Speculation: Where does PLDs contract end up at?

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
Who was ready to pay big money to Laine? I wasn’t in that category. I’d pay to keep PLD however. He makes us a much better team.
Ill always remember that Hextall on hockey segment where she said something like sign Laine 8*11M. I nearly had a stroke.

I'm equally wary of PLD though......he's playing for $ right now, wouldn't be surprised to see him disappear for a few years.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Some comps that could be used for third contracts for Dubois:

Johansen 8 x $8 million 10.67% of cap
Couture 5 x $6 million or 9.33% of cap
Kuznetsov 8 x $7.8 million or 10.40% of cap
Point 8 x $9.5 million or 11.66 % of cap
Schenn 4 x $5.2 million or 7.02 % of cap
Hertl 4 x $5.625 million or 7.08 % of cap

So if we go long term off a bridge then I would expect him to come in around Johansen and Kuznetsov's deals so:

$8.5 to $8.7

If its 5 years around Couture's deal which would be $7.7 million

This is great digging. All of Chevy's big signings seem a little bit higher than we are hoping for at the time, but seem to age like fine wine over time

This $8.5-8.7M seems pretty in line with that. Cap isn't going to stay flat forever.

Anything under 10 is a bargain down the road if he sniffs a point a game over the full year. Thankfully for the hockey team, Chevy isnt as generous as me :laugh:

Reactions: ps241 and GNP

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Wasn’t he a 1c for Columbus?

In the traditional sense yeah he was Columbus' 1C, until they got Duchene and he slotted down to 2C. But I mean more of his overall impact on the ice isn't what I would have considered true #1C territory. I think at that time on most teams he would have been a much better option as a 2C on a team that is looking to contend. Right now he is looking like a 1C period and if he keeps it up for the rest of the year and then of course has that follow up prove it season. Then yeah he's a 1C now.

Reactions: GNP

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
In the traditional sense yeah he was Columbus' 1C, until they got Duchene and he slotted down to 2C. But I mean more of his overall impact on the ice isn't what I would have considered true #1C territory. I think at that time on most teams he would have been a much better option as a 2C on a team that is looking to contend. Right now he is looking like a 1C period and if he keeps it up for the rest of the year and then of course has that follow up prove it season. Then yeah he's a 1C now.

His impact at 5 on 5 was number 1C level each of his last two seasons in Columbus. He just didn't get that many PP points.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
This is great digging. All of Chevy's big signings seem a little bit higher than we are hoping for at the time, but seem to age like fine wine over time

This $8.5-8.7M seems pretty in line with that. Cap isn't going to stay flat forever.

Anything under 10 is a bargain down the road if he sniffs a point a game over the full year. Thankfully for the hockey team, Chevy isnt as generous as me :laugh:
Wheeler is the only player over paid. Most of Chevy’s contracts are team friendly.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Wheeler is the only player over paid. Most of Chevy’s contracts are team friendly.

Yup now that Morrissey is back playing at a top pairing level his contract is also looking very good. I'll gladly pay 6.25 million for a real good all around dmen that will also get 40 to 45 points especially in light of the other crazy contracts signed to dmen lately.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Yup now that Morrissey is back playing at a top pairing level his contract is also looking very good. I'll gladly pay 6.25 million for a real good all around dmen that will also get 40 to 45 points especially in light of the other crazy contracts signed to dmen lately.

I think the wiser people on here knew he was still Morrissey, just in over his head

bumblebeeman

Mar 16, 2016
You clearly like your D men big, but size isn't everything in today's NHL.

Ville is an extremely talented D-man who had a bad training camp. I'd say there would be every reason to assume he will be ready next year. The only problem with Ville is his size, which will make it harder to fit into our top-4 .

Samberg has not shown nearly the same NHL readiness as Heinola in his time on the Moose. He is big and has skill, but has not stood out in the AHL.

Back to Dillon--he is a $4M dman--3.9 to be exact--which makes him exactly $3M more than his potential replacement, Stanley. That $3M, along with Stastny's $3.75, could make it possible to afford Copp and Dubois.

There is a reason Dillon was left unprotected by Washington. Aside from size, hasn't added much to the Jets D in general or to Pink's game in particular. . And at 31 years of age, he is on the far side of the curve.

Ya I agree about Dillon. To me he looks basically like a Chiarot or Kulikov kind of guy, which isn't a bad thing. But he is someone that could be moved to save cap space without having to downgrade on the player too much. Don't get me wrong, I'd rather be able to keep him around, but he's who I would move out if it necessary.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
I would pick PLD over Laine 100 times out of 100. Roslovic is up to 3 points in 11 games. Back to the future for him. Great trade!

You and me both Keith. I was very happy to get rid of Laine. Always complaining he wasn't being paired with the right players, and other things as well. He has slow burst speed, and constantly turned the puck over, as he was easy to outmuscle. He was a good goal scorer, and that's about it. He was a defensive liability, that also wants $ 9 mil to resign - way too much for that guy.

Dubois brings a very complete game, and is fast and big, with a pretty good set of hands on him, and is a great playmaker. I think he'll get a minimum of 60 points this year, but likely 70 or more. He has very good chemistry with Connor, which will be great for the Jets. His game is similar to Scheifele's game, so we have 2 big, great center ice men with a lot of skill.

I think this will go down as one of Chevy's best trades as a GM, as Dubois is really looking good right now, and coming into his own. I do not miss Laine one bit, and thought he was a distraction to the team.

Last edited:

Classic16

Sep 4, 2016
Ya I agree about Dillon. To me he looks basically like a Chiarot or Kulikov kind of guy, which isn't a bad thing. But he is someone that could be moved to save cap space without having to downgrade on the player too much. Don't get me wrong, I'd rather be able to keep him around, but he's who I would move out if it necessary.

We could also buy out Wheelers last 2 years. It would save 4m year. Enough to give copp and Dubois a raise and still resign Statsny for another year and leave our top 4 alone. Demelo is over paid for the 3rd pair and bring up henoila to replace him.

Reactions: GumbyCan2 and GNP

jetsmooseice

Let Chevy Cook
Feb 20, 2020
We could also buy out Wheelers last 2 years. It would save 4m year.

Is it possible that might be the only viable option? For the people who are saying 'trade Wheeler', it's great in theory but I'm curious to know who the potential takers would be at his pricetag.

Ossific

Aug 23, 2010
Is it possible that might be the only viable option? For the people who are saying 'trade Wheeler', it's great in theory but I'm curious to know who the potential takers would be at his pricetag.
He for sure would have to be 50% retained in a trade.

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
He for sure would have to be 50% retained in a trade.

Canucks fans seem to like Wheeler Heinola for Boeser plus.

Just saying... Morrissey Stanley Samberg ( he is with the Jets) are all ahead as is Dillon and Beaulieu right now. Nate is good depth. U could do worse

You can move Demelo cuz Kovavevic looks like a good 3 rd option and cheaper and you likely move heinola or and Dillon also. Morrissey Stan Sam is our 3 future lhd. Ppl should expect heinola to be moved I think.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Wheeler also has a full NMC and would have to waive it. The list of preferred landing spots is likely very small.

Reactions: jetsmooseice

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

Just saying... Morrissey Stanley Samberg ( he is with the Jets) are all ahead as is Dillon and Beaulieu right now. Nate is good depth. U could do worse

You can move Demelo cuz Kovavevic looks like a good 3 rd option and cheaper and you likely move heinola or and Dillon also. Morrissey Stan Sam is our 3 future lhd. Ppl should expect heinola to be moved I think.
Why would Wheeler an American waive his NMC to play for a tire fire team in Canada half way across the continent from his home?

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida

I still love Wheels and I see him retiring as a Jet but if we could turn him and Heinola into Boeser + I would jump on that shit in an instant.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
With recent offer sheets in the NHL, plus Habs tire fire who will be looking to dump some of their bad/questionable cap hits this TDL or sooner and still need far better centre depth……you have to imagine Chevy will be pushing hard to get a new contract done before the season is done. Loving PLD play this season, he’s playing like he did in CBJ pre trade and even better. PLD is going to get a huge raise, 8+ million per year if it’s a long term deal…….less then 8 million if it’s a shorter deal. Well deserved

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
With recent offer sheets in the NHL, plus Habs tire fire who will be looking to dump some of their bad/questionable cap hits this TDL or sooner and still need far better centre depth……you have to imagine Chevy will be pushing hard to get a new contract done before the season is done. Loving PLD play this season, he’s playing like he did in CBJ pre trade and even better. PLD is going to get a huge raise, 8+ million per year if it’s a long term deal…….less then 8 million if it’s a shorter deal. Well deserved

Yeah I hope it's done sometime between Jan 1st and the trade deadline.

Reactions: Hunter368 and GNP

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad