Where are the better defensemen coming from?

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Simple question. The Hall deal obviously didn't get full value for Taylor, but I ask you this.

Where are the better defensemen coming from? I don't see a deal on the table that gave us anything better. Subban was dealt for Shea Weber, something the Oilers couldn't hope to match unless they wanted to pay Draisatl, Nurse/Klefbom, the 4th overall pick and MORE.

Do you deal Hall for a year of Shattenkirk and pray he signs? Maybe hope the Blues are dumb and deal him for Ptierangelo? The Isles have gone on record saying they wouldn't deal Hamonic for Hall straight up. That alone is a pretty big indictment of the value of our players.

So I ask you HFOil, where are the better defensemen coming from? As crappy as the Hall for Larsson deal is, I don't think there was anything better out there.

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
Predicted response: doing nothing is better than making the team worse!!!!

As if there's anything worse than missing the playoffs for the past 10 years.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011

Yeah I don't get the attachment to players who are the face of the worst era ever.

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT

exactly, doing nothing has gotten the team no where for a long time. To repeat the process of not making any changes and expecting different results is literal insanity.

underdog

Jul 30, 2003
British Columbia
Visit site
The deal is lopsided but next spring I think Jersey and Hall are playing golf and we are in the playoffs. I'm hearing some Jersey fans comparing Hall to Kovalchuk and expect his 25 30 goals to single handily save their offence, I think they are in for a rude awakening. If Lucic signs and Larsen become a 25 minute solid reliable dman we will be smiling.

atowalters

May 29, 2010
Calgary, Alberta
What do we have an excess of?

And is our defence better today than it was yesterday?

To me, the key to a team is being good down the middle and a strong D. Wingers are the final piece. For years the oilers did it backwards and Chia is trying to fix that. This is phase 1, I am waiting for phase 2.

Dakine879

Apr 24, 2015
Edmonton
So many Oilers fans overvalue Mr Hall. Not saying he's bad player, a cancer, or any other slight.

Chiarelli is still trying to change the atmosphere/history/culture of this organization and how other GM's perceive our players value.

I know we lost this trade one on one.

We needed a trade, he didn't get better offers , move on with life.

I think there will be more moves to be made over the next week.

Good Luck #4!

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
There seems to be no response to this thread. Just posters on other threads complaining about what a horrible GM Chiarelli is.

Typical.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
Sign Demers, much better than this trade.
Trade a combination of picks and hall or Leon for Subban. I do not buy that the leaked price was the final price.
Trade for Barrie.
Trade RNH+ for Jones. I'd have taken RNH + 2nd Rounder + Davidson for instance.

And no, I don't buy JTS's bs that it was either Nurse and Hall for Hamonic, Strome, and a First.

All of the above were rumoured at some point this year and not totally infeasible.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Sign Demers, much better than this trade.
Trade a combination of picks and hall or Leon for Subban. I do not buy that the leaked price was the final price.
Trade for Barrie.
Trade RNH+ for Jones. I'd have taken RNH + 2nd Rounder + Davidson for instance.

And no, I don't buy JTS's bs that it was either Nurse and Hall for Hamonic, Strome, and a First.

All of the above were rumoured at some point this year and not totally infeasible.

Signing Demers is probably the most feasible out of any of these. Just saying "trade for barrie" is a cop out.

Subban was traded for Weber. MTL's GM wanted something equivalent in return which sadly the Oilers do not have.

Hamonic was likely never on the table after he rescinded his trade request. Even then you're giving up more than we gave up to get Larsson.

Nashville was more interested in Johansen. Probably not much to be done there.

DipsyMcDoodles

Apr 6, 2014
Edmonton
IF the Oilers are in the playoffs next April I bet none of us are going to be ragging on this trade. It's about time we got a real change aside from the minor "tinkering" we complain about offseason after offseason.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
Simple question. The Hall deal obviously didn't get full value for Taylor, but I ask you this.

Where are the better defensemen coming from? I don't see a deal on the table that gave us anything better. Subban was dealt for Shea Weber, something the Oilers couldn't hope to match unless they wanted to pay Draisatl, Nurse/Klefbom, the 4th overall pick and MORE.

Do you deal Hall for a year of Shattenkirk and pray he signs? Maybe hope the Blues are dumb and deal him for Ptierangelo? The Isles have gone on record saying they wouldn't deal Hamonic for Hall straight up. That alone is a pretty big indictment of the value of our players.

So I ask you HFOil, where are the better defensemen coming from? As crappy as the Hall for Larsson deal is, I don't think there was anything better out there.

seems like if you want a top defenseman, you actually have to draft and develop one. the oilers have failed badly in that regard.

Gone

Fire KLowe
Aug 9, 2005
Earth
Draft better, invest in scouting?

Wait patiently for the expansion draft, surely with teams only able to protect 3 D-men, a quality RH would shake lose.

Scour the KHL and other leagues.

Try something ... for God sakes, don't lose another ****ing trade.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
seems like if you want a top defenseman, you actually have to draft and develop one. the oilers have failed badly in that regard.

Basically. I like the idea of bringing in Larsson and hopefully Demers to push down Nurse and the others so they can develop more.

Gone

Fire KLowe
Aug 9, 2005
Earth
IF the Oilers are in the playoffs next April I bet none of us are going to be ragging on this trade. It's about time we got a real change aside from the minor "tinkering" we complain about offseason after offseason.

Oilers just guaranteed themselves bottom 5 in the NHL next year.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
Signing Demers is probably the most feasible out of any of these. Just saying "trade for barrie" is a cop out.

Subban was traded for Weber. MTL's GM wanted something equivalent in return which sadly the Oilers do not have.

Hamonic was likely never on the table after he rescinded his trade request. Even then you're giving up more than we gave up to get Larsson.

Nashville was more interested in Johansen. Probably not much to be done there.

I don't know what the rumoured price for Barrie is, but we're still seeing rumours that he's apparently on the table. I was trying to play the game of actual rumours. If I had to guess at a realistic offer, I'd say Eberle + 2nd.

Subban I remain convinced was swapped for Weber mostly because Bergevin was playing hardball and Chia got fed up. He lucked out when Poile called to bail him out when his bluff got called. But that's conjecture so fine, fair.

Jones I don't think so. They obviously like RJO, but I don't think they like him that much more than RNH that they wouldn't have taken an large overpayment like the one I offered up there.

But even if we just signed Demers and kept Hall, I would have viewed it as superior to this. From what I've seen Demers is a slightly crappier version of Larsson anyways. I'd rather have that + Hall than lose Hall for a defensive dman. Spend our damn assets on Barrie or an offensive dman which is our real need back there.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014

This is definitely true. I will say right now that I'll eat my words on this trade if we make the playoffs next year.

McCombo

Nov 16, 2013
Islanders saying that they didnt want to trade Hamonic for Hall. Should tell everything about how valuable defenseman compared to wingers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad