Where does Crosby rank as a goalscorer?

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
That makes sense from a process point of view. Crosby is a selective shooter, he doesn't generally waste a lot of opportunities by just winging one on net from where ever. In part because he can't really score from distance. So, already you have to factor that in when evaluating him as a goal scorer, in my opinion. It's like saying the best QB of all time doesn't have a deep ball...you're probably already dead in the water for "best".

Crosby is a player that works his way into the tough areas, and that's where he shoots (or deflects) from. I'd wager that he has a very high percentage of goals from the lowest layer of the offensive zone and/or from the low slot relative to other elite players in the league.

If he comes barreling down the wing, he's more likely to try to make a pass across the net line because that greatly increases the odds of getting a quality scoring chance vs his ability to just blow one through a goalie from 40 feet.

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
This chart isn't for everyone, and that's fine...but with this questionable roster, Sid has taken on the role of goal scorer while also maintaining chance creator status. And he's doing it better than basically everyone in the league...still...

It's a shame the power play is being coached by an actual potato, or he'd be in the Hart conversation...

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
I would say facetious is describing Crosby as never being an elite goalscorer.
No, I would say the Bruins guy was accurate, as Crosby is around 11th for most goals in a season, not counting them before ‘99 is disingenuous and eliminates 10 guys.
Didn’t pull the wool over anyone eyes.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
No, I would say the Bruins guy was accurate, as Crosby is around 11th for most goals in a season, not counting them before ‘99 is disingenuous and eliminates 10 guys.
Didn’t pull the wool over anyone eyes.

What does this mean?

If winning the goalscoring title twice (T2nd of his era) and missing a 3rd time due to injury isn't elite, I am not sure what is.

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
You could be trolling but if your are not, you really do not see why when talking about your rank all-time at something why bringing winning a recent trophy for something that is not voted but simply awarded to the player with most goal in a season instead of simply using the most goals in a season statistics is not the best way to look at it ?

And why his era happen to start in the 1998-1999 season ?

Yes leading the league in something 2 times and by a good margin the favorite half way during a season before an injury is quite elite, no need to introduce the Rockey Richard Trophy here.

Despote

Mar 21, 2023
This chart isn't for everyone, and that's fine...but with this questionable roster, Sid has taken on the role of goal scorer while also maintaining chance creator status. And he's doing it better than basically everyone in the league...still...

It's a shame the power play is being coached by an actual potato, or he'd be in the Hart conversation...

This is how Crosby stacks up if the quality of the chances created is also (at least attempted to) taken into account. It's pretty impressive consistency, looking at that data only McDavid, Matthews and MacKinnon have been creating quality 5vs5 scoring chances at a better rate over the last 4 years.

1708551668055.png

Nathaniel Skywalker

Oct 18, 2013
If he can hang on for a top 10 finish this year he will have 2 rockets with 5 top 10 finishes overall. Nothing weak about that

Calderon

Mar 24, 2006
Somewhat related...

Crosby has 18 seasons with more assists than goals and 0 seasons with more goals than assists. However, in 2023-2024 he has 6 more goals than assists with 31 games to play.

Will he fall off this list of players who have at least 18 seasons with more assists than goals and 0 seasons with more goals than assists?

View attachment 821416
Cool table, thanks. Was this compiled by hand, is everyone that make the qualifications included? It's absolutely wild that Joe Thornton isn't on the list. He had a statline of 37-34—71 in 2000-01, didn't have anyone to pass to, I guess?

The converse list for goals scored would be cool to see. I reckon we'd see names like Ovi, Matthews, Bondra, Bure, Richard? Admittedly, concessions would have to be made as I'm not sure if there's anyone who had a memorable NHL career that never had more assists than goals in any one season. So I guess we're talking about something like a list of the most seasons with more goals than assists with some qualifications for minimum number of seasons and goals.

Reactions: Hockey Stathead

Hockey Stathead

Aug 14, 2022
www.instagram.com
Cool table, thanks. Was this compiled by hand, is everyone that make the qualifications included? It's absolutely wild that Joe Thornton isn't on the list. He had a statline of 37-34—71 in 2000-01, didn't have anyone to pass to, I guess?

The converse list for goals scored would be cool to see. I reckon we'd see names like Ovi, Matthews, Bondra, Bure, Richard? Admittedly, concessions would have to be made as I'm not sure if there's anyone who had a memorable NHL career that never had more assists than goals in any one season. So I guess we're talking about something like a list of the most seasons with more goals than assists with some qualifications for minimum number of seasons and goals.
Ya no problem.

Yes, it considers every single player season in NHL history.

Good call on Thornton. I had to double check when he didn't show up.

Here's the converse list:
1708574010465.png

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
See post 77.

I already listed that myself. There are only 12 players with more goalscoring titles all-time. Statistically, I think around 20th all-time is a pretty decent ranking for him.

Of course he is one of the handful of unique players that can claim to be a generational playmaker along with being a notable goalscorer (Howe, Wayne, Mario, Jagr, McDavid).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad