Speculation: Where does Tavares end up??

Where does Tavares end up??

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs10025

Sep 28, 2017
You want to make it about the money? Vegas offers him $12M per year and he still makes 600k more per year than in Montreal at $14M.
Montreal management offer him the max 20 % 16 000 000 per Ownership/Management are under pressure to improve the team. Molson already stated Tavares is a player they want 2 000 000 more per year makes no difference to Montreal.

Last edited:

Instant

Feb 20, 2018
Montreal management offer him the max 20 % 16 000 000 per Ownership/Management are under pressure to improve the team. Molson already stated Tavares is a player they want 2 000 000 more per year makes no difference to Montreal.

Because what Montreal really needs is another huge long term contract... Lord no. Also, it would be extremely stupid on Tavares' part, because with him at $16M Montreal isn't able to do anything to improve the team further and he's in another shitty situation. I don't think he stays with the Islanders, but why on earth would he go to an even bigger dumpster fire when half a league would welcome him with an open arms and a big check?

Besides, it doesn't matter how much Montreal will offer him - because of the higher taxes, both Florida teams, Nashville, Vegas and Dallas (and by no means I'm saying they are all interested in Tavares) can offer him less money, but because of the lower taxes he will get to keep more of the money.

So, since I already took Vegas as an example, let's say Montreal gives him $16M. He makes what, around $7.49M per year. Vegas gives him $12.5M per year and he makes $7.59M. And guess which of these contracts handicaps the team less.

Habs10025

Sep 28, 2017
Because what Montreal really needs is another huge long term contract... Lord no. Also, it would be extremely stupid on Tavares' part, because with him at $16M Montreal isn't able to do anything to improve the team further and he's in another ****ty situation. I don't think he stays with the Islanders, but why on earth would he go to an even bigger dumpster fire when half a league would welcome him with an open arms and a big check?

Besides, it doesn't matter how much Montreal will offer him - because of the higher taxes, both Florida teams, Nashville, Vegas and Dallas (and by no means I'm saying they are all interested in Tavares) can offer him less money, but because of the lower taxes he will get to keep more of the money.

So, since I already took Vegas as an example, let's say Montreal gives him $16M. He makes what, around $7.49M per year. Vegas gives him $12.5M per year and he makes $7.59M. And guess which of these contracts handicaps the team less.
Montreal will offer 7 years 98 000 000 - 14 000 000 per if Tavares wants to play elsewhere so be it .

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Because what Montreal really needs is another huge long term contract... Lord no. Also, it would be extremely stupid on Tavares' part, because with him at $16M Montreal isn't able to do anything to improve the team further and he's in another ****ty situation. I don't think he stays with the Islanders, but why on earth would he go to an even bigger dumpster fire when half a league would welcome him with an open arms and a big check?

As a Leaf fan I am hoping he wants to play in his home town. Leafs are trending up, he wants to win and if it is not all about the money, why doesn't Toronto make the most sense ?

Habs10025

Sep 28, 2017
As a Leaf fan I am hoping he wants to play in his home town. Leafs are trending up, he wants to win and if it is not all about the money, why doesn't Toronto make the most sense ?
He might sign with Boston and really stick it to Habs and Leafs fans.

Reactions: Estlin

The Note in MI

Bow to the pyramid
Aug 21, 2013
Muskegon, MI
Montreal will offer 7 years 98 000 000 - 14 000 000 per if Tavares wants to play elsewhere so be it .
I just don't know why you would pay him so much, you already have Price and Weber's contracts to endure. Sure you have the cap space but maybe it should be used to add more pieces than just one. He's not going to instantly fix your depth issues.

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
Please come to Colorado JT.

Great place to live. No microscope. Good, and very young budding team. Low taxes. And Nathan Mackinnon to ease the pressure.

Oh, and cap space coming out of our ears.

Habs10025

Sep 28, 2017
I just don't know why you would pay him so much, you already have Price and Weber's contracts to endure. Sure you have the cap space but maybe it should be used to add more pieces than just one. He's not going to instantly fix your depth issues.
Montreal need a center and Weber is owed 30 000 000 over the next 8 years. Yes the cap hit is 7.857 143 per but doesn't have a no trade or movement clause if things turn to crap with Webers play they can make that salary disappear.

The Note in MI

Bow to the pyramid
Aug 21, 2013
Muskegon, MI
There's a team, I think their name is the Blackhawks. They have three large contracts, and for some reason they seem to be struggling to fit things in.

Why handcuff your team with those contracts?
Stills begs the question why he leaves the island if he is going to the same situation.

Reactions: LordNeverLose

Instant

Feb 20, 2018

Sure. But let's end this "Montreal can offer him the biggest amount of money" thing and that will make him forget how many big contracts they have, how good (or not) the team is and of course everything about the wonderful hockey media you guys have up there.

Because it's not all about the money, but it's not like it isn't about the money at all and I don't think Toronto is able come up north of $11M without losing one of their young players. Besides, don't you guys need an upgrade on the D?

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Montreal need a center and Weber is owed 30 000 000 over the next 8 years. Yes the cap hit is 7.857 143 per but doesn't have a no trade or movement clause if things turn to crap with Webers play they can make that salary disappear.
So now a possible Weberless Montreal. Isnt Weber a selling point?

Habs10025

Sep 28, 2017
So now a possible Weberless Montreal. Isnt Weber a selling point?
Weber now is at worst a # 2 D if in the future 3 , 4 , 5 years from now the can get ride of they contract .
Lets say this summer Management/ Ownership decide to trade Weber and are unable.
They can simple buy him out at 2/3 of his remaining 8 years 30 000 000 owed to him which would be 20 000 000 paid over 16 years. 1 250 000 cap hit per season

The Weber contract isn't a problem for the team now or in the future .

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Sure. But let's end this "Montreal can offer him the biggest amount of money" thing and that will make him forget how many big contracts they have, how good (or not) the team is and of course everything about the wonderful hockey media you guys have up there.

Because it's not all about the money, but it's not like it isn't about the money at all and I don't think Toronto is able come up north of $11M without losing one of their young players. Besides, don't you guys need an upgrade on the D?

Yes, we do need an upgrade on D but you don't pass on JT if he says he wants to come home. Love JT but teams on the cusp of winning may find it hard to fit him in north of $11m without shuffling the deck.

SoulDynasty

Jan 25, 2017
Ottawa
Weber now is at worst a # 2 D if in the future 3 , 4 , 5 years from now the can get ride of they contract .
Lets say this summer Management/ Ownership decide to trade Weber and are unable.
They can simple buy him out at 2/3 of his remaining 8 years 30 000 000 owed to him which would be 20 000 000 paid over 16 years. 1 250 000 cap hit per season

The Weber contract isn't a problem for the team now or in the future .

Then what is the point of bringing in Tavares? You’ll end up just going in a circle.

Right now: Need 1C, 2C, top pair D, depth
Your scenario: Need 2C, two top pairing D, depth

You’ll end up exactly where you are now. Not a smart strategy for a city with a “win or GTFO” mantra.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
As good as Weber is now, his age and contract will be difficult sell to any team, especially if Montreal expects to get a good return.
This year there are few good UFA dman available, but next year there are "lots" (unless they are resigned early).

Wouldn't a team like who might have free cap money, sign a UFA for 7.8m and then they don't have to trade any their young cheap assets or picks?

The Leafs seem to be the favourite target in a trade. Let's imagine the Leafs have 7.8m in long term UFA money to spend. Maybe the Leafs who also need a good centre might overpay for Stastny for three years and keep their assets that would be needed to satisfy Montreal trade demands. Trading high priced players, not just Weber is difficult unless, similar amount of cap sent back in a trade.

Habs10025

Sep 28, 2017
Then what is the point of bringing in Tavares? You’ll end up just going in a circle.

Right now: Need 1C, 2C, top pair D, depth
Your scenario: Need 2C, two top pairing D, depth

You’ll end up exactly where you are now. Not a smart strategy for a city with a “win or GTFO” mantra.
Weber isn't a problem for the team and neither is his contract if he plays the remaining 8 seasons in Montreal then great if the team wants to make a change they can and are able to .

Instant

Feb 20, 2018
Yes, we do need an upgrade on D but you don't pass on JT if he says he wants to come home. Love JT but teams on the cusp of winning may find it hard to fit him in north of $11m without shuffling the deck.

There are a few that could do that, there are a few that could do that with a bit of shuffling but without losing core players. And I don't pretend I know your cap situation better than you, but could the Leafs keep the Marner/Matthews/Nylander core, improve the defence and sign Tavares for $12M per year? Because I don't think so.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
There are a few that could do that, there are a few that could do that with a bit of shuffling but without losing core players. And I don't pretend I know your cap situation better than you, but could the Leafs keep the Marner/Matthews/Nylander core, improve the defence and sign Tavares for $12M per year? Because I don't think so.

We could fit JT next year at $12M but we would be fighting the cap the subsequent years. Vegas and NJ are two teams that could fit him in at $12 but personally I don't think he commands McDavid money. I would be interested at Toews and Kane money.

RomanianLeafs

Apr 14, 2009
Arad
Thats because Tranta couldnt afford him, and you hate Montreal. lol
But he will be coming to Montreal. Now seriously /thread
lol i hate montreal? how do u know this? because i am leafs fan? actually i have no feelings towards montreal..the teams that i hate are Bruins and Oilers because of their fanbase..

Instant

Feb 20, 2018
We could fit JT next year at $12M but we would be fighting the cap the subsequent years. Vegas and NJ are two teams that could fit him in at $12 but personally I don't think he commands McDavid money. I would be interested at Toews and Kane money.

I don't have time now to look for it, but there was a rumor he's looking for around $12.5M per year. We'll see if that's true or not. But I also have to say I don't see him going to Toronto of all the places.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad