Speculation: When the rebuild is complete

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Sven is basically worthless imo, no real NHL potential, or at least not to the level at which he was advertised. If he hadn't ****ed up he would've been in this league in 2012-13. I am firmly calling him a bust at this point.

And before everyone slams me and says he has been a 0.5ppg player in his last few seasons, you know damn well what I mean. Every year he looks worse, and every year he fails to stick in the NHL. The only reason he's here now is because the management sees this as being do-or-die for him. If he fails to produce adequately and be an impact player, he's not going to be resigned for 15-16. At best they might be able to trade him for a B prospect, but we've got plenty of those, so it'd be pointless.

First of all, not every prospect in the world is amazing by the time they're 21. Second of all, he has absolutely not looked worse every year. I don't know what makes you think he has. This season has been the best he's looked, in my opinion. I just think other guys also look great and Hartley prefers to play them.

Look, I've gone through entire games just to watch every single thing Sven does (but not in a creepy way), and he has managed to go an entire game before without getting more than two opportunities to make a play, which he does. It's just the situation he's being put in.

Third of all, this is not a do-or-die year for him. He's only 22.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Sven is basically worthless imo, no real NHL potential, or at least not to the level at which he was advertised. If he hadn't ****ed up he would've been in this league in 2012-13. I am firmly calling him a bust at this point.

And before everyone slams me and says he has been a 0.5ppg player in his last few seasons, you know damn well what I mean. Every year he looks worse, and every year he fails to stick in the NHL. The only reason he's here now is because the management sees this as being do-or-die for him. If he fails to produce adequately and be an impact player, he's not going to be resigned for 15-16. At best they might be able to trade him for a B prospect, but we've got plenty of those, so it'd be pointless.

1) He's not a bust. He's only 22.

2) He clearly was mismanaged. Had he played in the AHL for a full season last year, instead of being pulled out 26 games into the season, I am pretty sure his confidence would be a hell of a lot better than what it is right now. Look at how well Ferland, Granlund and Jooris are doing. They were seasoned in the AHL.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I stand by my opinion that the handling of Baertschi by Feaster may be the single biggest reason he was fired by Burke. The way Sven was handled was god awful right from the get go.

1) The call up on the emergency recall was fine, but scoring the way he did out of the gate required the Flames to be be brutally honest with him. He needed to be told that while it was incredible what he was doing that the road to being an NHL isn't easy and that his hot start would result in fans having unrealistic expectations.

2) His 19 year old season, because of his late birthday he was eligible to play in the AHL without burning a year off his contract. Not only that but because of the lockout they had a free preview of the kid for half a year! Sven started good but soon faded and wasn't playing mediocre hockey by the time the lockout ended and what did Feaster do? Gifted the kid a spot out of camp. Then he suffered an injury and ended up being sent back anyways while burning a year off his contract and possibly making him a UFA 1 year earlier.

3) Horrible rookie camp. Bad training camp. Gifted a roster spot. Did Feaster have an aversion to making this kid work for and earn anything? Then after being guaranteed a roster spot by Feaster he was demoted by Burke as the first order of business once he terminated Feaster. That in itself tells me what Burke thought of how Baertschi had been handled by Feaster.

If this kid busts, a large portion of that is on Feaster.

Master Bill

Congrats, Oilers! (2023)
Nov 9, 2014
Agreed with the first two posts above. A player is not considered a bust unless he gives up playing for the team. Sven's evidently putting the effort in games even in limited minutes, it's just the points that are not following, which makes it look like he's having a horrible season. In terms of performance I think he looks as intense as I have seen him in a Flames jersey, he's forechecking hard, and he's doing his best on a 4th line to create chances. Unless he plays on the top two lines, you're never going to see him produce consistently on the bottom two lines. Hell, you shouldn't expect anyone on the bottom two lines to put up points consistently.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Other thing I'd like to say is that I advocate an approach to prospects where you treat every one of them as if they were undrafted FA signings. Where Baertschi was drafted and his hype before joining the team bears no significance at this point to how effective a hockey player he is or can be. He's still at this point a talented kid with the potential to improve. You can't have enough of those guys in an organization.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I stand by my opinion that the handling of Baertschi by Feaster may be the single biggest reason he was fired by Burke. The way Sven was handled was god awful right from the get go.

1) The call up on the emergency recall was fine, but scoring the way he did out of the gate required the Flames to be be brutally honest with him. He needed to be told that while it was incredible what he was doing that the road to being an NHL isn't easy and that his hot start would result in fans having unrealistic expectations.

2) His 19 year old season, because of his late birthday he was eligible to play in the AHL without burning a year off his contract. Not only that but because of the lockout they had a free preview of the kid for half a year! Sven started good but soon faded and wasn't playing mediocre hockey by the time the lockout ended and what did Feaster do? Gifted the kid a spot out of camp. Then he suffered an injury and ended up being sent back anyways while burning a year off his contract and possibly making him a UFA 1 year earlier.

3) Horrible rookie camp. Bad training camp. Gifted a roster spot. Did Feaster have an aversion to making this kid work for and earn anything? Then after being guaranteed a roster spot by Feaster he was demoted by Burke as the first order of business once he terminated Feaster. That in itself tells me what Burke thought of how Baertschi had been handled by Feaster.

I have to agree with you. There were two summers in a row there where he could have really put in effort and sped-up his development, but it seemed like he thought he'd already made it. I think it's put him at least a year behind on his development as a result.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I have to agree with you. There were two summers in a row there where he could have really put in effort and sped-up his development, but it seemed like he thought he'd already made it. I think it's put him at least a year behind on his development as a result.

The way Sven was handled by Feaster, is how the Oilers treat their young players. Look at the rest of our guys, look at Tatar and Nyquist on the Wings. Sven isn't playing up to his potential, but he has time to turn it around. Though admittedly, the clock is ticking. I've seen the right kind of strides in his game, if he can just find his offence again, he would be a fixture on our team.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA

Definitely agree that Sven is about a year behind on his development. Assuming he gets sent back down to Adirondack, if he plays well (which I think he will), he should make the team next year. I wonder if how well he plays in Adirondack affects the decision on resigning Glencross or not.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011

I finally agree with you on something Baertschi related. The rapture must be nigh.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503

The levels of ridiculousness in this post is staggering.

I do find it hilarious though that there are actually people who think Baertschi wouldn't be re-signed, if he isn't traded.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
The levels of ridiculousness in this post is staggering.

I do find it hilarious though that there are actually people who think Baertschi wouldn't be re-signed, if he isn't traded.
People actually think he won't be re-signed? :laugh::laugh: Oh my the fact people are that delusional is a scary thing.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
People actually think he won't be re-signed? :laugh::laugh: Oh my the fact people are that delusional is a scary thing.

No kidding.

Honestly, can't believe they're people acting like spoiled little kids whose toy wasn't as good as they were expecting it to be when it comes to prospects.

AgeOfBennett

Dec 1, 2014
BC
Gaudreau - bennett - poirier
Granlund - monahan - colborne/ acquired RW
Ferland - backlund - jooris
Bouma - Arnold - some big gritty guy

Gio - brodie
Wotherspoon - acquired player
Russell - sieloff

Gillies
Ortio

Edit: forgot klimchuk, not sure where I'd put him.

This is the closest roster to what I think it'll be in the next 2-3 years

My projection

Gaudreau - Bennett - Poirer
Hudler - Monahan - acquired RW (maybe Wayne Simmonds)
Ferland - Granlund - Jooris
Bouma - Colborne - Smith

Gio - Brodie
Russell/Wotherspoon - Acquired RH D (maybe Cody Franson)
Wotherspoon/Russell - Culkin (or other Dman from Adirondack)

Hiller/Ramo

I'll keep the goalies the same for now, I like the way they are playing

I think we definitely need to make sure we have more right handed players, on the team, Franson and Simmonds are both RHS and big guys which the flames could use

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
pks, just to make it simple, just slot in Ward. UFA in 2015 and we wouldn't have to waste assets. Plus, I think he'd be a great fit. Other than that, I do like your lineup. Engelland should also be slotted in.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
2 years:
Gaudreau-Monahan- Poirier
Raymond- Bennett -Hudler
Ferland - Backlund - Granlund
Bouma - Arnold - Jooris
Extra: Colbourne, Klimchuk

Brodano
Russell- Big Addition
Wotherspoon- Culkin
Extra: Sieloff, Kanzig

Goalies:
Ramo
Gillies

AHL: McDonald

AgeOfBennett

Dec 1, 2014
BC
Thanks! Ward would actually be a great fit, and would be great to pick him up via UFA. Hopefully the Flames trade Backs for a perhaps a RHS dman

AgeOfBennett

Dec 1, 2014
BC
foreverflamefan totally forgot Engelland! D would be more like

Gio - Brodie
Russell - Acquired RHS Dman
Wotherspoon - Engelland/Call-Up

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
foreverflamefan totally forgot Engelland! D would be more like

Gio - Brodie
Russell - Acquired RHS Dman
Wotherspoon - Engelland/Call-Up

I'd like...

Gio - Brodie
Russell - Connor Murphy/Ryan Sproul
Wotherspoon - Engelland

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
For me the Flames need one more stud defenceman and the rebuild would be complete.

I think Bennett and Poirier will be top 6 players to go with Gaudreau and Monahan. Lots of talent in guys like Granlund, Ferland, Klimchuk, Baertschi, etc. to round out the forwards.

Plus Calgary will always spend so if the prospect pool is deep then this team will be in the playoffs on an annual basis.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00