if you can get Leonard, LBJ and George, that's of course a game changer.

I would explore the possibility, I would just be careful about what price I would pay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad