Where do you rank Ovechkin?

All-time ranking of Ovechkin

• Total voters

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
He only became good in the 2nd playoff run.

He became great, I think he was good before. But that's semantics. He was pretty important in the second cup, that we agree on. But now we're also getting too far away from the OP. I think we're on the same page about Jagr and his impact on the Pens in his first years there.

Nadal On Clay

Djokovic > Nadal > Federer
Oct 11, 2017
He became great, I think he was good before. But that's semantics. He was pretty important in the second cup, that we agree on. But now we're also getting too far away from the OP. I think we're on the same page about Jagr and his impact on the Pens in his first years there.

He was useless in his rookie year (91) and became great in the 92 playoffs with 24pts in 23GP (had 69 in 70 in the 1992 RS).

And yeah back on topic now lol

Reactions: Plural

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
He was useless in his rookie year (91) and became great in the 92 playoffs with 24pts in 23GP (had 69 in 70 in the 1992 RS).

And yeah back on topic now lol
Jagr was way more skilled and talented than his numbers suggest his first few years. Fact is he was only 18-19 years old, and was playing 2nd line minutes.

To say he was useless is ridiculous. He was young and still adapting. Just because he didn’t come in like Lemieux doesn’t mean he wasn’t a great player for the team early on.

Nadal On Clay

Oct 11, 2017
Jagr was way more skilled and talented than his numbers suggest his first few years. Fact is he was only 18-19 years old, and was playing 2nd line minutes.

To say he was useless is ridiculous. He was young and still adapting. Just because he didn’t come in like Lemieux doesn’t mean he wasn’t a great player for the team early on.

I mean you just said it, he was a 2nd liner. He was nowhere close the player he was from 95-02

Nadal On Clay

Oct 11, 2017
That doesn’t mean he was useless, like you said.

He was also used on a shut down line with Francis, who only scored 54 points in ‘92. Jagr had 69 in 70.

He wasn’t “useless”, but you certainly cant count him as a HOFer during those 2 seasons which was the point made by MJ.

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
He wasn’t “useless”, but you certainly cant count him as a HOFer during those 2 seasons which was the point made by MJ.
I know he wasn’t useless, that’s why I stated something about your use of the word.

I don’t think he was referring to him as a HOFer at that moment, but more a future HOFer. I doubt guys like Francis, Recchi, or Murphy were slam dunk HOFers at that time as well, but regardless, they became some of the best players and were inducted.

By the time Jagr was hitting his prime, the Pens depth wasn’t nearly as Strong and their defense was relatively weak. All while his peak was without Lemieux and surrounded by an even more weak Pens team.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Still not a HOF resume with those 24 pts... which was also his best playoff performance.

No one playoff performance gets a player into the HoF. That is not a reasonable metric.

24 points in 21 games in 1992 was a worthy performance for a HoF'er.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Point is, Lemieux was the best player on his team, but "carry" them he did not. He had plenty of support.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
The old Trottier? Yeah

OK, so Lemieux had help from 5 other hall of famers, not 6. Is that better?

Has Ovechkin ever had any hall of famers? Is Nick Backstrom - recently rated as the 13th best C in the NHL - a hall of famer?

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
Point is, Lemieux was the best player on his team, but "carry" them he did not. He had plenty of support.

OV simply does not have the "it" factor that other players in the Top 20 have. It is a very limited group that has Top 20 all-time talent and the competitiveness to do whatever is needed to win. OV is an all-time great at what he does but he is limited to what he does.

Nadal On Clay

Oct 11, 2017
OK, so Lemieux had help from 5 other hall of famers, not 6. Is that better?

Has Ovechkin ever had any hall of famers? Is Nick Backstrom - recently rated as the 13th best C in the NHL - a hall of famer?

Wait so you still count Jagr as an HOF in those seasons? I mean, Alex Tanguay put 21 in 24 with Colorado in the playoffs in his 2nd season too, was he considered an Hall of famer?

Nadal On Clay

Oct 11, 2017

Howe had Delvecchio and Lindsey flanking him for the majority of his prime.

Lemieux had... Stevens, Coffey for some seasons and Jagr afterwards.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad