Speculation: Where does PLDs contract end up at?

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
yeah, an injury would be the only way for them to prove it right now because we are in win now mode, were not going to get rid of someone we know can play in top4 for someone who might be able to play in the top 4 just to keep our bottom pairing defensemen
Theoretically then we shouldn’t move anyone as we aren’t going to move our bottom pairing d for a prospect that may be able to come in and play bottom pair. Also Dillion’s numbers don’t suggest he is doing it well.

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
Theoretically then we shouldn’t move anyone as we aren’t going to move our bottom pairing d for a prospect that may be able to come in and play bottom pair. Also Dillion’s numbers don’t suggest he is doing it well.
big difference between someone coming in and playing on the bottom pairing then playing in the top 4, highly highly doubt chevy traded 2 2nd's for dillon just to try and trade him the very next season, our top 4 is set for the next 3 years and the only move we would do on d would be the bottom pairing, also dillon's been fine

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
big difference between someone coming in and playing on the bottom pairing then playing in the top 4, highly highly doubt chevy traded 2 2nd's for dillon just to try and trade him the very next season, our top 4 is set for the next 3 years and the only move we would do on d would be the bottom pairing
Then we might as well move Heinola and Samberg if there is absolutely no chance they’ll get a top 4 spot in the next 3 years.
After all the way Heinola is touted he’d bring back a nice return now, but, no one is interested in a guy who was touted as a hot prospect if they can’t crack the team 3 years in.
Also it’s a win if you can trade Dillion a year later for a 1st.
Also no one is coming in to play top 4. Stanley would be making a natural progression after putting up good numbers in bottom pair.

Reactions: surixon

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Seems ballpark reasonable. Now can the cap geniuses on the board tell us how that fits?

I can't think of anyone coming off the books that makes it easy. I assume Copp is gone because we cannot pay him AND Dubois.

If Perfetti is ready next season, I guess that fills the gap in one way or another.

Do we re-sign Statsny and if so at $3+ again?

Boo-boo is likely gone but most of his salary is picked up by bringing up Samberg or Heinola (btw, how do we fit both those guys in next year when everyone other than Boo-Boo is signed?)

Svechnikov, Harkins, Nash, Vesalainen all need to be signed. Nobody too expensive there but Svech might be due for a raise. Let someone go (Nash but VETZ) and bring up someone from the A? No real savings there.

Depends on if they want to bring back Copp. If they do they will need to move out a dmen. DeMelo/Dillion will likely be dealt for cap purposes.

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
Then we might as well move Heinola and Samberg if there is absolutely no chance they’ll get a top 4 spot in the next 3 years.
After all the way Heinola is touted he’d bring back a nice return now, but, no one is interested in a guy who was touted as a hot prospect if they can’t crack the team 3 years in.
Also no one is coming in to play top 4. Stanley would be making a natural progression after putting up good numbers in bottom pair.
why would we have to move them? they are waiver exempt we arn't forced to do so and they can just start on the bottom pair soon and then work there way up the line up then

Reactions: Jets 31

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

Next year Heinola will be the same age JoMo was when he cracked the Jets and I expect Ville will also crack the team at that age.

Reactions: thereturn

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Next year Heinola will be the same age JoMo was when he cracked the Jets and I expect Ville will also crack the team at that age.
But morrissey was able to start with buff and even as a young d had a much easier path than ville will have. We also weren’t in a win mode then.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
why would we have to move them? they are waiver exempt we arn't forced to do so and they can just start on the bottom pair soon and then work there way up the line up then
They can’t both start in Demelo’s spot if we move only one d. There is also the fact they are both rhd. Also is it good value to keep a guy like ville on 3rd pairing so long? Let’s say he is worth a mid 1st right now or a guy who can come in and play 3rd line over stas or ves. Keeping ville to play 3rd pair on his offside is not worth it if there is no chance he’ll be anything more in the next 3 years.

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
They can’t both start in Demelo’s spot if we move only one d. There is also the fact they are both rhd. Also is it good value to keep a guy like ville on 3rd pairing so long? Let’s say he is worth a mid 1st right now or a guy who can come in and play 3rd line over stas or ves. Keeping ville to play 3rd pair on his offside is not worth it if there is no chance he’ll be anything more in the next 3 years.
both samberg and heinola have played the right side and can battle stanley for 2 of the 3 spots, just because were trying to win now and they will most likely not crack our top 4 right now doesn't mean they can't get there later

Reactions: thereturn

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
both samberg and heinola have played the right side and can battle stanley for 2 of the 3 spots, just because were trying to win now and they will most likely not crack our top 4 right now doesn't mean they can't get there later
Hopefully something happens so Stanley gets 5 games on the second pairing this season so we know whether he can play it or not.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
But morrissey was able to start with buff and even as a young d had a much easier path than ville will have. We also weren’t in a win mode then.

The cap will force moves on the dcore at some point. If Dubois makes $8 plus million starting next year something has to give especially if they want to bring back Copp at $5.5 million.

Yes they are trying to win but they will need very good players on ELC's to push the team over the top like in 2017-18 when Morrissey, Laine, Conner were on the ELC'S and helped push us over the top.

Reactions: GNP

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
The cap will force moves on the dcore at some point. If Dubois makes $8 plus million starting next year something has to give especially if they want to bring back Copp at $5.5 million.

Yes they are trying to win but they will need very good players on ELC's to push the team over the top like in 2017-18 when Morrissey, Laine, Conner were on the ELC'S and helped push us over the top.
I think Copp is really more replaceable through a combo of Gus and Perfetti than Schmidt, Pionk, demelo, mo.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I think Copp is really more replaceable through a combo of Gus and Perfetti than Schmidt, Pionk, demelo, mo.

Sure but the org likes Copp and he's part of the leadership group. They will make an attempt to keep him imo. Cole takes Stastny's spot and Gus will take Nash's next season imo.

Well JoMo and Pionk aren't going anywhere as they are the two pillars of the dcore. Schmidt has fit in great with Josh so he likely is also not going anywhere. Dillion hasn't been great here yet and DeMelo makes way too much to play on our third pairing as good as he is. There will be an open spot Ville next year.

With regards to Samberg, we'll he hasn't shown anywhere near the ability as a pro yet to show he's close to challenging for a spot. I see him as being trade bait at some point.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
Sure but the org likes Copp and he's part of the leadership group. They will make an attempt to keep him imo. Cole takes Stastny's spot and Gus will take Nash's next season imo.

Well JoMo and Pionk aren't going anywhere as they are the two pillars of the dcore. Schmidt has fit in great with Josh so he likely is also not going anywhere. Dillion hasn't been great here yet and DeMelo makes way too much to play on our third pairing as good as he is. There will be an open spot Ville next year.

With regards to Samberg, we'll he hasn't shown anywhere near the ability as a pro yet to show he's close to challenging for a spot. I see him as being trade bait at some point.

There'll be an open spot for Ville when he's ready - he wasn't this year, not by a long shot, so there's no reason to assume he will be next year.
If the Jet's are truly in "win now" mode, they won't be overly concerned about a $3M dman (who is very solid) taking up too much of the cap or blocking a guy that isn't ready.

Samberg is a wild card - I wouldn't count him out. It could be Ville that is the odd man out considering the Jets have a few offensive dmen in the lineup already.

We really don't know how this will shake out - but back to the topic at hand, I don't see the blue line playing a role in opening up $'s for a PLD contract.

thai jet

Aug 13, 2021
Winnipeg

Only if he is extended soon. Wait till season end it could be a $10m AAV. He is easily our best player. Schiefele can't carry this guy's jock. He is the one who should be given Team Canada consideration. This guy is the real deal. In the off season Wheeler can be traded. It would take a big add on but needs to be done. Right now that is a really bad contract.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Only if he is extended soon. Wait till season end it could be a $10m AAV. He is easily our best player. Schiefele can't carry this guy's jock. He is the one who should be given Team Canada consideration. This guy is the real deal. In the off season Wheeler can be traded. It would take a big add on but needs to be done. Right now that is a really bad contract.
Jesus, Scheifele was waaaaaaay better than PLD last year and is still a very good 1st line center, it's been 13 games so far, lets give Scheifele a little more leeway than that. Dubois was awful last year but i didn't think he was a bust , he just needed more time with the team. Why can't we have 2 good centers instead of saying Scheifele is crap , Scheifele will get it going soon. As far as the question of how much Dubois will get i think they offer the exact same contract as Connor, 8 million for 7 years. That's providing Dubois keeps playing like he is.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I don’t think PLD has passed Mark. Scheif is just slumping and it happens to all players. That being said the year Mark really kicked the door down and officially passed Little he was 23 and Litt’s was 28. This season PLD is 23 and Mark is 28.

Now Mark is a far better scorer than Bryan ever was and Bryan picked up an injury which opened the door.

One thing I do know is PLD is definitely playing the #1 centre spot very well right now and nobody is replacing him including Scheifele when he returns to form. We know Mark is a very well established #1 centre. That means we may have the dubious distinction of having 2 x #1 centres.

That would be a delicious problem.

GeorgeJETson

Hnidy probably has us on his no trade list
Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016
Seems ballpark reasonable. Now can the cap geniuses on the board tell us how that fits?

I can't think of anyone coming off the books that makes it easy. I assume Copp is gone because we cannot pay him AND Dubois.

If Perfetti is ready next season, I guess that fills the gap in one way or another.

Do we re-sign Statsny and if so at $3+ again?

Boo-boo is likely gone but most of his salary is picked up by bringing up Samberg or Heinola (btw, how do we fit both those guys in next year when everyone other than Boo-Boo is signed?)

Svechnikov, Harkins, Nash, Vesalainen all need to be signed. Nobody too expensive there but Svech might be due for a raise. Let someone go (Nash but VETZ) and bring up someone from the A? No real savings there.

I'm no genius, but I suspect that one of Stats or Copp won't be returning next season. Their salary will probably cover PLD's raise

The cap is going up slightly next season, but I don't know how much. That should allow for a league minimum replacement or thereabouts (Perfetti?).

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
Jesus, Scheifele was waaaaaaay better than PLD last year and is still a very good 1st line center, it's been 13 games so far, lets give Scheifele a little more leeway than that. Dubois was awful last year but i didn't think he was a bust , he just needed more time with the team. Why can't we have 2 good centers instead of saying Scheifele is crap , Scheifele will get it going soon. As far as the question of how much Dubois will get i think they offer the exact same contract as Connor, 8 million for 7 years. That's providing Dubois keeps playing like he is.
Agree with your comments about Scheifele. Also agree that the Connor contract would be team-friendly template for PLD, but that is ~$7.15M for 7 years. Wheeler is our only $8M man so far, and I suspect PLD's side will not hold out for every last penny from the Jets, given how great a fit Winnipeg is for him, his career and his family.

Last edited:

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Agree with your comments about Scheifele. Also agree that the Connor contract would be team-friendly template for PLD, but that is ~$7.15M for 7 years. Wheeler is our only $8M man so far, and I suspect PLD's side will not hold out for every last penny from the Jets, given how great a fit Winnipeg is for him, his career and his family.
Sorry you are correct i........:laugh:

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
There'll be an open spot for Ville when he's ready - he wasn't this year, not by a long shot, so there's no reason to assume he will be next year.
If the Jet's are truly in "win now" mode, they won't be overly concerned about a $3M dman (who is very solid) taking up too much of the cap or blocking a guy that isn't ready.

Samberg is a wild card - I wouldn't count him out. It could be Ville that is the odd man out considering the Jets have a few offensive dmen in the lineup already.

We really don't know how this will shake out - but back to the topic at hand, I don't see the blue line playing a role in opening up $'s for a PLD contract.

You clearly like your D men big, but size isn't everything in today's NHL.

Ville is an extremely talented D-man who had a bad training camp. I'd say there would be every reason to assume he will be ready next year. The only problem with Ville is his size, which will make it harder to fit into our top-4 .

Samberg has not shown nearly the same NHL readiness as Heinola in his time on the Moose. He is big and has skill, but has not stood out in the AHL.

Back to Dillon--he is a $4M dman--3.9 to be exact--which makes him exactly $3M more than his potential replacement, Stanley. That $3M, along with Stastny's $3.75, could make it possible to afford Copp and Dubois.

There is a reason Dillon was left unprotected by Washington. Aside from size, hasn't added much to the Jets D in general or to Pink's game in particular. . And at 31 years of age, he is on the far side of the curve.

Last edited:

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
You clearly like your D men big, but size isn't everything in today's NHL.

Ville is an extremely talented D-man who had a bad training camp. I'd say there would be every reason to assume he will be ready next year. The only problem with Ville is his size, which will make it harder to fit into our top-4 .

Samberg has not shown nearly the same NHL readiness as Heinola in his time on the Moose. He is big and has skill, but has not stood out in the AHL.

Back to Dillon--he is a $4M dman--3.9 to be exact--which makes him exactly $3M more than his potential replacement, Stanley. That $3M, along with Stastny's $3.75, could make it possible to afford Copp, Dubois and Dubois.

There is a reason Dillon was left unprotected by Washington. Aside from size, hasn't added much to the Jets D in general or to Pink's game in particular. . And at 31 years of age, he is on the far side of the curve.
Ooh I would love two Dubois as I think he’d also be great with Lowry and ves.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad