Where are the better defensemen coming from?

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Total misdirection thread.

This is exactly the same sort of thing some simple minded Oil Change viewers used to post when Tamby sat around and did nothing and posters here complained.

'Well what deals would you be making then big shot'?

When you are employed at great expense to build an NHL franchise there are a couple of things that are certain;

- making no deals and then saying 'there's nothing out there' is weak and gets you fired in the end.

- making ****** trades and justifying them because 'there's nothing out there' is weak and gets you fired in the end.

No excuse for what Chiarelli did today. The fact that fans on a message board (who have no power, access and limited information) can't come up with hypothetical deals to satisfy apologists has no bearing on things either way.

Thanks, what a reacctionary thread with some pretty derisive posts in it. Its like a tea party.

walks out

GinMakeMeSin

Aug 18, 2006
When we start winning games people will realize how dumb they sound

Yes you have too much faith in others. Leave them be. We needed Larsson badly, the rest of the doubters will cheer soon enough when we see what actual defense can do.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
I just want to know if we could've landed Larsson using Eberle or RNH + next years 1st and maybe more. I would have preferred that than losing Hall.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I just want to know if we could've landed Larsson using Eberle or RNH + next years 1st and maybe more. I would have preferred that than losing Hall.

Shero said it was Hall or nothing.

Thanks, what a reacctionary thread with some pretty derisive posts in it. Its like a tea party.

walks out

Thanks for your valuable input. We have plenty of reactionary threads and this is the one you call out?

Jephman

Jun 1, 2010
oops, missed out on putting an * in front of Jacob Trouba

note that Winnipeg will expose 2 of Tyler Myers/ Jacob Trouba/ and Enstrom
Washington- Orpik/ Orlov
Vancouver- Hamhuis/ Sbisa
St. Louis- Shattenkirk/ Gunnarsson
Ottawa- Wiercioch/ Ceci
NY Islanders- Hickey/ de Haan
Nashville- Ellis
Minnesota- Dumba/ Brodin
Florida- Campbell/ Petrovic
Columbus- Savard/ R. Murray
Calgary- Wideman/ Jokipakka
Buffalo- Franson
Arizona- Stone/ Connor Murphy
Anaheim- Fowler/ Despres/ Stoner

lots of choices and potential trading partners. No need to be paying a Taylor Hall for a Adam Larsson in June 2015, when by December thru March 2016 the sale will be on for real.

Oh great, December! So your plan would be to ice the god awful defense we had last year until December? What's one more wasted year right?

MDCSL

Jun 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
The Oilers are in a position of weakness and everyone in the NBA (yes, the NBA because the NHL isn't that much of a stretch) knows they need a defenseman and badly. They have the worst d-core in the league and honestly maybe even worse than some AHL teams. They had to do something. The trade sucks balls but you likely weren't getting much better than this.

A team that hasn't finished outside the bottom 10 in 8 years doesn't have the luxury of hoping something falls into their lap. Teams know what we want and they are going to try and fleece us if they can.

Status quo is not an option for this team unless you enjoy being dead ****ing last again.

So all you care about is making the playoffs next year, no matter what? I would much rather tank again next year and actually trade the pick and some prospects for a real return than dump Taylor hall for nothing because chiarelli is in a bad mood because he didn't get subban.

Mcdavid for shattenkirk.
Draisaitl for cam fowler.

Bam, we make the playoffs, that's all that matters right? Who cares if we get raped and lose our best players as long as we make that lottery spot next year.

Lord Quas

The unseen
Aug 9, 2006
I don't mind this trade, because ten years of shame...

How many times have oilers fan left the arena and felt disgusted by their team in the last ten years?

Chi sounded like he genuinely exhausted all options. If this is the start of getting us winning, then I'm okay with the cost. It hurts, but finishing in the basement yet again is unacceptable. I don't think this trade alone tips it, but things are looking up.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
So all you care about is making the playoffs next year, no matter what? I would much rather tank again next year and actually trade the pick and some prospects for a real return than dump Taylor hall for nothing because chiarelli is in a bad mood because he didn't get subban.

Mcdavid for shattenkirk.
Draisaitl for cam fowler.

Bam, we make the playoffs, that's all that matters right? Who cares if we get raped and lose our best players as long as we make that lottery spot next year.

Newsflash, we were a lottery team this year with the "elite" Taylor Hall.

How many years does McDavid wait before he looks for greener pastures?

I can't believe people actually think tanking another year is a viable option. Because that's worked out so well for us. Tanking doesn't work.

In what world would making the playoffs this year be a bad thing?

MDCSL

Jun 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Newsflash, we were a lottery team this year with the "elite" Taylor Hall.

How many years does McDavid wait before he looks for greener pastures?

I can't believe people actually think tanking another year is a viable option. Because that's worked out so well for us. Tanking doesn't work.

I would rather lose another year and wait for a fair deal than trade our assets for mediocre help and be a perennial first round loser. How do you suggest we get that #1 offensive d now? It's obvious to anyone that watches the oilers that while yes, we do need a guy like larsson, we need a real #1 guy on the back end if we're ever going to become a serious contender. Last year we threw some of our most valuable trading chips away for the guy we thought was going to be our larsson and now we deal our second best player and our most valuable trading chip for a low end #2 shut down guy.

Toydarian

Jun 2, 2009
The timing of the trade does not make sense. Why would you trade Hall 2 days before free agency? It appears EDM is the front runner to sign Lucic as a "replacement," but it is not a certainty. Trading your top left wing before signing Lucic just makes you more desperate to ensure you sign him. It simply gives Lucic more leverage.

Furthermore, once teams fail to sign Lucic, Okposo, or hoping for Stamkos, realize they need offense, the value of Hall increases.

Chiarelli stressed that this is the cost for a defenseman, yet now there is a strong possibility Barrie is available and the rumoured price is RNH?!

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Islanders saying that they didnt want to trade Hamonic for Hall. Should tell everything about how valuable defenseman compared to wingers.

Look at what Kessel got traded for (the 2nd time), pretty much a pile of garbage. Hall puts up points but his 2 way play and supposed attitude have kept him off of Team Canada. Regardless, we still lost the trade unless Larsson becomes a legit top pairing Dman.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad