Speculation: When the rebuild is complete

Gritty

Nov 28, 2011
For me the Flames need one more stud defenceman and the rebuild would be complete.

I think Bennett and Poirier will be top 6 players to go with Gaudreau and Monahan. Lots of talent in guys like Granlund, Ferland, Klimchuk, Baertschi, etc. to round out the forwards.

Plus Calgary will always spend so if the prospect pool is deep then this team will be in the playoffs on an annual basis.

Ideally, if both players hit the market(separate years), I would love to add both M. Staal and Backes to complete the rebuild.

I agree about Bennett, Poirier, Gaudreau, Monahan being quality offensive threats. I feel like adding a big body leader like Backes would be ideal for the playoffs. Meanwhile, just keep drafting well and enjoy the ride :naughty:

Dream 2 years from now:

Gaudreau - Monahan - Hudler
Bennett - Backes - Poirier
Ferland - Granlund - Colborne
Bouma - Jooris - Smith

Gio - Brodie
Staal - Wideman
Tspoon - Russell
Engelland

Ramo
Ortio

^ That is one BIG, talented, leadership filled team ready to go on deep playoff runs!

Last edited:

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Without any trading involved (what I'd like to see next year):

Gaudreau - Bennett - Poirier
Colborne - Monahan - Hudler
Granlund - Backlund - Raymond
Bouma - Arnold - Jooris
Bollig, Jones (or Byron and Ferland, would much rather have those two than Bollig and Jones).

Giordano - Brodie
Wotherspoon - Wideman
Russell - Engelland

Ramo
Hiller

We already have a good team, but I still think we are missing an elite right winger and a top notch defenseman that can slot in the top 4.

MonahanTheMan

Pray for Flames
Jul 10, 2013
Bellingham, WA
I think Bouma's potential is well above that of a fourth liner. I think he can be a capable middle six forward. You guys gotta remember that this is basically only his second year of NHL hockey...

Master Bill

Congrats, Oilers! (2023)
Nov 9, 2014
I think Bouma's potential is well above that of a fourth liner. I think he can be a capable middle six forward. You guys gotta remember that this is basically only his second year of NHL hockey...

Who would you replace to move Bouma up though? We have enough depth on both wings to fill the Top 3 lines. Bouma is most effective in a checking role, killing penalties, and shot-blocking on the 4th line.

MonahanTheMan

Pray for Flames
Jul 10, 2013
Bellingham, WA
Who would you replace to move Bouma up though? We have enough depth on both wings to fill the Top 3 lines. Bouma is most effective in a checking role, killing penalties, and shot-blocking on the 4th line.

Well, I've said a few times that I'd be okay with moving Bennett to left wing and Gaudreau to right. So maybe a top six down the road could look like

Bennett - Monahan - Gaudreau
Bouma - Granlund - Colborne

I don't know, just speculation after all. But I like both those lines and I think in a year or two, Bouma won't necessarily look out of place on a second line. Maybe not right now, but he's still extremely young and already extremely responsible.

MonahanTheMan

Pray for Flames
Jul 10, 2013
Bellingham, WA
Don't get me wrong. I like Bouma but him playing in the top 6 is questionable. Bottom 6 is fine.

Again, yeah, he hasn't looked great in the top six this year, but it's totally a possibility down the road. I think he's a smart enough player and is good enough with the puck that it's not even implausible. I kinda wish Hartley would use him more in a third-line role just so we could see what he does with increased ice time.

Of course, keeping him as a fourth-liner in the role he's got now is okay too. I love Bouma's game right now.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
We've already experimented Bouma on the first line with Monahan and Glencross and wasn't very effective. He's much better on the 4th line.

MonahanTheMan

Pray for Flames
Jul 10, 2013
Bellingham, WA
We've already experimented Bouma on the first line with Monahan and Glencross and wasn't very effective. He's much better on the 4th line.

There's a world of difference between the first line and the third. Playing him in increased minutes on the third is not unreasonable, playing him on the first was a serious head-scratcher, yes.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
There's a world of difference between the first line and the third. Playing him in increased minutes on the third is not unreasonable, playing him on the first was a serious head-scratcher, yes.
Except it wasn't a head-scratcher at all. . They put him in a role to play against other teams top players. Also by moving him from the 4th to 1st line they didn't have to **** with the 2nd and 3rd lines there.

MonahanTheMan

Pray for Flames
Jul 10, 2013
Bellingham, WA
Except it wasn't a head-scratcher at all. . They put him in a role to play against other teams top players. Also by moving him from the 4th to 1st line they didn't have to **** with the 2nd and 3rd lines there.

These two sentences are mutually exclusive in context. Bouma is good defensively, but not that good, and also not fast enough to compete with most top lines. To be fair, I don't remember who he was playing first-line minutes against, so maybe it was a good decision, but in most cases I would not put a player on the first line simply because they can block shots and keep their zone clear, and especially not when they had up until very recently played almost exclusively in a reduced fourth-line role. You need to ease a player like Bouma up the lineup.

I do agree though that not mucking up the second and third lines was a good decision though, they are generally pretty effective for us. But I don't think it would hurt to try him long term on the third line for the rest of the season, especially once players come back from injury and we'll have to shuffle lineups anyways.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
These two sentences are mutually exclusive in context. Bouma is good defensively, but not that good, and also not fast enough to compete with most top lines. To be fair, I don't remember who he was playing first-line minutes against, so maybe it was a good decision, but in most cases I would not put a player on the first line simply because they can block shots and keep their zone clear, and especially not when they had up until very recently played almost exclusively in a reduced fourth-line role. You need to ease a player like Bouma up the lineup.

I do agree though that not mucking up the second and third lines was a good decision though, they are generally pretty effective for us. But I don't think it would hurt to try him long term on the third line for the rest of the season, especially once players come back from injury and we'll have to shuffle lineups anyways.
Bouma not fast enough? Bouma is a solid defensive player who does alot more than blocking shots. The more you say, the more you make me wonder. First your absolutely baseless comments on Baertschi and now I don't know who you have been watching but it sure wasn't Bouma.

MonahanTheMan

Pray for Flames
Jul 10, 2013
Bellingham, WA
Bouma not fast enough? Bouma is a solid defensive player who does alot more than blocking shots. The more you say, the more you make me wonder. First your absolutely baseless comments on Baertschi and now I don't know who you have been watching but it sure wasn't Bouma.

Bouma is not known for his speed. Top lines generally are. This is not a ridiculous statement to make. And my point is that Bouma can probably do a lot more than just block shots and make defensive plays, but that we haven't seen much else from him because he plays fourth-line minutes. I'm saying play him on the third line, then the second, before giving him minutes against top competition. That's far from unreasonable; sometimes I think you just disagree with people just for the **** of it even when you know you're wrong.

Master Bill

Congrats, Oilers! (2023)
Nov 9, 2014
Bouma is not known for his speed. Top lines generally are. This is not a ridiculous statement to make. And my point is that Bouma can probably do a lot more than just block shots and make defensive plays, but that we haven't seen much else from him because he plays fourth-line minutes. I'm saying play him on the third line, then the second, before giving him minutes against top competition. That's far from unreasonable; sometimes I think you just disagree with people just for the **** of it even when you know you're wrong.

I'm not sure if you're watching the same Bouma as I. He's one of our best-skating forwards and he would easily be faster than anyone on the current top line of Jones, Glencross, and Monahan.

I do agree with your assessment though. Boums is best when he's outskating and outmuscling the opposition's bottom D-pairings. I don't think he had enough to go straight away against the top D-pairings and be effective.

MonahanTheMan

Pray for Flames
Jul 10, 2013
Bellingham, WA
I'm not sure if you're watching the same Bouma as I. He's one of our best-skating forwards and he would easily be faster than anyone on the current top line of Jones, Glencross, and Monahan.

I do agree with your assessment though. Boums is best when he's outskating and outmuscling the opposition's bottom D-pairings. I don't think he had enough to go straight away against the top D-pairings and be effective.

Maybe I'm not noticing his speed because he's not on generally playing in situations where he's being relied on for it, but I do definitely agree he's a real good skater, his two way maneuvrability is awesome and he can turn on a dime when he's on the PK.

All in all, I think everyone can agree that he's honestly a key part of this team's depth and is quickly becoming a great defensive option in many situations.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
I think Colborne will be around for a while. He's versatile enough that he can play the wing or center, in both the top and bottom 6.

MonahanTheMan

Pray for Flames
Jul 10, 2013
Bellingham, WA
I think Colborne will be around for a while. He's versatile enough that he can play the wing or center, in both the top and bottom 6.

I agree, for now he bring a pretty unique element to the team in the fact that he can really use his size in the corners. Now I just hope he can work hard on using his frame for defensive play - and it'd be really cool to see him drop the gloves once in a while. A middle six player who can fight and is feared by opposition is seriously a real valuable resource.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Considering the AZ GM only called out (allegedly) guys with a limited NTC, and the only guy on the Coyotes with a limited NTC is Zbynek Michalek, that's the guy being made available.

I think the Flames stay the course, continue the rebuild via draft, free agency, or picking up other teams scraps. The cost of someone like Gormley could be too high.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad