Speculation: Where does PLDs contract end up at?

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Can’t he sign anytime this season? I thought you only had to wait to January 1st if you were on a 1 year deal?

I thought the Jan 1st thing was for the last year of any deal but I could be wrong as there have been a few extensions announced post season start date this year.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I thought the Jan 1st thing was for the last year of any deal but I could be wrong as there have been a few extensions announced post season start date this year.
I’m pretty sure you can re-sign July 1 on a multi year deal and January 1 if on a 1 year deal.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Wheeler isn't going anywhere this year, that's a given.
I still say a line of Stastny Lowry Wheeler would be a really good line.
Thank God Chevy signed him to only 5 years...
A chunk of Wheeler's money will go to re-signing Scheif. Their contracts end at the same time.

As far as PLD goes, we're a much better team with him in the lineup vs. Laine. 7 x 8m.

edit ... I'd retain 50% and add Heinola for Boeser without thinking twice about it. After this season, they'd have to add a 2nd. That or I'd trade him to one of his 5? teams he picks but...he isn't going anywhere.

Last edited:

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
I'd go shorter term on PLD. You're not going to get 8 years of effort out of that guy.

Wouldnt surprise me if he was looking at the 5 year deal that a lot of RFA's have opted for

They basically get paid 90% of the AAV of an 8 year deal and get an even bigger payday in their prime after some salary cap inflation

Chevy isn't Dubas, but he may have to bend a little more than usual. Wouldn't surprise me if it was a 5 year, 40 mil type deal.

So much time left in the season, but this new PLD doesnt look like he is going back to last year's version yet

Dubois may be bound to cool off a bit, but my god, how much really is too much for a two way, point a game center that is physical...

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Wouldnt surprise me if he was looking at the 5 year deal that a lot of RFA's have opted for

They basically get paid 90% of the AAV of an 8 year deal and get an even bigger payday in their prime after some salary cap inflation

Chevy isn't Dubas, but he may have to bend a little more than usual. Wouldn't surprise me if it was a 5 year, 40 mil type deal.

So much time left in the season, but this new PLD doesnt look like he is going back to last year's version yet

Dubois may be bound to cool off a bit, but my god, how much really is too much for a two way, point a game center that is physical...
I agree with you on the 5 years, and I think you are also close on the AAV. I'll call 5 X $7.8 M. I also think Chevy pushes to get it done well before the end of the season.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
I'm going to be the outlier in predictions here if only for giggles/devil's advocate aspect.

I think PLD decides he likes the organization after having been in Columbus for a while. His parents are here, at least short term and you know likely longer if PLD signs longer. He's found his stride, he's enjoying his linemates and is playing well.

At 24 years of age I agree the smart thing for him to do is sign for five for slightly less money. Lets him come out of the deal at 29 as UFA. But do sweetheart retirement deals still come around for most players? Maybe for two way 1C but we've seen a substantial shift away from those retirement loaded deals for non-peak years and the shift to the young studs coming off their ELCs. So I don't know if that deal is there moving forward in the league unless the GM is not really paying attention.

Enter the Chevy factor. Wheeler notwithstanding most players of significance on the Jets have been signed to pretty sweet deals. (Even Wheeler wasn't a horrible deal, relative to what he may have obtained in free agency from another team - there are far worse GMs out there - the back end of the deal was likely to look like an overpay regardless of where he signed). I expect Chevy will sweet talk or whatever he does with Dubois and the deal is going to be longer term, taking him out to 31 or so. Still potential to re-sign with the team or move on in free agency for a pretty decent salary and a 4-5 year term. So I'm going to say ballpark $60 million deal for 7 years. That's around $8.4 per year. Chevy may work it down a bit. Dubois may work it up a bit.

I know I'm not thinking of this like an NHL hockey player, but how much money do you really need? From what I can see in his first five years he's made about $15M. Signing a $60M deal for 7 years and even a bad deal for the next 4-5 years he earns another $20M. That's 85 million dollars over your career. If you like where you're playing are you really going to gamble on a shorter deal? What if you end up like Bryan Little? I dunno, I'd go with the security.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
5 years $40 million would be good numbers for me. He is going to be the #1 centre. Money is available through atrrition (Copp and Stastny), though if Copp walks, I'd bring Stats back for another go, maybe get Appleton back from Seattle to replace the PK element. And move Dillon (replaced with Samberg).

Reactions: GNP

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
5 years $40 million would be good numbers for me. He is going to be the #1 centre. Money is available through atrrition (Copp and Stastny), though if Copp walks, I'd bring Stats back for another go, maybe get Appleton back from Seattle to replace the PK element. And move Dillon (replaced with Samberg).

Samberg is going to have to show a lot on the Moose this year for me to even entertain replacing Dillion with him.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Samberg is going to have to show a lot on the Moose this year for me to even entertain replacing Dillion with him.

I think he's of the same mold, and early in the year we are seeing that Dillon and Pionk are the most porous of pairs, I think having a guy who Pionk trains offseason with might be the solution. But it's possible to keep him, just wouldn't bring Stats back, who for me, is a playoff hero.

Conceivably forward group could be:

Connor-Dubois-Ehlers
Perfetti-Scheif-Wheeler
Harkins-Lowry-? (this is where I think Appleton replaces Copp)
Vesalainen-Gustafsson-Svetchnikov?

And that's still pretty good, and I think the number would work, but the margin would be thin, again.

If Samberg has a spot to win it's Dillon's in my opion. Whereas Heinola would replace Schmidt, but by how well Josh has played this year, that's a tougher one to convince me of a seamless transition.

Reactions: surixon

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I think he's of the same mold, and early in the year we are seeing that Dillon and Pionk are the most porous of pairs, I think having a guy who Pionk trains offseason with might be the solution. But it's possible to keep him, just wouldn't bring Stats back, who for me, is a playoff hero.

Conceivably forward group could be:

Connor-Dubois-Ehlers
Perfetti-Scheif-Wheeler
Harkins-Lowry-? (this is where I think Appleton replaces Copp)
Vesalainen-Gustafsson-Svetchnikov?

And that's still pretty good, and I think the number would work, but the margin would be thin, again.

If Samberg has a spot to win it's Dillon's in my opion. Whereas Heinola would replace Schmidt, but by how well Josh has played this year, that's a tougher one to convince me of a seamless transition.

Heinola likely starts on the bottom pairing next season Imo. I think Stanley should have enough experience by then to play effectively with him. Ville will eventually replace Schmidt but I'd say not for a couple of seasons.

I think DeMelo is the odd man out next year as we likely need his cap space.

Reactions: Mathil8

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Good debates and points made on both 5 year or 7-8 type deals.

A few elements I am considering:

Schiefele will turn 29 this March, he has this season and two more under contract. He will be 31 going into his next contact. I’ll cross that deal when we come to it but I generally hate the “time to get paid” deals for 31-32 year olds.

Will Perfetti turn into a 1-2 “centre”? He is going to be in our top 6 but at what position?

This season is spoiling me and I love having two #1 centres.

PLD is riding a hot streak, let’s see how the entire year plays out but he is obviously living up to the bill of a 1a centre currently.

I do have faith in Chevy and his team on contract negotiations. They aren’t perfect but they are pretty good.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad