Speculation: Where does Tavares end up??

Where does Tavares end up??

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs10025

Sep 28, 2017
Point taken, but that wasn't what I was trying to say. You pay more in the first few years and drop as the contract goes on to lower the overall cap hit. All I was trying to say.
The change in yearly amount paid doesn't lower the cap hit . The cap hit in based on average over the length of the deal the cap hit remains the same.

Last edited:

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Islanders.

He is not a franchise player and will not get franchise offers.

The Islanders will make a good enough offer and that will be all it takes.

Habs10025

Sep 28, 2017
Islanders.

He is not a franchise player and will not get franchise offers.

The Islanders will make a good enough offer and that will be all it takes.
He's getting an offer from Montreal they have already targeted him as a player they want and have the money and cap space to make it happen.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
I still can't believe the Islanders didn't trade him. It seems really irresponsible. Even at the deadline, he'd get 3-4 solid pieces that would help them going forward.

They were almost certainly out of the running for the playoffs and had to have some indication that Tavares intended to stick it out and test the market on July 1st. If Tavares intended to test the market, why not trade him? It wouldn't disqualify the Islanders from talking to him like everybody else on July 1st.

Any Islanders fans who are well versed in the team, what am I missing here? Is there any real justification for the Islanders not adding multiple assets at the deadline? Was Tavares stringing the team along?

Short answer? Garth Snow is a terrible GM. Long answer? Garth Snow may have reason to believe that his job is at risk if Tavares doesn't re-sign, so instead of bowing to reality and trading him at the deadline for a significant return, it's in his best interest to hold on as long as possible to take every possible chance to get Tavares back.

Reactions: LordNeverLose

member 300185

I could be wrong but I believe salaries this high aren't allowed. If the highest you can pay somebody is say 15M a year you can't give give somebody a salary over 15M in any of the 7 years of the deal
And they already have 2 ten million dollar players and one is a sub- par goalie.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
I'll make it easy...

Habs offer 11m per for 7 years
Islanders offer the same contract but with an 8th year of 9m

The Islanders contract is going to be for more money and have a lower cap hit

loudi94

Master of my Domain
Jul 8, 2003
Alberta
Question that has probably been answered before but...what if a team signs him for one year. When can they re-sign him to an 8 year deal? Could they conceivably turn a 7 year deal into 9. What are the rules?

Habs10025

Sep 28, 2017
And if the amount drops through the years, the average drops....

This isn't that difficult
The players cap hit does not change over the length of the contract . Example Shea Weber has 8 years remaining with with cap hit of 7.857 143 per yr. . The actual money he receives is much less . The next 4 years its 6 000 000 per season then 3 000 000 per the final 3 seasons he receives 1 000 000 per season with his cap hit remaining at 7,857 143 per.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
I'll make it easy...

Habs offer 11m per for 7 years
Islanders offer the same contract but with an 8th year of 9m

The Islanders contract is going to be for more money and have a lower cap hit

Once Tavares makes it to July 1st, he can't get 8 years from the Islanders anymore. I remember reading that somewhere.
He's also 100% sure going to July 1st, otherwise he wouldve signed a contract by now.

The habs could offer 12+ mil to Tavares no problem.
I don't think the Islanders owner will be willing to go that far

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
And if the amount drops through the years, the average drops....

This isn't that difficult
No it doesn't.The cap hit remains the same throughout the contract. The only thing that changes is the yearly money being paid out.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Once Tavares makes it to July 1st, he can't get 8 years from the Islanders anymore. I remember reading that somewhere.
He's also 100% sure going to July 1st, otherwise he wouldve signed a contract by now.

The 8 year thing is true, which is why Stamkos signed like 2 days before July 1(ie he saw what was out there then decided to resign with Tampa)

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Question that has probably been answered before but...what if a team signs him for one year. When can they re-sign him to an 8 year deal? Could they conceivably turn a 7 year deal into 9. What are the rules?

I could be wrong but I believe if somebody signs him July 1 to a 1 year deal he can't sign a new deal will Jan 1, 2019

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
Surprised Devils didn’t get more votes. I am not not sure about geographic layout of the NY /NJ area , but would J.T. be able to live where he currently is and still have a reasonable commute to The Rock and practice facility? I may be totally off and it might be like a 3 hour commute ???

Devils could give him a blank cheque , wouldn’t have the media circus around him like Montreal etc. , could walk down the street in NY or whatever posh neighbourhood is close to Devils arena without getting bothered.

Devils as close to competitive as other teams on the list . Teams that are serious contenders are already stacked and don’t have the $$$. If they do... would create huge headaches once all their ELC studs are due for a payday.

With sudden C depth
J.T.
Nico
Zacha
Zajac
Can trade combo of McLeod / Quinville , 1st , Severson for E Karlsson or OEL and call it an off-season lol. Maybe toss in JVR while we are at it (dreaming).
Boom , contender . If only it was that easy ......one can dream .

Last edited:

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
The players cap hit does not change over the length of the contract . Example Shea Weber has 8 years remaining with with cap hit of 7.857 143 per yr. . The actual money he receives is much less . The next 4 years its 6 000 000 per season then 3 000 000 per the final 3 seasons he receives 1 000 000 per season with his cap hit remaining at 7,857 143 per.

You don't understand what I'm saying. All you just did was prove my point.

Yes, he's "100% going to July 1st" just like he said he was going to (not) and just like everyone that is currently a upcoming UFA will (not) and just like Stamkos did (not). You're basing this off of what, exactly? The sorry hope that he might actually want to sign in one of the very few places that are more dysfunctional than Long Island? The Habs could offer three times that, he isn't going to sign there. You do not have a shot in hell of signing John Tavares, it would be one of the last places he would want to sign. He's not out for money, and he doesn't want to live under the microscope.

Lets come back to this after he makes a decision and see who was right?

No it doesn't.The cap hit remains the same throughout the contract. The only thing that changes is the yearly money being paid out.

No sh*t!

Instant

Feb 20, 2018

Yes, once he makes it to July 1st, the Isles can't offer him 8 years anymore. But you do realize Tavares can meet and talk with other teams BEFORE July 1st, right? It's called 'interview period' and it starts a few days before 1st. He can meet with other teams, listen to their offers and still decide to go back to the Islanders and get the 8 years. Or even do a sign and trade, which sounds crazy, but I learned everything is possible with the Isles.

So I wouldn't be 100% sure he's gonna make it to July 1st.

Habs10025

Sep 28, 2017
You don't understand what I'm saying. All you just did was prove my point.

Yes, he's "100% going to July 1st" just like he said he was going to (not) and just like everyone that is currently a upcoming UFA will (not) and just like Stamkos did (not). You're basing this off of what, exactly? The sorry hope that he might actually want to sign in one of the very few places that are more dysfunctional than Long Island? The Habs could offer three times that, he isn't going to sign there. You do not have a shot in hell of signing John Tavares, it would be one of the last places he would want to sign. He's not out for money, and he doesn't want to live under the microscope.

Lets come back to this after he makes a decision and see who was right?

No sh*t!

John Tavares may stay with the New York Islanders or he might leave no one on here knows the answer.
Its very doubtful any team makes a bigger financial offer to him than Montreal.

If playing for a contending team is the deciding factor he isn't staying with the New York Islanders or signing with Montreal.

Odds are a team like Pittsburgh make a couple trades in the summer trading Brassard , Hagelin clearing 7 000 000 in cap space and with the cap going to 80 000 000 will have enough to offer Tavares and have him sign.

Pittsburgh Penguins -- John Tavares gets his money and he gets to play for a team that's a contender every season.

Last edited:

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
John Tavares may stay with the New York Islanders or he might leave no one on here knows the answer.
Its very doubtful any team makes a bigger financial offer to him than Montreal.

If playing for a contending team is the deciding factor he isn't staying with the New York Islanders or signing with Montreal.

Odds are a team like Pittsburgh make a couple trades in the summer trading Brassard , Hagelin clearing 7 000 000 in cap space and with the cap going to 80 000 000 will have enough to offer Tavares and have him sign.

Pittsburgh Penguins -- John Tavares gets his money and he gets to play for a team that's a contender every season.
No Leaf fan would willfully play for Montreal

Instant

Feb 20, 2018
Montreal offers 98 000 000
14 000 000 per 7 years
Tavares being a leaf fan won't matter

You want to make it about the money? Vegas offers him $12M per year and he still makes 600k more per year than in Montreal at $14M.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad