Speculation: Where does PLDs contract end up at?

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
I believe the Jets sign Dubois in the $ 8- 8.5 mil range over 6-7 years. I believe as a free agent he'd likely get $ 9 mil. The most Chevy would go on PLD is $ 9 mil -- "absolute tops."

Center ice men that are his size, and possess his speed, with a great set of hands will command top dollar. It will be a tough signing.

If I was the GM, and Wheeler's no move clause expires after 3 years I believe ? It's time to trade Blake and free up that $ 8.5 mil cap space he eats up. He's still a fairly solid player but likely only worth 5.5

Last edited:

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I'm guessing we can get him in the $7.5-8.5 range. I assume that without taking a pretty heavy discount (unlikely) Copp is gone. If Svech continues to look alright we likely re-up him on the cheap. Harkins and Ves won't be very expensive. Likely let Stastny walk unless he re-ups on the cheap. Perfetti and Gus should step in next year.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
I'm guessing we can get him in the $7.5-8.5 range. I assume that without taking a pretty heavy discount (unlikely) Copp is gone. If Svech continues to look alright we likely re-up him on the cheap. Harkins and Ves won't be very expensive. Likely let Stastny walk unless he re-ups on the cheap. Perfetti and Gus should step in next year.
I thought #1 c usually go for 8-9. And that’s what he is. So is Mark we have 2 1c.

Reactions: GNP

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Using Suzuki contract as a reference you know he has to get more and deserves more then Suzuki if he signed 8 years……so expecting 8 million at a minimum if it’s 8 years. If it’s less then 8 years it all depends how short term he goes, shorter term means less cap hit so….we will see. Either way, his new deal is going to be record breaking deal for the Jets and well deserved if he keeps this up.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I think despite Dillons early season struggles he brings an element to his game that we've been sorely lacking. The Jets have been pushed around a lot since Buff left, and whilst Dillon hasn't stopped that from happening, he has raised team toughness measurably.

That might not be the end all and be all, but it still matters. Team psyche has a big hand in overall performance, and it's built through skill, size, toughness, and your goaltender. I don't think there's a magic formula for it but I think the Jets currently have found a nice balance.

I'd imagine Stanley will grow into that role, he's already doing it to some extent, but he hasn't necessarily earned that respect or reputation yet.

I think that either Heinola or Samberg will need to be moved because I really don't see a way for both of them to get an honest shot at the right time for them in their development cycle.

If Stanley jumps into the top 4 through this year's performance, and if Heinola takes a big step forward, I could see the Jets trading Dillon, but I honestly don't think it's the teams MO to trade guys they've committed to through deals we made with players. So unless Demelo, Pionk, Schmidt or Morrissey ask to be moved I think they at least play out their contracts here.

We have the best problem right now and it'll be interesting to see how it's navigated.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
I think despite Dillons early season struggles he brings an element to his game that we've been sorely lacking. The Jets have been pushed around a lot since Buff left, and whilst Dillon hasn't stopped that from happening, he has raised team toughness measurably.

That might not be the end all and be all, but it still matters. Team psyche has a big hand in overall performance, and it's built through skill, size, toughness, and your goaltender. I don't think there's a magic formula for it but I think the Jets currently have found a nice balance.

I'd imagine Stanley will grow into that role, he's already doing it to some extent, but he hasn't necessarily earned that respect or reputation yet.

I think that either Heinola or Samberg will need to be moved because I really don't see a way for both of them to get an honest shot at the right time for them in their development cycle.

If Stanley jumps into the top 4 through this year's performance, and if Heinola takes a big step forward, I could see the Jets trading Dillon, but I honestly don't think it's the teams MO to trade guys they've committed to through deals we made with players. So unless Demelo, Pionk, Schmidt or Morrissey ask to be moved I think they at least play out their contracts here.

We have the best problem right now and it'll be interesting to see how it's navigated.
Agree with all of that except we didn't make a deal with Dillion we signed for him. Would rather make a deal with Copp but agree with everything you said.

Reactions: Jet

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Agree with all of that except we didn't make a deal with Dillion we signed for him. Would rather make a deal with Copp but agree with everything you said.
Yup and that's why I think he's maybe the only one to be moved but I also think the org loves what he brings so if Stanley can't replace that I don't think they'll move him.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
You clearly like your D men big, but size isn't everything in today's NHL.

Ville is an extremely talented D-man who had a bad training camp. I'd say there would be every reason to assume he will be ready next year. The only problem with Ville is his size, which will make it harder to fit into our top-4 .

Samberg has not shown nearly the same NHL readiness as Heinola in his time on the Moose. He is big and has skill, but has not stood out in the AHL.

Back to Dillon--he is a $4M dman--3.9 to be exact--which makes him exactly $3M more than his potential replacement, Stanley. That $3M, along with Stastny's $3.75, could make it possible to afford Copp and Dubois.

There is a reason Dillon was left unprotected by Washington. Aside from size, hasn't added much to the Jets D in general or to Pink's game in particular. . And at 31 years of age, he is on the far side of the curve.

I like a mix of size and skill in the line up - and that doesn't mean large unskilled Dmen. I didn't say size is everything in the NHL - but I do think size is a plus when defending.

I'm not assuming anything with Heinola - if anything, the assumption that is out there is that he is in the line up next year based on his potential.
I like to push off what I see most recently - and that doesn't mean I am writing anyone off - only that there appears to be much more work that needs to be done. It is concerning when a player comes into camp and appears to have actually declined in the area that he needed to work on the most - defending in his own end.

I agree with you on Samberg - I don't believe we have seen enough of Samberg to make any projections on his role in lineup. It was frustrating when he went down in camp before we had that opportunity.

As for Dillon, I won't assume they move him in the next few years as they work the window - in the end, that move would be based on the need to move Ville into the line up. I'm not sure that is the priority over winning right now. Would that help us with cap? Yes, but it would also reverse some of the work they did in the off season to improve our D. I also think the org is aware of the size / skill blend.

Dillon and Pionk might be a concern - both are scattered in their approach to defending.
Both are caught chasing the play (or away from the play) from time to time and I wouldn't put all that blame on Dillon - at least he is effective in taking the body and clearing the front. Pionk still has work to do in this area - his focus is weighed heavily to the offensive game. I don't have an issue with him joining 44/88 in the hunt for points - but I would like to see him take care of the D side as a similar priority.

In the end, I'm behind Ville / Samberg as much at the next guy but I want to see improvement in the area of the game that needs work (and this is more pointed at Ville). He needs to be able to defend at a higher level that he has shown - IMO.

Reactions: GNP

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016

Very much agree with this point -
And while he may not have stopped us from being pushed around, he has helped reduce that problem.

We added two dmen this year and our defense is much better than the tire fire we experienced LY - is that all on adding 88?

Reactions: Jet

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Very much agree with this point -
And while he may not have stopped us from being pushed around, he has helped reduce that problem.

We added two dmen this year and our defense is much better than the tire fire we experienced LY - is that all on adding 88?
What a turnout in Morrissey. Growth and increased respect in Stan. So yes and no more than just adding two guys.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
What a turnout in Morrissey. Growth and increased respect in Stan. So yes and no more than just adding two guys.

Yes, JoMo is playing much better - now that he has a solid RHD playing with him
Demelo is now allowed to move down to the third pairing in support of young Stan.
So yes, the addition of these 2 impacts all of it - in a good way.

Reactions: Jets 31

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Yes, JoMo is playing much better - now that he has a solid RHD playing with him
Demelo is now allowed to move down to the third pairing in support of young Stan.
So yes, the addition of these 2 impacts all of it - in a good way.
Okay but that’s what Schmidt does. If we didn’t have Dillion we have forbort. Not quite as good but all those changes you mention are Schmidt.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
Okay but that’s what Schmidt does. If we didn’t have Dillion we have forbort. Not quite as good but all those changes you mention are Schmidt.

We need to weigh in on what Dillon brings -
He's big and aggressive, he plays the man and works the walls and net front
He makes players hesitate when they are roaming our zone, screening, and taking liberties with our goal tender -
We don't talk about those things very often - we like to measure our dmen by how many points they get.
There are other things that do not show up in the stats column

He is not offensive - and I'm thankful for that considering we have enough dmen on this team that are.
Forbort vs Dillon? I'll leave that one alone.

On topic: I see 7.5 to 8 for PLD over 6 - 7 yrs. Hope he is willing to take a bit of a discount considering the Jets pulled him out of a rough situation and have been patient.

Last edited:

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I thought #1 c usually go for 8-9. And that’s what he is. So is Mark we have 2 1c.

Tough to say. He's a 1C right now for sure, but he hasn't really played at this level for any period of time before this. He's had spurts but his overall offence was a step below what it currently is and offence is what really gets you paid. At $9m he would be the 10th highest paid center in the league and I don't think the Jets will go that high. I'm predicting 6 or 7 years max $8.5m. Chevy has done a good job handing out those next contracts to players and getting them to buy in before they potentially hit a higher payday down the line. I think PLD likes the fit here and likes Winnipeg itself which is a bonus. So maybe we can shave a little off the top and go 7 years. On the open market he 100% likely gets 7 years at $9m.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Tough to say. He's a 1C right now for sure, but he hasn't really played at this level for any period of time before this. He's had spurts but his overall offence was a step below what it currently is and offence is what really gets you paid. At $9m he would be the 10th highest paid center in the league and I don't think the Jets will go that high. I'm predicting 6 or 7 years max $8.5m. Chevy has done a good job handing out those next contracts to players and getting them to buy in before they potentially hit a higher payday down the line. I think PLD likes the fit here and likes Winnipeg itself which is a bonus. So maybe we can shave a little off the top and go 7 years. On the open market he 100% likely gets 7 years at $9m.
Wasn’t he a 1c for Columbus?

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I’ll say 5 X $7.5. I little shorter than ideal to keep the AAV down and set him for a big UFA payday while he is still in his late 20’s.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Some comps that could be used for third contracts for Dubois:

Johansen 8 x $8 million 10.67% of cap
Couture 5 x $6 million or 9.33% of cap
Kuznetsov 8 x $7.8 million or 10.40% of cap
Point 8 x $9.5 million or 11.66 % of cap
Schenn 4 x $5.2 million or 7.02 % of cap
Hertl 4 x $5.625 million or 7.08 % of cap

So if we go long term off a bridge then I would expect him to come in around Johansen and Kuznetsov's deals so:

$8.5 to $8.7

If its 5 years around Couture's deal which would be $7.7 million

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad